MELTON & MOORABOOL
Home » Uncategorized » Kids, driveways – a killer combo, says safety officer

Kids, driveways – a killer combo, says safety officer

Road safety doesn’t begin on the roads – it starts on driveways.

That’s the message from Melton council’s road safety officer, Jan Webb.

She is urging parents to keep their eyes peeled and to exercise “driveway safety”, particularly at the beginning and end of the school day.

Most driveway accidents occur from 8-10am and 4-6pm.

“We put a lot of focus on kids and passengers when they’re in the car and on the roads, but we don’t think about cars in and around the home,” Ms Webb said.

“My recommendation to parents would be to be aware of where their children are in relation to the car.”

Ms Webb said supervising young kids, especially those under the age of eight, was a must.

“Children should not be allowed to play in front yards where there is shared space between cars and the yard,” Ms Webb said.

Last week, Kidsafe launched its 2015 Return To School Safe: Driveway Safety campaign.

The campaign focuses on three messages: supervise, separate and see.

“Never leave young children alone to play, especially near parked or moving vehicles,” the campaign urges drivers.

“Separate children’s play spaces from garages and driveways. Drivers should get into the habit of walking around their vehicle before getting into it when leaving an area where a young child is present.”

On average, seven children die each year in Australia after being run over in driveways.

State Families and Children Minister Jenny Mikakos urged everyone to heed the campaign message.

“Letting your guard down in the driveway can be fatal,” Ms Mikakos said.

“Just being aware of the dangers is the first step towards protecting young children, which is why this Kidsafe campaign is so important.”

Digital Editions


  • Eagles big scalp

    Eagles big scalp

    Eynesbury Eagles pulled off one of the upsets of the Gisborne and District Cricket Association Johnstone Shield season on Saturday. With just one win of…

More News

  • Lions’ fall short

    Lions’ fall short

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 389722 Melton almost pulled off a win in a low scoring affair against Williamstown in the Victorian Sub-District Cricket Association east-west on the weekend.…

  • From the archives

    From the archives

    30 years ago 21 February 1996 A 200-metre section of High Street, Melton, would be closed and covered under a radical Melton Business Association proposal. 20 years go 21 February…

  • Ambulance response times up

    Ambulance response times up

    Ambulance response times across both Melton and Moorabool have improved slightly over the last quarter, according to the latest data released by Ambulance Victoria (AV). Paramedics in Melton responded to…

  • Coaches replace evening trains

    Coaches replace evening trains

    Evening train services on the Ballarat line will be replaced by coaches over three nights next month due to maintenance works. Coaches will replace evening trains for the entire journey…

  • A slippery problem

    A slippery problem

    Multiple snake sightings have been made at Burnside Heights Recreation Reserve, prompting safety concerns from Burnside Springs United Cricket Club and renewed calls for assistance from authorities. A snake was…

  • Total fire ban declared

    Total fire ban declared

    Residents across Melton and Moorabool are being urged to remain vigilant today, with a total fire ban declared for Victoria’s Central District amid hot, dry and winy conditions. Authorities have…

  • Peter Carey award returns

    Peter Carey award returns

    Submissions are now open for Moorabool’s tenth annual Peter Carey short story award. Moorabool Libraries and local writers Jem Tyler-Miller and Wayne Marshall will be celebrating the award for its…

  • Grass fire in Fiskville

    Grass fire in Fiskville

    Grassfire advice has been issued for the Ballan district. An advice message has been issued for Ballan, Fiskville, Mount Wallace and Yaloak as firefighters respond to a grassfire in Fiskville.…

  • Swayzee goes back-to-back

    Swayzee goes back-to-back

    Leap To Fame’s older brother Swayzee upstaged him again in another epic Hunter Cup and denied him a $1 million bonus at Melton last night. Just as he did last…

  • Get kinder ready

    Get kinder ready

    Melton council is gearing up for Kindergarten Readiness Month, with a series of free information sessions set to help families prepare for three- and-four-year old kindergarten. Parents and carers can…