MELTON & MOORABOOL
Home » Sport » Tom Gleeson goes out in style with a premiership victory

Tom Gleeson goes out in style with a premiership victory

Diggers Rest captain Tom Gleeson went out with a bang in the Riddell District Football League grand final on Sunday.

With a flight to Canada booked for next week and no return date, it could be a while before he pulls on the jumper for the Burras.

But he made what could be his last game a good one, and was named best on ground in his side’s win against Riddell.

Gleeson, who was part of the Burras’ 2016 grand final, said this one was special in a different way.

“It’s pretty good and there’s no way to cap the feeling really,” he said.

“I think the last time I cried for 25 minutes after, thanks to losing five or six grand finals beforehand. That was a weight off the shoulders.

“That one was for the club, this one feels like it was for us.

“We wanted it a lot … we deserved it.”

While Gleeson was awarded the Doug McIntyre Medal as best on ground he was quick to praise all his teammates. However, he said while everyone contributed at some point of the game, he also thought there was someone else who deserved the medal.

“I think Taylor Hine is the stiffest man in Australia right now. He was incredible all day.

“I took a couple of marks at big times.”

Gleeson said the success of this year, not just in the seniors and reserves, started when both sides fell short of grand finals last year.

He said that spurred them on.

“We were pretty disappointed after last year, we thought we had the side to get there.

“We stumbled a couple of times out here and obviously with Simsy [Shaun Sims] not coaching us any more, it was all against us.

“Lobby [Jamie Lobb] got us all together and got us back on track.

“We always had belief.”

Once the season started the Burras were always in the mix, but not spoken about as flag favourites.

Gleeson said they probably didn’t get the recognition they deserved. They lost four games during the regular season by a total of less than four goals.

“We had flashes of brilliance, but a quarter cost us.

“We played some pretty bad footy, but in every game we fought back into it and always had that belief and never gave up.

“We thought we were inconsistent, as we thought we could have been doing better than we were.”

Gleeson said the community would really enjoy not only the seniors’ premiership, but also the reserves premiership.

“I don’t think we get the credit we deserve for keeping the group we’ve got together.”

 

Digger’s Rests Jamie Lobb and Tom Gleeson. Picture Shawn Smits.

Digital Editions


  • Faces of the west

    Faces of the west

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 532074 Each week Star Weekly photographers are out and about capturing events and people across the west.

More News

  • Aussie kids salt risk

    Aussie kids salt risk

    Research taken from Deakin University has suggested most Australian children are at risk of developing high blood pressure at a younger age due to eating too much salt. In a…

  • Celebrity alcohol ads slip into teens’ Insta feeds

    Celebrity alcohol ads slip into teens’ Insta feeds

    Celebrities are promoting their own alcohol products on Instagram without clear disclosure of advertising content and almost all posts are visible to underage users, according to new research from La…

  • New toolkit to help women report abuse in sport

    New toolkit to help women report abuse in sport

    Australian women face significant risk when disclosing gender-based violence in sport and often receive inadequate or harmful responses according to new research from La Trobe Univeristy. The research project, supported…

  • Finalists announced for AFL community venue award

    Finalists announced for AFL community venue award

    The 2025 finalists have been announced for the AFL’s Ken Gannon Football Facilities Award, recognising the projects that set the benchmark in best-practice design and development to support the continued…

  • Multicultural health committee expanded

    Multicultural health committee expanded

    Victoria’s Multicultural Health Advisory Committee has been expanded in an effort to make the state’s health system more inclusive and diverse. Health Minister Mary-Anne Thomas unveiled the strengthened and expanded…

  • Forum supports women living with epilepsy across all life stages

    Forum supports women living with epilepsy across all life stages

    Epilepsy Action Australia and Australian Women with Epilepsy are inviting women across the country to take part in a powerful one-day forum designed to uplift, inform and support women living…

  • Funding to improve road safety across Victoria

    Funding to improve road safety across Victoria

    Victorian community organisations and groups will get a total of $600,000 in grants from the Transport Accident Commission (TAC) to develop and implement local road safety projects. The funding, part…

  • Renewable energy soars

    Renewable energy soars

    Energy and Resources Minister Lily D’Ambrosio has announced that Victoria has exceeded its 2025 renewable energy target. Ms D’Ambrosio said renewables accounted for 44.6 per cent of the state’s electricity…

  • Jumpstarting young refugees driving journeys

    Jumpstarting young refugees driving journeys

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 228084 A new program will help young people from refugee backgrounds learn to drive. Minister for Roads and Road Safety Melissa Horne announced the…

  • Warriors seek consistency

    Warriors seek consistency

    The Western Warriors are hoping a bit more consistency will push them into the Victorian Netball League finals for the first time. The Warriors have finished with six wins in…