MELTON & MOORABOOL
Home » Uncategorized » Q&A: Push for time limits at council meetings

Q&A: Push for time limits at council meetings

A MELTON residents group fears proposed changes to the council’s public question time will “silence” ratepayers.

Cr Bob Turner last week moved a motion to change the way question time operates, including the introduction of a 20-minute limit.

Changes also include a two-minute limit on each question and answer from the public.

The motion, which failed for the lack of a seconder, will likely return to council at its next general meeting.

WHAT DO YOU THINK? Post a comment below.

Cambridge, Coburn and Watts Residents Association president Nathan Miles said a 20-minute limit on question time would be diabolical.

“These proposed changes are not democratic, fair or just. I believe they serve to silence our community.

“They are restricting the openness and transparency of council to the community. They are also open to be seriously abused and misused.”

During question time last week, Mr Miles asked two questions as an individual and two on behalf of the residents association, which the council refused to answer.

Cr Lara Carli told the Weekly all questions should be answered, regardless of who they came from.

“I would like to see the number of questions increased. We’ve got so many different associations in the municipality. If someone personally asked to two questions I feel they have a right to ask another two questions on behalf of an organisation.”

Mr Miles said the council had to remain accountable, and answer to the community. “Residents only have the opportunity once a month to ask council questions. Council must be transparent. Melton Council’s attempt to silence the community and restrict transparency is unacceptable.”

Digital Editions


  • Ambulance response times up

    Ambulance response times up

    Ambulance response times across both Melton and Moorabool have improved slightly over the last quarter, according to the latest data released by Ambulance Victoria (AV).…

More News

  • Grass fire in Fiskville

    Grass fire in Fiskville

    Grassfire advice has been issued for the Ballan district. An advice message has been issued for Ballan, Fiskville, Mount Wallace and Yaloak as firefighters respond to a grassfire in Fiskville.…

  • Swayzee goes back-to-back

    Swayzee goes back-to-back

    Leap To Fame’s older brother Swayzee upstaged him again in another epic Hunter Cup and denied him a $1 million bonus at Melton last night. Just as he did last…

  • Get kinder ready

    Get kinder ready

    Melton council is gearing up for Kindergarten Readiness Month, with a series of free information sessions set to help families prepare for three- and-four-year old kindergarten. Parents and carers can…

  • Extended pool hours

    Extended pool hours

    Residents across Moorabool can cool off over the next three days with the Bacchus Marsh and Ballan pools set to open for extended hours. With the Bureau of Meteorology predicting…

  • Faces of the west

    Faces of the west

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 532074 Each week Star Weekly photographers are out and about capturing events and people across the west.

  • Mandatory training, mounting costs

    Mandatory training, mounting costs

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 323327 Moorabool Council is calling on the state government and peak local government bodies to boost professional development opportunities for councillors amid concerns ratepayers…

  • Georgies top flight return

    Georgies top flight return

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 534346 It was a day almost eight years in the making for Caroline Springs George Cross on Saturday. The Georgies made their return to…

  • Burnside on top

    Burnside on top

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 393637 Burnside Springs United couldn’t have asked for much more on day one of its Victorian Turf Cricket Association Russell Pollock Shield clash. with…

  • Additional health test for newborns

    Additional health test for newborns

    Victoria has become the first Australian jurisdiction to include sickle cell disease in its universal newborn health screening program. This expansion brings the total number of rare but serious conditions…

  • Aussie kids salt risk

    Aussie kids salt risk

    Research taken from Deakin University has suggested most Australian children are at risk of developing high blood pressure at a younger age due to eating too much salt. In a…