MELTON & MOORABOOL
Home » Sport » Other Sports » Melton ups the ante

Melton ups the ante

Melton Rugby Union Club’s resurgence continues with the side’s promotion to A-grade in the Victorian Rugby Union competition.

The club is one of four from the B-grade competition to move into A-grade. The Warriors were minor premiers last season, before losing the grand final to Ballarat, 18-13.

Melton vice-president Liam Devlin said the move into A-grade was massive for the club in just their second year back in the competition.

The club folded in 2015 due to a lack of numbers.

“They looked at the clubs from last year and saw how they went,” he said. “The top four sides all moved up.

“The competition is parallel to the metro two division. There’s eight to nine sides in premier division – they each have three sides apiece and they play in the metro competitions.

“All the other clubs [including Melton] fall into the next division. One day, we’d like to have three sides and make the transition into premier grade.

“We’re in the highest grade we can be in at the moment.”

Devlin said there was a lot of changes to last season’s squad as more players were looking to get involved.

“We had a few players from premier division decide to join our club due to the location,” he said,

“We’ve built up standards and we’re now one of the strongest regional sides.

“There’s about a 50-50 split, with about 15-20 new faces at training so far.

“There’s been 35-40 players at training in the pre-season and that’s the biggest we’ve every had.”

Devlin said the club would stick with one side this season and consider adding another side in 2018 or 2019.

He said the club wants to ensure it can sustain the player numbers after not having a team in 2015.

Mike Borrell is back on board as coach, with four senior players stepping up to leadership roles to help Borrell out.

The club will play in two pre-season matches in the lead-up to the season. The first was on Saturday against Footscray, and then they will play last year’s division B-grade premiers Ballarat on March 18.

Devlin said the increase in numbers wasn’t just at senior level – the junior program is also thriving.

“The juniors are going really well,” he said. “We have 25 players in under-16s. The junior numbers are looking better than last year.

“We’re considered the fastest growing club in Victoria, and last season were the seventh biggest club in the Victoria last season.

“Last season, we had about 160 players.

“This year we’re looking at 200 players,” Devlin said. “We’re looking to keep getting bigger and become one of the biggest clubs in the state.”

Digital Editions


  • Swayzee goes back-to-back

    Swayzee goes back-to-back

    Leap To Fame’s older brother Swayzee upstaged him again in another epic Hunter Cup and denied him a $1 million bonus at Melton last night.…

More News

  • Georgies top flight return

    Georgies top flight return

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 534346 It was a day almost eight years in the making for Caroline Springs George Cross on Saturday. The Georgies made their return to…

  • Burnside on top

    Burnside on top

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 393637 Burnside Springs United couldn’t have asked for much more on day one of its Victorian Turf Cricket Association Russell Pollock Shield clash. with…

  • Additional health test for newborns

    Additional health test for newborns

    Victoria has become the first Australian jurisdiction to include sickle cell disease in its universal newborn health screening program. This expansion brings the total number of rare but serious conditions…

  • Aussie kids salt risk

    Aussie kids salt risk

    Research taken from Deakin University has suggested most Australian children are at risk of developing high blood pressure at a younger age due to eating too much salt. In a…

  • Celebrity alcohol ads slip into teens’ Insta feeds

    Celebrity alcohol ads slip into teens’ Insta feeds

    Celebrities are promoting their own alcohol products on Instagram without clear disclosure of advertising content and almost all posts are visible to underage users, according to new research from La…

  • New toolkit to help women report abuse in sport

    New toolkit to help women report abuse in sport

    Australian women face significant risk when disclosing gender-based violence in sport and often receive inadequate or harmful responses according to new research from La Trobe Univeristy. The research project, supported…

  • Finalists announced for AFL community venue award

    Finalists announced for AFL community venue award

    The 2025 finalists have been announced for the AFL’s Ken Gannon Football Facilities Award, recognising the projects that set the benchmark in best-practice design and development to support the continued…

  • Multicultural health committee expanded

    Multicultural health committee expanded

    Victoria’s Multicultural Health Advisory Committee has been expanded in an effort to make the state’s health system more inclusive and diverse. Health Minister Mary-Anne Thomas unveiled the strengthened and expanded…

  • Forum supports women living with epilepsy across all life stages

    Forum supports women living with epilepsy across all life stages

    Epilepsy Action Australia and Australian Women with Epilepsy are inviting women across the country to take part in a powerful one-day forum designed to uplift, inform and support women living…

  • Funding to improve road safety across Victoria

    Funding to improve road safety across Victoria

    Victorian community organisations and groups will get a total of $600,000 in grants from the Transport Accident Commission (TAC) to develop and implement local road safety projects. The funding, part…