MELTON & MOORABOOL
Home » Uncategorized » Fewer drunks, more speedsters on Melton Highway

Fewer drunks, more speedsters on Melton Highway

Melton highway patrol did not net a huge haul of road offenders over the Australia Day weekend, but officers are still concerned about drivers who flout the law.

Operation Amity 2015 started across the state on Friday, January 23, and finished last Monday. Melton and Caroline Springs police tested 2088 drivers and booked three drivers for exceeding the blood-alcohol limit; four people were driving while suspended or disqualified; eight were unlicensed; there were 49 speeding offences and one mobile phone offence; two drivers disobeyed road signs and three were caught for seatbelt offences.

Senior Sergeant Ross Burbidge said while he was “pleased” with the results, drivers needed to be more cautious and careful.

“I’m pleased we got only three drivers for exceeding the alcohol level. Normally our detection rate is one in every 300 to 400 drivers,” he said. “But we’ve still got a large number of people speeding.

“People are sometimes in a hurry, sometimes they’re not concentrating, and at other times they’re just being careless.”

He said the Western and Melton highways were, “unfortunately”, hotspots for speeding drivers.

“People don’t seem to have any care for any other drivers or themselves. The evidence is that if people speed, it increases their risk of collision.”

Senior Sergeant Burbidge said even though seatbelt offences were declining each year, police still saw a lot of people not wearing them.

“Sometimes we even see children in the back seat who aren’t wearing their seatbelts, and it’s disappointing,” he said.

Moorabool police detected two drivers exceeding the blood-alcohol limit, two were driving while suspended or disqualified, and one was unlicensed.

There were three unregistered vehicles taken off the road, 28 speeding offences recorded and three drivers who disobeyed road signs.

Road policing Assistant Commissioner Robert Hill said there was still much more to be done to make the roads safer.

“One fatality-free weekend doesn’t change the fact 18 people have lost their lives on our roads already this year,” Assistant Commissioner Hill said.

The road toll after the long weekend was 24, three more than at the same time last year.

Digital Editions


  • Eagles big scalp

    Eagles big scalp

    Eynesbury Eagles pulled off one of the upsets of the Gisborne and District Cricket Association Johnstone Shield season on Saturday. With just one win of…

More News

  • Lions’ fall short

    Lions’ fall short

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 389722 Melton almost pulled off a win in a low scoring affair against Williamstown in the Victorian Sub-District Cricket Association east-west on the weekend.…

  • From the archives

    From the archives

    30 years ago 21 February 1996 A 200-metre section of High Street, Melton, would be closed and covered under a radical Melton Business Association proposal. 20 years go 21 February…

  • Ambulance response times up

    Ambulance response times up

    Ambulance response times across both Melton and Moorabool have improved slightly over the last quarter, according to the latest data released by Ambulance Victoria (AV). Paramedics in Melton responded to…

  • Coaches replace evening trains

    Coaches replace evening trains

    Evening train services on the Ballarat line will be replaced by coaches over three nights next month due to maintenance works. Coaches will replace evening trains for the entire journey…

  • A slippery problem

    A slippery problem

    Multiple snake sightings have been made at Burnside Heights Recreation Reserve, prompting safety concerns from Burnside Springs United Cricket Club and renewed calls for assistance from authorities. A snake was…

  • Total fire ban declared

    Total fire ban declared

    Residents across Melton and Moorabool are being urged to remain vigilant today, with a total fire ban declared for Victoria’s Central District amid hot, dry and winy conditions. Authorities have…

  • Peter Carey award returns

    Peter Carey award returns

    Submissions are now open for Moorabool’s tenth annual Peter Carey short story award. Moorabool Libraries and local writers Jem Tyler-Miller and Wayne Marshall will be celebrating the award for its…

  • Grass fire in Fiskville

    Grass fire in Fiskville

    Grassfire advice has been issued for the Ballan district. An advice message has been issued for Ballan, Fiskville, Mount Wallace and Yaloak as firefighters respond to a grassfire in Fiskville.…

  • Swayzee goes back-to-back

    Swayzee goes back-to-back

    Leap To Fame’s older brother Swayzee upstaged him again in another epic Hunter Cup and denied him a $1 million bonus at Melton last night. Just as he did last…

  • Get kinder ready

    Get kinder ready

    Melton council is gearing up for Kindergarten Readiness Month, with a series of free information sessions set to help families prepare for three- and-four-year old kindergarten. Parents and carers can…