MELTON & MOORABOOL
Home » Sport » Warriors left to rue mid game lapse

Warriors left to rue mid game lapse

The Western Warriors were made to rue a poor third quarter in their Victorian Netball League loss to the Casey Demons on Wednesday night.

It was a good contest in the first half with the Warriors leading by one goal at the main break.

A 24-13 third quarter in the favour of the Demons turned the game and the lead got out to nearly 20 goals.

While the Warriors were able to peg it back slightly, the damage was down as the Warriors lost 77-68.

Warriors coach Kim Bailey said the result showed what happened when they didn’t play the full 60 minutes.

“You can’t win games when you have a 24-13 quarter,” she said. “We lost our speed on the ball and that is because we had a frantic first half.

“We need to make sure we continue with that consistency right through the 60 minutes. You can’t win a game if you’re going to play 45 minutes, that’s what we did.”

Bailey said the lead got out too much for them to have any chance of getting back into the game.

She said they struggled with the pace and Emma Ryde in the Demons shooting circle.

“We are still working out combinations and getting everyone familiar with each other,” she said.

“It’s a long haul. I would like to say we wanted it to happen over night, we knew it wasn’t going to happen.”

The Warriors suffered an injury blow with Olivia Ellis falling during the game and left the court with a suspected broken arm.

Bailey said it’s a pretty nasty injury by the looks of it.

On the other side, Bailey said they were hopeful of getting Ruby Shannon and Eliza Gollant back for their next game.

“We’re really confident we’ll have Ruby back and Eliza played a quarter on the weekend, will see her again on Saturday and hopefully we will be able to run her a couple of quarters through.

“We really miss someone like Liz, she can just come through and take those intercepts out of nowhere.”

Bailey said they weren’t sure when Abbey Ellis would return after sustaining a shoulder injury while playing with the Opals but were confident in their attacking end without her.

The Warriors 23 and under side produced one of its best performances to come away with a 60-58 win.

Bailey said it was really good for the side.

“They had been in front and let the lead go a couple of weeks ago, they really fought hard and were really composed tonight [Wednesday],” she said.

“Something we haven’t seen a lot of. Moves done at the right time and we were really happy for them.”

The Warriors face the Wilson Storage Southern Saints in their next match.

Bailey said she thought it would be a good match up.

Digital Editions


  • Eagles big scalp

    Eagles big scalp

    Eynesbury Eagles pulled off one of the upsets of the Gisborne and District Cricket Association Johnstone Shield season on Saturday. With just one win of…

More News

  • Lions’ fall short

    Lions’ fall short

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 389722 Melton almost pulled off a win in a low scoring affair against Williamstown in the Victorian Sub-District Cricket Association east-west on the weekend.…

  • From the archives

    From the archives

    30 years ago 21 February 1996 A 200-metre section of High Street, Melton, would be closed and covered under a radical Melton Business Association proposal. 20 years go 21 February…

  • Ambulance response times up

    Ambulance response times up

    Ambulance response times across both Melton and Moorabool have improved slightly over the last quarter, according to the latest data released by Ambulance Victoria (AV). Paramedics in Melton responded to…

  • Coaches replace evening trains

    Coaches replace evening trains

    Evening train services on the Ballarat line will be replaced by coaches over three nights next month due to maintenance works. Coaches will replace evening trains for the entire journey…

  • A slippery problem

    A slippery problem

    Multiple snake sightings have been made at Burnside Heights Recreation Reserve, prompting safety concerns from Burnside Springs United Cricket Club and renewed calls for assistance from authorities. A snake was…

  • Total fire ban declared

    Total fire ban declared

    Residents across Melton and Moorabool are being urged to remain vigilant today, with a total fire ban declared for Victoria’s Central District amid hot, dry and winy conditions. Authorities have…

  • Peter Carey award returns

    Peter Carey award returns

    Submissions are now open for Moorabool’s tenth annual Peter Carey short story award. Moorabool Libraries and local writers Jem Tyler-Miller and Wayne Marshall will be celebrating the award for its…

  • Grass fire in Fiskville

    Grass fire in Fiskville

    Grassfire advice has been issued for the Ballan district. An advice message has been issued for Ballan, Fiskville, Mount Wallace and Yaloak as firefighters respond to a grassfire in Fiskville.…

  • Swayzee goes back-to-back

    Swayzee goes back-to-back

    Leap To Fame’s older brother Swayzee upstaged him again in another epic Hunter Cup and denied him a $1 million bonus at Melton last night. Just as he did last…

  • Get kinder ready

    Get kinder ready

    Melton council is gearing up for Kindergarten Readiness Month, with a series of free information sessions set to help families prepare for three- and-four-year old kindergarten. Parents and carers can…