MELTON & MOORABOOL
Home » Uncategorized » Family violence help embraced as confidence grows

Family violence help embraced as confidence grows

More than 1500 women have sought help for domestic violence from Women’s Health West (WHW) in the first two months of 2015 as the royal commission into family violence takes shape.

WHW chief executive Robyn Gregory said police had referred 820 women in January and 760 women in February to the organisation.

She expected the figures to rise as more women gained confidence in the system.

“We’ve got a state government that’s taking family violence seriously, politicians who are taking it seriously; there are services available and the Australian of the year, Rosie Batty, has put family violence more front and centre on the agenda,” Dr Gregory said.

“And with that comes a spike in demand and services.”

In January, Premier Daniel Andrews released the terms of reference for the Royal Commission into Family Violence and last month, the commission, headed by Justice Marcia Neave AO, was formally established.

Dr Gregory said it was important for the community to highlight the support services available for victims of domestic violence without forcing them to make decisions.

“The best thing we can do as a community is to speak up when we see or hear attitudes and behaviours that are encouraging of violence against women and children,” she said. “And that we let women know there are [services] available that can support their right to safety.”

Melton MP Don Nardella has organised free submission-writing workshops for Melton and Moorabool residents who would like to make a submission to the royal commission.

The workshops will explore how to make a submission while providing an overview and scope of the commission. Dr Gregory encouraged community groups to attend the workshops.

“There might be a small community of women from Liberia in Melton. They may have something in particular to say about their community and what would work for it [or] what systems should be in place … [we support] anything that encourages that community to be able to have an input in a way that would be taken seriously.”

Royal commission submission workshops

The workshops will run from 7-8.30pm on Wednesday, April 1, at Melton library, 31 McKenzie Street, Melton; and from 7-8.30pm on Tuesday, April 7, at the Lerderderg library, 215 Main Street, Bacchus Marsh.

Digital Editions


  • Swayzee goes back-to-back

    Swayzee goes back-to-back

    Leap To Fame’s older brother Swayzee upstaged him again in another epic Hunter Cup and denied him a $1 million bonus at Melton last night.…

More News

  • Georgies top flight return

    Georgies top flight return

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 534346 It was a day almost eight years in the making for Caroline Springs George Cross on Saturday. The Georgies made their return to…

  • Burnside on top

    Burnside on top

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 393637 Burnside Springs United couldn’t have asked for much more on day one of its Victorian Turf Cricket Association Russell Pollock Shield clash. with…

  • Additional health test for newborns

    Additional health test for newborns

    Victoria has become the first Australian jurisdiction to include sickle cell disease in its universal newborn health screening program. This expansion brings the total number of rare but serious conditions…

  • Aussie kids salt risk

    Aussie kids salt risk

    Research taken from Deakin University has suggested most Australian children are at risk of developing high blood pressure at a younger age due to eating too much salt. In a…

  • Celebrity alcohol ads slip into teens’ Insta feeds

    Celebrity alcohol ads slip into teens’ Insta feeds

    Celebrities are promoting their own alcohol products on Instagram without clear disclosure of advertising content and almost all posts are visible to underage users, according to new research from La…

  • New toolkit to help women report abuse in sport

    New toolkit to help women report abuse in sport

    Australian women face significant risk when disclosing gender-based violence in sport and often receive inadequate or harmful responses according to new research from La Trobe Univeristy. The research project, supported…

  • Finalists announced for AFL community venue award

    Finalists announced for AFL community venue award

    The 2025 finalists have been announced for the AFL’s Ken Gannon Football Facilities Award, recognising the projects that set the benchmark in best-practice design and development to support the continued…

  • Multicultural health committee expanded

    Multicultural health committee expanded

    Victoria’s Multicultural Health Advisory Committee has been expanded in an effort to make the state’s health system more inclusive and diverse. Health Minister Mary-Anne Thomas unveiled the strengthened and expanded…

  • Forum supports women living with epilepsy across all life stages

    Forum supports women living with epilepsy across all life stages

    Epilepsy Action Australia and Australian Women with Epilepsy are inviting women across the country to take part in a powerful one-day forum designed to uplift, inform and support women living…

  • Funding to improve road safety across Victoria

    Funding to improve road safety across Victoria

    Victorian community organisations and groups will get a total of $600,000 in grants from the Transport Accident Commission (TAC) to develop and implement local road safety projects. The funding, part…