MELTON & MOORABOOL
Home » Uncategorized » Funds ensure safety, shelter for the homeless

Funds ensure safety, shelter for the homeless

The federal government has thrown a two-year lifeline to homelessness services.

Social Services Minister Scott Morrison last week announced $230 million in funding for the National Partnership Agreement on Homelessness (NPAH) and said priority would be given to services working with victims of family violence and homeless youth under 18.

“We have brought forward this announcement ahead of the May budget to give providers of homelessness services across Australia more certainty, enabling them to get on with their work of helping some of our most vulnerable people,” Mr Morrison said.

Women’s Health West (WHW) chief executive Robyn Gregory said key programs to divert women away from homelessness would have ended without the funding.

In the past financial year, WHW used NPAH funds to provide a 24-hour crisis response for 6209 women, install 187 “security measures” to improve the safety of 85 women and 111 children, and provide court support to 62 women to obtain intervention orders which forced the perpetrators of family violence to leave the family home.

“While this extension is more limited than our request, the news gives our staff some security as well as the important promise of ongoing services for women and children … in crisis,” Dr Gregory said.

North and West Homelessness Network co- ordinator Sarah Langmore also welcomed the decision.

“It’s very hard to provide a continuity of services when there’s no confirmation of funding,” she said.

“We support thousands of individuals and households in the west and those services are primarily dependent on [NPAH] funding.”

Ms Langmore said about 150 families and individuals presented every month seeking help for homelessness.

Mr Morrison called on state and territory governments to match the funding “to allow for continuity of homelessness services across Australia”.

But state Housing Minister Martin Foley said the Victorian government had not received details of the proposed federal package.

“The Andrews Labor government committed to a three-year agreement to provide more certainty and we call on the federal government to match the three years,” Mr Foley said.

“We’ll also work with the federal government to understand what this announcement means for services and our most vulnerable as there has been very little consultation to date.”

Digital Editions


  • Eagles big scalp

    Eagles big scalp

    Eynesbury Eagles pulled off one of the upsets of the Gisborne and District Cricket Association Johnstone Shield season on Saturday. With just one win of…

More News

  • Lions’ fall short

    Lions’ fall short

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 389722 Melton almost pulled off a win in a low scoring affair against Williamstown in the Victorian Sub-District Cricket Association east-west on the weekend.…

  • From the archives

    From the archives

    30 years ago 21 February 1996 A 200-metre section of High Street, Melton, would be closed and covered under a radical Melton Business Association proposal. 20 years go 21 February…

  • Ambulance response times up

    Ambulance response times up

    Ambulance response times across both Melton and Moorabool have improved slightly over the last quarter, according to the latest data released by Ambulance Victoria (AV). Paramedics in Melton responded to…

  • Coaches replace evening trains

    Coaches replace evening trains

    Evening train services on the Ballarat line will be replaced by coaches over three nights next month due to maintenance works. Coaches will replace evening trains for the entire journey…

  • A slippery problem

    A slippery problem

    Multiple snake sightings have been made at Burnside Heights Recreation Reserve, prompting safety concerns from Burnside Springs United Cricket Club and renewed calls for assistance from authorities. A snake was…

  • Total fire ban declared

    Total fire ban declared

    Residents across Melton and Moorabool are being urged to remain vigilant today, with a total fire ban declared for Victoria’s Central District amid hot, dry and winy conditions. Authorities have…

  • Peter Carey award returns

    Peter Carey award returns

    Submissions are now open for Moorabool’s tenth annual Peter Carey short story award. Moorabool Libraries and local writers Jem Tyler-Miller and Wayne Marshall will be celebrating the award for its…

  • Grass fire in Fiskville

    Grass fire in Fiskville

    Grassfire advice has been issued for the Ballan district. An advice message has been issued for Ballan, Fiskville, Mount Wallace and Yaloak as firefighters respond to a grassfire in Fiskville.…

  • Swayzee goes back-to-back

    Swayzee goes back-to-back

    Leap To Fame’s older brother Swayzee upstaged him again in another epic Hunter Cup and denied him a $1 million bonus at Melton last night. Just as he did last…

  • Get kinder ready

    Get kinder ready

    Melton council is gearing up for Kindergarten Readiness Month, with a series of free information sessions set to help families prepare for three- and-four-year old kindergarten. Parents and carers can…