MELTON & MOORABOOL
Home » News » Rates waived for Melton refuge

Rates waived for Melton refuge

A rate exemption for a refuge for women and children fleeing domestic violence has been unanimously backed by Melton councillors.

Housing Choices Australia, which will manage the refuge, will purchase a Melton property as part of the state government’s response to recommendations from the Royal Commission into Family Violence.

The not-for-profit group applied to Melton council for a rate exemption, which will allow funding to be maximised. Council officers expect the value of the rates at the property would be between $1000 and $2000.

A council report, presented at last week’s meeting, described the request as “compelling” for several reasons, including:

•A lack of housing options being a significant barrier to women leaving violent relationships.

•A lack of domestic violence refuges in the western region.

•A council policy that identified the need for “affordable, accessible and flexible” facilities.

•The high number of domestic violence incidents in the municipality. In the 2014-15 financial year, police received an average of four call outs a day for domestic violence-related matters.

Councillors Sophie Ramsey, Lara Carli, Michelle Mendes, Melissa De Santis, Bob Turner, Steve Abboushi, Goran Kesic and Ken Hardy voted in favour of waiving the rates.

Cr Kathy Majdlik was absent from last week’s meeting.

As part of the state government’s $50 million Rapid Housing Assistance Program, 124 properties will be leased and 184 purchased. The refuges are expected to be operational by June 30.

Housing, Disability and Ageing Minister Martin Foley last year said the refuges were “crucial” to support women and children forced to flee their homes.

“It’s exciting to see this come to fruition, achieving real bricks and mortar results,” Mr Foley said. “We are working with agencies to provide emergency relief for people in housing crisis by increasing the number of houses available to provide urgent assistance to women and children in dire circumstances.”

Digital Editions


  • From the archives

    From the archives

    30 years ago 21 February 1996 A 200-metre section of High Street, Melton, would be closed and covered under a radical Melton Business Association proposal.…

More News

  • Peter Carey award returns

    Peter Carey award returns

    Submissions are now open for Moorabool’s tenth annual Peter Carey short story award. Moorabool Libraries and local writers Jem Tyler-Miller and Wayne Marshall will be celebrating the award for its…

  • Grass fire in Fiskville

    Grass fire in Fiskville

    Grassfire advice has been issued for the Ballan district. An advice message has been issued for Ballan, Fiskville, Mount Wallace and Yaloak as firefighters respond to a grassfire in Fiskville.…

  • Swayzee goes back-to-back

    Swayzee goes back-to-back

    Leap To Fame’s older brother Swayzee upstaged him again in another epic Hunter Cup and denied him a $1 million bonus at Melton last night. Just as he did last…

  • Get kinder ready

    Get kinder ready

    Melton council is gearing up for Kindergarten Readiness Month, with a series of free information sessions set to help families prepare for three- and-four-year old kindergarten. Parents and carers can…

  • Extended pool hours

    Extended pool hours

    Residents across Moorabool can cool off over the next three days with the Bacchus Marsh and Ballan pools set to open for extended hours. With the Bureau of Meteorology predicting…

  • Faces of the west

    Faces of the west

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 532074 Each week Star Weekly photographers are out and about capturing events and people across the west.

  • Mandatory training, mounting costs

    Mandatory training, mounting costs

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 323327 Moorabool Council is calling on the state government and peak local government bodies to boost professional development opportunities for councillors amid concerns ratepayers…

  • Georgies top flight return

    Georgies top flight return

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 534346 It was a day almost eight years in the making for Caroline Springs George Cross on Saturday. The Georgies made their return to…

  • Burnside on top

    Burnside on top

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 393637 Burnside Springs United couldn’t have asked for much more on day one of its Victorian Turf Cricket Association Russell Pollock Shield clash. with…

  • Additional health test for newborns

    Additional health test for newborns

    Victoria has become the first Australian jurisdiction to include sickle cell disease in its universal newborn health screening program. This expansion brings the total number of rare but serious conditions…