Dental implants are a popular and effective tooth replacement option. They are surgically placed into the jawbone to replace the root of a missing tooth. Implants are made of titanium, a biocompatible metal that fuses with the bone over time. This creates a strong and stable foundation for an artificial tooth, or crown.
Benefits of Dental Implants
* Look and feel natural: Dental implants closely resemble natural teeth in both appearance and function.
* Preserve bone: Unlike dentures or bridges, dental implants stimulate bone growth and help to prevent bone loss.
* Durable and long-lasting: Dental implants are designed to last for many years, with a success rate of over 95 per cent.
* Improve self-confidence: Replacing missing teeth with implants can restore self-confidence and improve overall quality of life.
Dental Implant Procedure
The dental implant procedure typically involves several stages:
* Initial consultation: Your dentist will evaluate your oral health and determine if you are a good candidate for dental implants.
* Placement of the implant: The dentist will surgically place the implant into the jawbone. This procedure is usually performed under local anesthesia.
* Healing period: The implant will need to heal for several months before the crown can be attached. During this time, you may be given a temporary tooth to wear.
* Attachment of the crown: Once the implant has healed, the dentist will attach a crown to the implant. The crown will be custom-made to match your natural teeth.
Types of Dental Implants include single tooth dental implants, dental implants supported bridges and full mouth dental implants.
There are two main types of full mouth dental implants:
* Traditional Full Mouth Dental Implants: This approach involves placing a series of individual dental implants throughout the jawbone to support a full denture. This technique is typically used when there is sufficient bone density to support the implants.
* All-on-4 Dental Implants: This technique utilises only four strategically placed implants to support a full set of replacement teeth. This method is particularly beneficial for patients with limited bone density or those who have experienced bone loss due to tooth loss.
Recovery from Dental Implant Surgery
Most people experience minimal discomfort after dental implant surgery. You may experience some swelling, bruising, and soreness at the implant site. Over-the-counter pain relievers can usually help to manage these symptoms.
Cost of Dental Implants
The cost of dental implants varies depending on the individual case. However, they are generally more expensive than other tooth replacement options, such as dentures or bridges.
Who is a Good Candidate for Dental Implants?
Dental implants are a good option for people who:
*Are missing one or more teeth
* Have healthy gums and jawbone
* Are in good overall health
* Are committed to good oral hygiene
If you are considering dental implants, feel free to contact the team at Main Street Dental Bacchus Marsh to see if they are right for you.
Main Street Dental is at 223 Main Street, Bacchus Marsh. Phone (03) 5367 5355.