MELTON & MOORABOOL
Home » Sport » Samason joins Lakers

Samason joins Lakers

Caroline Springs has unveiled one of the biggest signings in league history for next year’s Western Netball League.

Former Melbourne Vixen Rahni Samason will join the Lakers next season in a big coup for both the club and league.

Samason has also played in the ANZ Premiership in New Zealand and is known for her shooting ability.

The Lakers said Samason’s composure under pressure and ability to change a game in an instant make her an incredible pick-up for the club.

Lakers netball coordinator Nadine Oborne said this was pretty massive for the club.

“We’ve gone big this year,” she said. “It’s very exciting.

“We have a strong junior program and we want to build that pathway between juniors and seniors.

“It’s not only huge for us in seniors and division 1 but juniors will look up to her and see they are at the same club.”

Oborne said a family connection was what got Samason across the line to join the club.

Samason had been out to the club a couple of months ago for clinic and liked the vibe with both the juniors and seniors.

“She didn’t hesitate” Oborne said.

Samason will be part of a new look goal circle for the Lakers next season.

The club has also announced the signing of Charlize Bellette.

Bellette made her SN reserves debut last season for the Melbourne Mavericks and has recently signed with the Western Warriors 23 and under Victorian Netball League side.

She is also part of the under-19 Victorian squad.

“To play with someone in the circle with Rahni’s experience will help her game,” Oborne said.

The Lakers had five teams in 2025 with all but one team making finals. The division 1 claimed the minor premiership before falling short of the grand final.

Oborne said the focus for the club has been to continue to bring players through the pathway and see them flourish.

She said they hoped that would result in some premiership success.

“We’ve got a lot of juniors coming through into seniors as soon as they turn 15,” she said.

“We had Heidi [Ete] who is 14 and one of the youngest players in the competition.

“She made team of the year in her first year.

“We have got so much talent coming through we will only get stronger.”

Pre-season is underway for the Lakers.

Oborne said after good numbers at trials they were still deciding whether they entered five or six sides for next season.

They are also looking to enter a men’s side in the new division.

“It’s a new chapter for Lakers netball,” he said. “We had about 15 players express their interest.

“We had an exhibition match between our division one and two teams, and the men’s and it was good for the juniors to see the different styles of men’s and women’s.

“It’s a lot more aerial and dynamic.”

Digital Editions


  • Disappointment for Frigo

    Disappointment for Frigo

    It was disappointment for Melton’s Airleigh Frigo at the Winter Olympics on Wednesday. Making her Olympic debut, Frigo wasn’t able to make it through the…

More News

  • My Place

    My Place

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 533986 Kate Newitt is the principal of the recently de-merged Hillside Primary School. She spoke to Sam Porter about her role and her connection…

  • What to look forward to in Moorabool

    What to look forward to in Moorabool

    Moorabool council is set to host an abundance of music and literature events across Bacchus marsh, Ballan and Blackwood this year, pairing with local artists and visiting talent. Council was…

  • Community calendar

    Community calendar

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 534644 Volunteer with L2P Help a disadvantaged young person gain essential driving hours by becoming an L2P Volunteer Driving Mentor. A few hours a…

  • Lions’ fall short

    Lions’ fall short

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 389722 Melton almost pulled off a win in a low scoring affair against Williamstown in the Victorian Sub-District Cricket Association east-west on the weekend.…

  • From the archives

    From the archives

    30 years ago 21 February 1996 A 200-metre section of High Street, Melton, would be closed and covered under a radical Melton Business Association proposal. 20 years go 21 February…

  • Ambulance response times up

    Ambulance response times up

    Ambulance response times across both Melton and Moorabool have improved slightly over the last quarter, according to the latest data released by Ambulance Victoria (AV). Paramedics in Melton responded to…

  • Coaches replace evening trains

    Coaches replace evening trains

    Evening train services on the Ballarat line will be replaced by coaches over three nights next month due to maintenance works. Coaches will replace evening trains for the entire journey…

  • A slippery problem

    A slippery problem

    Multiple snake sightings have been made at Burnside Heights Recreation Reserve, prompting safety concerns from Burnside Springs United Cricket Club and renewed calls for assistance from authorities. A snake was…

  • Total fire ban declared

    Total fire ban declared

    Residents across Melton and Moorabool are being urged to remain vigilant today, with a total fire ban declared for Victoria’s Central District amid hot, dry and winy conditions. Authorities have…

  • Peter Carey award returns

    Peter Carey award returns

    Submissions are now open for Moorabool’s tenth annual Peter Carey short story award. Moorabool Libraries and local writers Jem Tyler-Miller and Wayne Marshall will be celebrating the award for its…