MELTON & MOORABOOL
Home » Uncategorized » Request for ambulance waiting times denied

Request for ambulance waiting times denied

Localised ambulance response times won’t be released to the public, despite growing concerns over delays and shortages in Melbourne’s outer suburbs.

Opposition health spokesman Wade Noonan said Labor’s freedom of information request for figures for the first half of this year had been denied.

He said the release of localised response times was recommended by the state auditor-general in 2010.

“The community should have access to the figures to understand response times, as it [helps] to advocate for improvements,’’ Mr Noonan said. He said waiting times in the outer-west continued to grow and were contributing to deaths.

In Melton, there have been three deaths since October 2012 where patients have waited longer than 15 minutes for an ambulance. Lilliana Mizzi, 78, waited four hours for an ambulance after having a stroke. Brodie Wilson, 18, waited 27 minutes for paramedics to come from Sunbury after having an asthmatic attack. And Matthew Gibbs, 23, waited 16 minutes after having a cardiac arrest at a Melton recreation centre on October 8. The most recent localised figures released, for July-December 2012, showed the average waiting time for life-threatening cases in Melton was 14.13 minutes.

Hillside’s average waiting time of 15.38 minutes was above the state benchmark of 15 minutes for ‘‘code one’’ cases.

Ambulance Victoria chief executive Greg Sassella said he didn’t think releasing localised figures would help.

“I don’t think it’s [waiting times] a secret, as it’s in our annual report and other releases. It [releasing figures] creates an incorrect premise of how we operate.”

Ambulance Victoria group manager Tony Elliott said the service was increasing resources in Melton.

“In April this year, an extra night-shift ambulance and paramedics were added to Melton and extra peak-period ambulances and paramedics were also added to Caroline Springs, Werribee and Bacchus Marsh,’’ Mr Elliott said.

“Additional staff and ambulance resources for periods of peak demand will also be added to Melton, Werribee and Sunbury by April next year.” 

Digital Editions


  • From the archives

    From the archives

    30 years ago 21 February 1996 A 200-metre section of High Street, Melton, would be closed and covered under a radical Melton Business Association proposal.…

More News

  • Peter Carey award returns

    Peter Carey award returns

    Submissions are now open for Moorabool’s tenth annual Peter Carey short story award. Moorabool Libraries and local writers Jem Tyler-Miller and Wayne Marshall will be celebrating the award for its…

  • Grass fire in Fiskville

    Grass fire in Fiskville

    Grassfire advice has been issued for the Ballan district. An advice message has been issued for Ballan, Fiskville, Mount Wallace and Yaloak as firefighters respond to a grassfire in Fiskville.…

  • Swayzee goes back-to-back

    Swayzee goes back-to-back

    Leap To Fame’s older brother Swayzee upstaged him again in another epic Hunter Cup and denied him a $1 million bonus at Melton last night. Just as he did last…

  • Get kinder ready

    Get kinder ready

    Melton council is gearing up for Kindergarten Readiness Month, with a series of free information sessions set to help families prepare for three- and-four-year old kindergarten. Parents and carers can…

  • Extended pool hours

    Extended pool hours

    Residents across Moorabool can cool off over the next three days with the Bacchus Marsh and Ballan pools set to open for extended hours. With the Bureau of Meteorology predicting…

  • Faces of the west

    Faces of the west

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 532074 Each week Star Weekly photographers are out and about capturing events and people across the west.

  • Mandatory training, mounting costs

    Mandatory training, mounting costs

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 323327 Moorabool Council is calling on the state government and peak local government bodies to boost professional development opportunities for councillors amid concerns ratepayers…

  • Georgies top flight return

    Georgies top flight return

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 534346 It was a day almost eight years in the making for Caroline Springs George Cross on Saturday. The Georgies made their return to…

  • Burnside on top

    Burnside on top

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 393637 Burnside Springs United couldn’t have asked for much more on day one of its Victorian Turf Cricket Association Russell Pollock Shield clash. with…

  • Additional health test for newborns

    Additional health test for newborns

    Victoria has become the first Australian jurisdiction to include sickle cell disease in its universal newborn health screening program. This expansion brings the total number of rare but serious conditions…