MELTON & MOORABOOL
Home » Uncategorized » Doncaster: Teen murder accused remanded

Doncaster: Teen murder accused remanded

UPDATE: The father of Doncaster schoolgirl Masa Vukotic has faced her alleged murderer in a courtroom, fixing his gaze on Sean Price from the moment the accused man appeared in handcuffs.

Slabvoljub Vukotic had waited patiently for 90 minutes in Melbourne Magistrates Court on Friday morning before staring intently at Mr Price, 31, who appeared in custody for a filing hearing.

Mr Vukotic, dressed in black, hardly took his eyes off Mr Price – who surrendered to police on Thursday – after he was led into court flanked by two custody centre officers.

The Albion man is accused of stabbing the 17-year-old VCE student in a park near her home on Tuesday.

Mr Price is also charged with offences of rape, robbery and assault allegedly committed after the death of Ms Vukotic, who was attacked while on an evening walk.

Mr Vukotic spoke to two Homicide Squad detectives outside the courtroom door before Mr Price’s appearance, and then entered just before 10am.

When Mr Price was led into the dock, he appeared to put a thumb in his mouth and widen his eyes, but otherwise sat quietly during the 15-minute hearing, which set dates for the service of the prosecution brief, the lodgement of evidence and a next appearance.

Mr Vukotic sat with a staff member of the Office of Public Prosecutions victim support team throughout the hearing.

The accused was led into court at 11.32am and sat behind the closed glass security screen.

Prosecutor Gemma Walton said he was charged on March 19 and she provided a copy of the remand summary to magistrate Charlie Rozencwajg.

Ms Walton asked for extended dates for provision of the hand-up brief and Mr Price’s appearance at a later committal mention hearing.

She explained that police needed to collate extensive CCTV footage across 12 suburbs, there were exhibits to be lodged for forensic analysis and “multiple offences” were involved.

Ms Walton also told Mr Rozencwajg that members of Ms Vukotic’s family were present.

Defence lawyer Emily Clark did not object to the application for extended dates and said her client had previously had “custody management issues”.

Ms Clark said this had involved charges that arose between Mr Price and “private detention providers” and his management in custody.

She responded to Mr Rozencwajg that Mr Price was not making allegations against custody staff and that he also did not want to be seen by a doctor or a nurse.

Mr Price was remanded to appear again on June 26.

When Mr Price was led from the dock, a voice was heard to say: “Coward.”

This story first appeared in The Age

Related

Albion man linked to Sunshine crime spree

Albion man arrested over Doncaster schoolgirl death

Digital Editions


  • Faces of the west

    Faces of the west

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 532074 Each week Star Weekly photographers are out and about capturing events and people across the west.

More News

  • Aussie kids salt risk

    Aussie kids salt risk

    Research taken from Deakin University has suggested most Australian children are at risk of developing high blood pressure at a younger age due to eating too much salt. In a…

  • Celebrity alcohol ads slip into teens’ Insta feeds

    Celebrity alcohol ads slip into teens’ Insta feeds

    Celebrities are promoting their own alcohol products on Instagram without clear disclosure of advertising content and almost all posts are visible to underage users, according to new research from La…

  • New toolkit to help women report abuse in sport

    New toolkit to help women report abuse in sport

    Australian women face significant risk when disclosing gender-based violence in sport and often receive inadequate or harmful responses according to new research from La Trobe Univeristy. The research project, supported…

  • Finalists announced for AFL community venue award

    Finalists announced for AFL community venue award

    The 2025 finalists have been announced for the AFL’s Ken Gannon Football Facilities Award, recognising the projects that set the benchmark in best-practice design and development to support the continued…

  • Multicultural health committee expanded

    Multicultural health committee expanded

    Victoria’s Multicultural Health Advisory Committee has been expanded in an effort to make the state’s health system more inclusive and diverse. Health Minister Mary-Anne Thomas unveiled the strengthened and expanded…

  • Forum supports women living with epilepsy across all life stages

    Forum supports women living with epilepsy across all life stages

    Epilepsy Action Australia and Australian Women with Epilepsy are inviting women across the country to take part in a powerful one-day forum designed to uplift, inform and support women living…

  • Funding to improve road safety across Victoria

    Funding to improve road safety across Victoria

    Victorian community organisations and groups will get a total of $600,000 in grants from the Transport Accident Commission (TAC) to develop and implement local road safety projects. The funding, part…

  • Renewable energy soars

    Renewable energy soars

    Energy and Resources Minister Lily D’Ambrosio has announced that Victoria has exceeded its 2025 renewable energy target. Ms D’Ambrosio said renewables accounted for 44.6 per cent of the state’s electricity…

  • Jumpstarting young refugees driving journeys

    Jumpstarting young refugees driving journeys

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 228084 A new program will help young people from refugee backgrounds learn to drive. Minister for Roads and Road Safety Melissa Horne announced the…

  • Warriors seek consistency

    Warriors seek consistency

    The Western Warriors are hoping a bit more consistency will push them into the Victorian Netball League finals for the first time. The Warriors have finished with six wins in…