MELTON & MOORABOOL
Home » Uncategorized » Melton council impounds attack kelpie

Melton council impounds attack kelpie

Rangers have seized a prize-winning kelpie that allegedly attacked a six-year-old girl at a Balliang East property earlier this year.

After a two-month investigation, Moorabool council officers
attended the property last Monday and took the animal to a secure
location.

The dog will remain impounded until the matter is heard in court in early October.

The girl underwent reconstructive microsurgery after suffering extensive facial injuries.

Council chief executive Rob Croxford said because the attack
occurred at a private residence, it was the council’s responsibility to
investigate.

He said investigators had liaised with the victim’s family, the dog’s owners, lawyers and police since the attack in June.

Following reports that the girl’s family had been frustrated with
the delay, Mr Croxford said the investigation had to be conducted
thoroughly.

“This is a very difficult matter for everyone involved,” he said.
“I commend the work done by our council officers in the way they have
worked through all the complex issues.”

Under the Domestic Animals Act, a dog that has attacked can be
seized and destroyed immediately, or impounded while the matter is
investigated.

A separate attack on a two-year-old girl occurred in Toolern Vale on August 8.

Paramedics rushed the toddler to the Royal Children’s Hospital with facial injuries after she was bitten about 5.30pm. 

Digital Editions


  • Eagles big scalp

    Eagles big scalp

    Eynesbury Eagles pulled off one of the upsets of the Gisborne and District Cricket Association Johnstone Shield season on Saturday. With just one win of…

More News

  • Lions’ fall short

    Lions’ fall short

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 389722 Melton almost pulled off a win in a low scoring affair against Williamstown in the Victorian Sub-District Cricket Association east-west on the weekend.…

  • From the archives

    From the archives

    30 years ago 21 February 1996 A 200-metre section of High Street, Melton, would be closed and covered under a radical Melton Business Association proposal. 20 years go 21 February…

  • Ambulance response times up

    Ambulance response times up

    Ambulance response times across both Melton and Moorabool have improved slightly over the last quarter, according to the latest data released by Ambulance Victoria (AV). Paramedics in Melton responded to…

  • Coaches replace evening trains

    Coaches replace evening trains

    Evening train services on the Ballarat line will be replaced by coaches over three nights next month due to maintenance works. Coaches will replace evening trains for the entire journey…

  • A slippery problem

    A slippery problem

    Multiple snake sightings have been made at Burnside Heights Recreation Reserve, prompting safety concerns from Burnside Springs United Cricket Club and renewed calls for assistance from authorities. A snake was…

  • Total fire ban declared

    Total fire ban declared

    Residents across Melton and Moorabool are being urged to remain vigilant today, with a total fire ban declared for Victoria’s Central District amid hot, dry and winy conditions. Authorities have…

  • Peter Carey award returns

    Peter Carey award returns

    Submissions are now open for Moorabool’s tenth annual Peter Carey short story award. Moorabool Libraries and local writers Jem Tyler-Miller and Wayne Marshall will be celebrating the award for its…

  • Grass fire in Fiskville

    Grass fire in Fiskville

    Grassfire advice has been issued for the Ballan district. An advice message has been issued for Ballan, Fiskville, Mount Wallace and Yaloak as firefighters respond to a grassfire in Fiskville.…

  • Swayzee goes back-to-back

    Swayzee goes back-to-back

    Leap To Fame’s older brother Swayzee upstaged him again in another epic Hunter Cup and denied him a $1 million bonus at Melton last night. Just as he did last…

  • Get kinder ready

    Get kinder ready

    Melton council is gearing up for Kindergarten Readiness Month, with a series of free information sessions set to help families prepare for three- and-four-year old kindergarten. Parents and carers can…