MELTON & MOORABOOL
Home » News » Call to fund inquiry recommendations

Call to fund inquiry recommendations

The state government has tabled its response to a three-year-old inquiry in homelessness in Victoria, as Melton council experiments with a new program to manage homelessness locally.

In March 2021 the state government finished its parliamentary inquiry into homelessness in Victoria, which found a homelessness sector “overwhelmed” and made 51 recommendations to address the issue.

The state government, which was supposed to reply to the recommendations within six months, responded on February 21.

The report said there were 24,817 homeless people in Victoria in 2016. Since the release of the report the 2021 Census recorded a 24 per cent rise to more than 30,000 Victorians.

In the years since 2021, Star Weekly has also heard from multiple homelessness services that demand for homelessness services has increased sharply with the economic down-turn post-COVID.

To help address rising homelessness locally, Melton council launched its Rough Sleepers Program.

Melton council Community Care and Active Living manager Coral Crameri said the initiative is a partnership between Council, Melbourne City Mission, IPC Health and Western Metro Homelessness (Salvation Army).

“Members of the public can notify council about people sleeping rough, enabling our teams to coordinate with partner organisations to provide an appropriate and holistic outreach response,” she said.

“Since its rollout, Council has seen an increase in the number of rough sleeping notifications. The initiative’s primary focus is to establish a consistent approach in supporting individuals who are sleeping rough.”

Of the inquiry’s 51 recommendations, the government supported 45 fully or in-principle, committed to reviewing four and rejected two.

The Council to Homeless Persons (CHP) said the government’s centrepiece Housing Statement policy, released last year, did not address the committee’s recommendations, and it needs to be revised to fully fund the inquiry’s recommendations.

CHP chief executive Deborah Di Natale said money is the missing ingredient in this overdue response to critical recommendations that will reduce homelessness in Victoria.

“We need an iron-clad commitment that this year’s state budget will include the full amount needed to implement these reforms,” she said.

“In its response to the inquiry, the government has rightly pointed out some of the excellent homelessness initiatives that have been funded.

“But in the three long years since the inquiry, the most serious housing crisis in living memory has only worsened.”

Digital Editions


  • Memories go under the hammer

    Memories go under the hammer

    An original 1962 Jeep Willys four-by-four wagon which sits at the heart of fond family memories is just one of many vintage cars about to…

More News

  • Dog park breaks ground

    Dog park breaks ground

    There’s good news for Moorabool residents with a furry friend, as ground has broken on a brand new off-leash dog park in Maddingley. Site works have begun on the off-leash…

  • Paw-sitive impact

    Paw-sitive impact

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 534816 Meet Bunji, the wellbeing superstar who’s turning heads at Melton Specialist School and showing the important role therapy dogs can play in school…

  • More extended pool hours

    More extended pool hours

    Residents looking to cool off this week can head to the Bacchus Marsh and Ballan outdoor pools, which are set to open on Thursday 19 February, through to Saturday 21…

  • Mission completed by Keayang Zahara

    Mission completed by Keayang Zahara

    There was as much relief as excitement when Keayang Zahara romped home and banked a $500,000 bonus in the Group 1 Great Southern Star. Co-trainer Paddy Lee conceded it had…

  • Disappointment for Frigo

    Disappointment for Frigo

    It was disappointment for Melton’s Airleigh Frigo at the Winter Olympics on Wednesday. Making her Olympic debut, Frigo wasn’t able to make it through the qualifying rounds of the women’s…

  • Grass fire in Bullengarook

    Grass fire in Bullengarook

    An out-of-control grassfire is burning at the intersection of Gisborne and Bacchus Marsh roads in Bullengarook, prompting an advice message for residents in Bullengarook, Coimadai, Gisborne and Lerderderg. The alert…

  • Five arrested following Deanside pursuit and crash

    Five arrested following Deanside pursuit and crash

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 206998 Police have arrested five teenagers after an incident where a male was allegedly assaulted and dragged into a vehicle before being involved in…

  • Eagles big scalp

    Eagles big scalp

    Eynesbury Eagles pulled off one of the upsets of the Gisborne and District Cricket Association Johnstone Shield season on Saturday. With just one win of the season, the Eagles put…

  • Driving for greatness

    Driving for greatness

    Djerriwarrh Community and Education Services is welcoming new volunteers to join itdsL2P program, helping learner drivers reach their supervised driving goals and get going on the road with confidence. Since…

  • My Place

    My Place

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 533986 Kate Newitt is the principal of the recently de-merged Hillside Primary School. She spoke to Sam Porter about her role and her connection…