MELTON & MOORABOOL
Home » News » Call to fund inquiry recommendations

Call to fund inquiry recommendations

The state government has tabled its response to a three-year-old inquiry in homelessness in Victoria, as Melton council experiments with a new program to manage homelessness locally.

In March 2021 the state government finished its parliamentary inquiry into homelessness in Victoria, which found a homelessness sector “overwhelmed” and made 51 recommendations to address the issue.

The state government, which was supposed to reply to the recommendations within six months, responded on February 21.

The report said there were 24,817 homeless people in Victoria in 2016. Since the release of the report the 2021 Census recorded a 24 per cent rise to more than 30,000 Victorians.

In the years since 2021, Star Weekly has also heard from multiple homelessness services that demand for homelessness services has increased sharply with the economic down-turn post-COVID.

To help address rising homelessness locally, Melton council launched its Rough Sleepers Program.

Melton council Community Care and Active Living manager Coral Crameri said the initiative is a partnership between Council, Melbourne City Mission, IPC Health and Western Metro Homelessness (Salvation Army).

“Members of the public can notify council about people sleeping rough, enabling our teams to coordinate with partner organisations to provide an appropriate and holistic outreach response,” she said.

“Since its rollout, Council has seen an increase in the number of rough sleeping notifications. The initiative’s primary focus is to establish a consistent approach in supporting individuals who are sleeping rough.”

Of the inquiry’s 51 recommendations, the government supported 45 fully or in-principle, committed to reviewing four and rejected two.

The Council to Homeless Persons (CHP) said the government’s centrepiece Housing Statement policy, released last year, did not address the committee’s recommendations, and it needs to be revised to fully fund the inquiry’s recommendations.

CHP chief executive Deborah Di Natale said money is the missing ingredient in this overdue response to critical recommendations that will reduce homelessness in Victoria.

“We need an iron-clad commitment that this year’s state budget will include the full amount needed to implement these reforms,” she said.

“In its response to the inquiry, the government has rightly pointed out some of the excellent homelessness initiatives that have been funded.

“But in the three long years since the inquiry, the most serious housing crisis in living memory has only worsened.”

Digital Editions


  • Grass fire in Bullengarook

    Grass fire in Bullengarook

    An out-of-control grassfire is burning at the intersection of Gisborne and Bacchus Marsh roads in Bullengarook, prompting an advice message for residents in Bullengarook, Coimadai,…

More News

  • What to look forward to in Moorabool

    What to look forward to in Moorabool

    Moorabool council is set to host an abundance of music and literature events across Bacchus marsh, Ballan and Blackwood this year, pairing with local artists and visiting talent. Council was…

  • Community calendar

    Community calendar

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 534644 Volunteer with L2P Help a disadvantaged young person gain essential driving hours by becoming an L2P Volunteer Driving Mentor. A few hours a…

  • Lions’ fall short

    Lions’ fall short

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 389722 Melton almost pulled off a win in a low scoring affair against Williamstown in the Victorian Sub-District Cricket Association east-west on the weekend.…

  • From the archives

    From the archives

    30 years ago 21 February 1996 A 200-metre section of High Street, Melton, would be closed and covered under a radical Melton Business Association proposal. 20 years go 21 February…

  • Ambulance response times up

    Ambulance response times up

    Ambulance response times across both Melton and Moorabool have improved slightly over the last quarter, according to the latest data released by Ambulance Victoria (AV). Paramedics in Melton responded to…

  • Coaches replace evening trains

    Coaches replace evening trains

    Evening train services on the Ballarat line will be replaced by coaches over three nights next month due to maintenance works. Coaches will replace evening trains for the entire journey…

  • A slippery problem

    A slippery problem

    Multiple snake sightings have been made at Burnside Heights Recreation Reserve, prompting safety concerns from Burnside Springs United Cricket Club and renewed calls for assistance from authorities. A snake was…

  • Total fire ban declared

    Total fire ban declared

    Residents across Melton and Moorabool are being urged to remain vigilant today, with a total fire ban declared for Victoria’s Central District amid hot, dry and winy conditions. Authorities have…

  • Peter Carey award returns

    Peter Carey award returns

    Submissions are now open for Moorabool’s tenth annual Peter Carey short story award. Moorabool Libraries and local writers Jem Tyler-Miller and Wayne Marshall will be celebrating the award for its…

  • Grass fire in Fiskville

    Grass fire in Fiskville

    Grassfire advice has been issued for the Ballan district. An advice message has been issued for Ballan, Fiskville, Mount Wallace and Yaloak as firefighters respond to a grassfire in Fiskville.…