MELTON & MOORABOOL
Home » Sport » Soccer » Hume City puts on a five-­star show

Hume City puts on a five-­star show

Hume City’s return to form continued with a 5-­0 victory over Northcote City in the National Premier League on on Saturday,

After an early­-season form slump, Hume City has won the three of the last four games and scored eight goals in the last two.

Scores were level at half-­time on Saturday before 40 minutes of dominance from Hume.

Daniel Clark opened the scoring in the 50th minute and Kym Harris added the second 21 minutes later.

Theo Markelis joined the party to make it 3-­0 and when Harris and Clark both scored their second goals, the avalanche was complete.

Speaking before the game, Hume City coach Louie Acevski said the his players were finally settling into the season.

“The boys have done well over the last couple of weeks and have been good at what they’ve done,” he said.

“The basics have been the key and we’ve got the second best defensive record in the league.

“All the defenders have been consistent and it’s been a real team effort.”

Acevski expected a slow start to the season because of the late start to pre­season training after

Hume’s long run in the nation­wide FFV Cup last season.

Acevski now wants City to continue the momentum established in recent weeks.

“There’s a long way to go . . . the championship isn’t a sprint,” he said.

“We want to pick up as many points as possible before the closure of the transfer window. We’re after consistent performances like the last four games.”

Hume has added Craig Carley to its squad. Carley will take to the field once the transfer is complete.

Craig Carley, previously played with Goulburn Valley Suns and was a prolific scorer, topping the NPL 2 scoring last season.

“Craig is an out­and­out scorer,” Acevski said.

“Tom Cahill isn’t available, Kym Harris has been doing well and Daniel Clark has returned from injury, but we want to reinforce our attack.

“We’re also hoping to have Tom on the park sooner rather than later.”

Acevski said he still wanted to add players to the squad.

“We want another centre midfielder to help Joey Franjic,” he said.

“At left back we’ve only got Deniz [Yildiz]. He’s doing a great job but it’s a long season and we want someone to help him”

Meanwhile, Hume’s dreams of returning to the national stage of the FFA Cup remains on track after drawing the only state league side left in the Victorian competition.

They play Malvern City in the sixth round of the Victorian stage on May 18.

In NPL 2 west, Whittlesea Ranges lost 4-­1 to Dandenong City.

Digital Editions


  • Swayzee goes back-to-back

    Swayzee goes back-to-back

    Leap To Fame’s older brother Swayzee upstaged him again in another epic Hunter Cup and denied him a $1 million bonus at Melton last night.…

More News

  • Georgies top flight return

    Georgies top flight return

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 534346 It was a day almost eight years in the making for Caroline Springs George Cross on Saturday. The Georgies made their return to…

  • Burnside on top

    Burnside on top

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 393637 Burnside Springs United couldn’t have asked for much more on day one of its Victorian Turf Cricket Association Russell Pollock Shield clash. with…

  • Additional health test for newborns

    Additional health test for newborns

    Victoria has become the first Australian jurisdiction to include sickle cell disease in its universal newborn health screening program. This expansion brings the total number of rare but serious conditions…

  • Aussie kids salt risk

    Aussie kids salt risk

    Research taken from Deakin University has suggested most Australian children are at risk of developing high blood pressure at a younger age due to eating too much salt. In a…

  • Celebrity alcohol ads slip into teens’ Insta feeds

    Celebrity alcohol ads slip into teens’ Insta feeds

    Celebrities are promoting their own alcohol products on Instagram without clear disclosure of advertising content and almost all posts are visible to underage users, according to new research from La…

  • New toolkit to help women report abuse in sport

    New toolkit to help women report abuse in sport

    Australian women face significant risk when disclosing gender-based violence in sport and often receive inadequate or harmful responses according to new research from La Trobe Univeristy. The research project, supported…

  • Finalists announced for AFL community venue award

    Finalists announced for AFL community venue award

    The 2025 finalists have been announced for the AFL’s Ken Gannon Football Facilities Award, recognising the projects that set the benchmark in best-practice design and development to support the continued…

  • Multicultural health committee expanded

    Multicultural health committee expanded

    Victoria’s Multicultural Health Advisory Committee has been expanded in an effort to make the state’s health system more inclusive and diverse. Health Minister Mary-Anne Thomas unveiled the strengthened and expanded…

  • Forum supports women living with epilepsy across all life stages

    Forum supports women living with epilepsy across all life stages

    Epilepsy Action Australia and Australian Women with Epilepsy are inviting women across the country to take part in a powerful one-day forum designed to uplift, inform and support women living…

  • Funding to improve road safety across Victoria

    Funding to improve road safety across Victoria

    Victorian community organisations and groups will get a total of $600,000 in grants from the Transport Accident Commission (TAC) to develop and implement local road safety projects. The funding, part…