MELTON & MOORABOOL
Home » Sport » Football » Diggers Rest deliver finals mauling

Diggers Rest deliver finals mauling

Spurred on by a final-round loss, Diggers Rest fired the first shot of the Riddell District Football League finals campaign.

The Burras, whose only loss of the season came last week, showed more of what their fans are used to seeing in a convincing win against Macedon in Saturday’s qualifying final.

While the scoreboard indicated a tight contest early on, the Burras were in control, just not applying scoreboard pressure.

After half-time, they stepped up a gear as the Cats struggled with injuries and lack of personnel. A 12 goals to four second half sealed a 19.16 (130)-8.9 (57) thumping and a preliminary final spot.

Burras’ coach Shaun Sims said the loss to Sunbury Kangaroos in the final round was exactly what his team had needed going into finals. “I think the players have been waiting for a while,” he said. “The past four or five weeks we’ve been a bit in conservation mode.

“I think last week was the kick they needed. Although we rested some players and played others in different positions, I think it gave us what we needed coming into the finals.”

Having expected for several weeks to face the Cats in the finals’ opening round, Sims said they were well prepared for the task at hand.

“I think the second half today was really strong,” the coach said.

“We sort of knew what we were going to do and I think for the most part we did it well.

“I felt like we were in control of the game for most of it. Even in the first quarter we were controlling parts of the play and areas of the ground, but we weren’t scoring goals.

“We missed opportunities in the first half, but to their credit they didn’t drop their heads. Our pressure stayed up and at times we moved the ball really well, which is what we’re after.

“I know we can’t do that every time, but if you can do it four or five times a quarter you become really hard to play against. We’ll take that in a final any day.”

Jason Williams was the star up forward for the Burras, kicking five goals in a forward line that looked more dangerous than it did for much of the season.

Sims said the Burras still had Luke Smailes and Matthew Krul, out injured, who could possibly return during the finals, along with Sean Egan.

The Burras now face Broadford in a semi- final at Rockbank on Saturday, with a grand final spot on the line.

Sims has sounded a warning to his players. “Broadford’s last 10 or 11 weeks has been as good if not better than anyone else.”

Digital Editions


  • Eagles big scalp

    Eagles big scalp

    Eynesbury Eagles pulled off one of the upsets of the Gisborne and District Cricket Association Johnstone Shield season on Saturday. With just one win of…

More News

  • Lions’ fall short

    Lions’ fall short

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 389722 Melton almost pulled off a win in a low scoring affair against Williamstown in the Victorian Sub-District Cricket Association east-west on the weekend.…

  • From the archives

    From the archives

    30 years ago 21 February 1996 A 200-metre section of High Street, Melton, would be closed and covered under a radical Melton Business Association proposal. 20 years go 21 February…

  • Ambulance response times up

    Ambulance response times up

    Ambulance response times across both Melton and Moorabool have improved slightly over the last quarter, according to the latest data released by Ambulance Victoria (AV). Paramedics in Melton responded to…

  • Coaches replace evening trains

    Coaches replace evening trains

    Evening train services on the Ballarat line will be replaced by coaches over three nights next month due to maintenance works. Coaches will replace evening trains for the entire journey…

  • A slippery problem

    A slippery problem

    Multiple snake sightings have been made at Burnside Heights Recreation Reserve, prompting safety concerns from Burnside Springs United Cricket Club and renewed calls for assistance from authorities. A snake was…

  • Total fire ban declared

    Total fire ban declared

    Residents across Melton and Moorabool are being urged to remain vigilant today, with a total fire ban declared for Victoria’s Central District amid hot, dry and winy conditions. Authorities have…

  • Peter Carey award returns

    Peter Carey award returns

    Submissions are now open for Moorabool’s tenth annual Peter Carey short story award. Moorabool Libraries and local writers Jem Tyler-Miller and Wayne Marshall will be celebrating the award for its…

  • Grass fire in Fiskville

    Grass fire in Fiskville

    Grassfire advice has been issued for the Ballan district. An advice message has been issued for Ballan, Fiskville, Mount Wallace and Yaloak as firefighters respond to a grassfire in Fiskville.…

  • Swayzee goes back-to-back

    Swayzee goes back-to-back

    Leap To Fame’s older brother Swayzee upstaged him again in another epic Hunter Cup and denied him a $1 million bonus at Melton last night. Just as he did last…

  • Get kinder ready

    Get kinder ready

    Melton council is gearing up for Kindergarten Readiness Month, with a series of free information sessions set to help families prepare for three- and-four-year old kindergarten. Parents and carers can…