MELTON & MOORABOOL
Home » Sport » Georgies new challenge

Georgies new challenge

Caroline Springs George Cross believes it can achieve something special in its return to the National Premier League competition this season.

The Georgies have risen through the ranks in recent seasons, having dropped as low as the state league 1 competition.

Now back where they feel like they belong, coach Eric Vassiliadis said they were excited by the challenge.

“We want to create something special in the two cups and the league,,” he said. “What is special is open to interpretation.

“We want to tick boxes for the players and the community, we don’t want to make up the numbers.

“We haven’t done what we’ve done the last seven years just to go sideways. We want to make an impression.”

The Georgies will have a number of new faces when they kick off their season on 14 February against Bentleigh Greens.

Vassiliadis said they knew they had to make some changes with going up a division.

“It’s been a really big off season,” he said. “We’ve consciously identified which players we think can compete in the NPL.

“We also want to reward the boys who have got us in this position. The difference between the VPL [Victorian Premier League] and the NPL is large.

“We’ve been busy in the market and we’re pretty happy but we’ll be open for business until the window closes.”

Vassiliadis said there would be three or four players from last season’s squad that would be challenging for starting positions.

He said depth was a key area while changes to the homegrown rules with the under-20s and under-23s was something they had also looked at.

Vassiliadis said he had been impressed by the two younger sides who have shown some strong growth already.

He said there were a number of new players that fans could look forward to seeing on the pitch.

Lucas Byrns has crossed from St Albans, Maker Maker from Port Melbourne, Johnny Apostolopoulos from Heidelberg, Leo Mazis from Sutherland Sharks and Muamet Selimovski has made the move from Dandenong Thunder.

While promotions and new competitions aren’t new for the Georgies, Vassiliadis said they would stay apprehensive to ensure they stay sharp and focused when the season kicks off.

As well as being busy in the recruiting, the Georgies have also been busy on the track.

“We’ve already played five practice matches,” he said.

“Defensively we have been in line with expectations and we’ve scored a few goals.

“We have a number of matches the next few weeks. They will give us more an impression before round one against the Bentleigh Greens, which will be absolutely massive.”

The club’s women’s and junior programs are also looking strong for this year.

Vassiliadis said off field things were going well for the club as well.

The club has just signed Visit Malta as one of its major sponsors for this season.

Digital Editions


  • Disappointment for Frigo

    Disappointment for Frigo

    It was disappointment for Melton’s Airleigh Frigo at the Winter Olympics on Wednesday. Making her Olympic debut, Frigo wasn’t able to make it through the…

More News

  • My Place

    My Place

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 533986 Kate Newitt is the principal of the recently de-merged Hillside Primary School. She spoke to Sam Porter about her role and her connection…

  • What to look forward to in Moorabool

    What to look forward to in Moorabool

    Moorabool council is set to host an abundance of music and literature events across Bacchus marsh, Ballan and Blackwood this year, pairing with local artists and visiting talent. Council was…

  • Community calendar

    Community calendar

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 534644 Volunteer with L2P Help a disadvantaged young person gain essential driving hours by becoming an L2P Volunteer Driving Mentor. A few hours a…

  • Lions’ fall short

    Lions’ fall short

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 389722 Melton almost pulled off a win in a low scoring affair against Williamstown in the Victorian Sub-District Cricket Association east-west on the weekend.…

  • From the archives

    From the archives

    30 years ago 21 February 1996 A 200-metre section of High Street, Melton, would be closed and covered under a radical Melton Business Association proposal. 20 years go 21 February…

  • Ambulance response times up

    Ambulance response times up

    Ambulance response times across both Melton and Moorabool have improved slightly over the last quarter, according to the latest data released by Ambulance Victoria (AV). Paramedics in Melton responded to…

  • Coaches replace evening trains

    Coaches replace evening trains

    Evening train services on the Ballarat line will be replaced by coaches over three nights next month due to maintenance works. Coaches will replace evening trains for the entire journey…

  • A slippery problem

    A slippery problem

    Multiple snake sightings have been made at Burnside Heights Recreation Reserve, prompting safety concerns from Burnside Springs United Cricket Club and renewed calls for assistance from authorities. A snake was…

  • Total fire ban declared

    Total fire ban declared

    Residents across Melton and Moorabool are being urged to remain vigilant today, with a total fire ban declared for Victoria’s Central District amid hot, dry and winy conditions. Authorities have…

  • Peter Carey award returns

    Peter Carey award returns

    Submissions are now open for Moorabool’s tenth annual Peter Carey short story award. Moorabool Libraries and local writers Jem Tyler-Miller and Wayne Marshall will be celebrating the award for its…