MELTON & MOORABOOL
Home » Sport » Lockdown halts footy season

Lockdown halts footy season

The fate of the 2021 Ballarat Football League season remains up in the air while league officials grapple with the impact of the latest COVID-19 lockdown.

Round seven and eight matches scheduled for the past fortnight were abandoned and play has also been ruled out for the coming Queen’s Birthday long weekend.

The next scheduled matches are the round nine games currently pencilled in for June 19.

No points or percentage will be awarded to any team for the abandoned rounds and points previously allocated for a bye are being removed.

Missed matches are unlikely to be rescheduled.

Melton South coach Heath Pritchard said the situation has been extremely frustrating, particularly after the 2020 season was completely abandoned due to the pandemic.

“It’s very disappointing,” he said.

“Our competition is also in a very different situation to most, with eight of the eleven clubs in regional Victoria and three [Melton South, Melton and Sunbury] in metro Melbourne. It’s a unique situation, so it does bring up little curve balls.”

Pritchard said the easing of restrictions in regional Victoria last week paved the way for those eight clubs to resume training, whereas the three metro clubs are not allowed to train.

“All we can do is talk to the players and they have to do their own individual stuff and own individual programs, but at the end of the day there is nothing like training as a group – even for the social side of it,” he said.

“This lockdown seems to be causing as much anxiety as the one last year, but there’s not much we can do.”

Pritchard said the disparity poses questions about what is an appropriate response by the league going forward.

“The competition will work out what is fair and reasonable and we will have to abide by that,” he said.

“At the end of the day the main thing is that people get to some normality in life.”

The return of junior sport in regional Victoria over the weekend was heartening, Pritchard said, but juniors in metro areas remain sidelined.

“It’s just the nature of the beast – we are in unchartered waters and we have been for 16 months as well.”

Digital Editions


  • Merzbow to bring noise to Newport

    Merzbow to bring noise to Newport

    For almost five decades now, Tokyo-based artist Merzbow has held an undisputed position as the iconic forefather of noise music. It’s said his work, which…

More News

  • Australia gears up for its biggest cuppa yet!

    Australia gears up for its biggest cuppa yet!

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 497716 Cancer Council is calling on Aussies to rally their family, friends, and especially their workmates, for Australia’s Biggest Morning Tea, the nation’s iconic…

  • Australia Post ramps up the horse-power for Lunar New Year

    Australia Post ramps up the horse-power for Lunar New Year

    Australia Post is celebrating the Year of the Horse with the release of its Lunar New Year stamp issue, and its first ever ‘DigiStamp’. The traditional Lunar New Year stamp…

  • More cameras coming to Victoria’s roads

    More cameras coming to Victoria’s roads

    The state government will roll out 35 new fixed cameras, two point-to-point networks and tougher distracted-driving and seatbelt enforcement as part of its Road Safety Action Plan. The state government…

  • New treatment options for anaphylaxis

    New treatment options for anaphylaxis

    Two new emergency treatment options will become available in Victorian schools to support students at risk of anaphylaxis. Education Minister Ben Carroll announced the two new services will soon become…

  • Di Filippo headed west

    Di Filippo headed west

    The Western Warriors have suffered a blow with midcourter Simona Di Filippo headed across the country to continue her netball career. Di Filippo, an inaugural player at the Warriors, was…

  • The sport of kings in Werribee

    The sport of kings in Werribee

    What many call the sport of kings will be on full display at Werribee Park as the historic Urquhart Cup polo tournament gallops into town on Sunday 1 March. More…

  • Hillside man arrested

    Hillside man arrested

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 206998 Police arrested a 19-year old Hillside man and seized drugs and cash following a crash in Port Melbourne on Thursday 19 February. Officers…

  • Memories go under the hammer

    Memories go under the hammer

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 535487 An original 1962 Jeep Willys four-by-four wagon which sits at the heart of fond family memories is just one of many vintage cars…

  • Ballan Autumn Festival’s landmark event

    Ballan Autumn Festival’s landmark event

    Ballan’s favourite community festival is set to return for its 50th annual event on Sunday 15 March, celebrating local culture, creativity, and community. The Ballan Autumn Festival is one of…

  • Teeing up for a cause in Caroline Springs

    Teeing up for a cause in Caroline Springs

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 535462 Caroline Springs Rotary Club is preparing to tee off for its major community fundraiser, with its inaugural charity golf day set for next…