MELTON & MOORABOOL
Home » Sport » Condon goes back-to-back

Condon goes back-to-back

Darley’s Lilli Condon has kept her title of the Ballarat Football League’s best female player, claiming a second straight league best and fairest award.

Condon, who has been a key in the Devils fourth straight grand final appearance, claimed the best and fairest award with 33 votes on Wednesday.

Bacchus Marsh’s Melanie Freeman finished second on 27 votes.

Condon was named best on ground for the Devils in each of their first six matches.

After 10 rounds, Condon and Freeman were level on 21 votes.

Neither polled in round 11 before Condon had four straight best on ground performances to have an unassailable lead heading into the final round.

“It’s really exciting,” Condon said. “I didn’t expect anything and there were a lot of people recognised, which was great.

“After the first few rounds me and Mel Freeman both had a good start to the season and there were still so many rounds to go.

“I didn’t know what would happen. I did feel proud [with six best on grounds in a row], that is pretty awesome.”

Condon, who missed last year’s award ceremony, only realised that she had won when one of her teammates picked up that she couldn’t be caught.

It then left Condon scrambling to figure out what to say on stage.

“I had pride in myself and also my teammates around me as I couldn’t do it without them,” she said.

Condon said both her best and fairest seasons had been enjoyable and successful for the Devils.

“I was more excited to go to training and games and everything was really positive,” she said.

“I’ve enjoyed this season a little more with a brand new group of girls. It’s been fantastic to be part of it.

“There’s some very special friendships that have made the success of the team.”

Condon said what the team had been able to do this season was amazing.

The side will play off in a fourth grand final this year.

Condon said each of the four seasons have been different, but this one has been the toughest in making the final game of the year.

“At the start of the season we had 12 to 15 new players and only a few players remained,” she said.

“We’ve made new friendships and teammates. There was a lot of team bonding to make that happen.

“It could have gone one of two ways. We didn’t know if we would make the grand final

“I’m super grateful for the last four amazing years for the club and women’s footy.”

The lead up to the grand final for Condon hasn’t been ideal after hurting her ankle in the side’s qualifying loss. She missed the preliminary final win.

It comes after Condon pulled out of the grand final last year with illness.

“With the help of the club physio, hopefully I’ll be out there,” she said.

Condon was named captain of team of the year.

Teammates Charli Parsons-Jones, Madalyn Clarke and Kim Bessell were also named in the side.

Parsons-Jones, who is just 15, finished fifth in the best and fairest award.

Condon said Parson-Jones is someone she has enjoyed working really close with.

“The talent she has is insane,” she said. “She’s very humble.

“I hope I can stay connected with her and that we can learn off each other.”

Freeman, Jacinta Reid, Amy Garofalo, Isabelle Faralla and Chloe Walker were the Cobras named in the team of the year.

Meanwhile, Bacchus Marsh’s Ella Bradbury claimed the under-19 most valuable player award and best and fairest award.

In the best and fairest award, she finished on 21 votes, 12 votes clear of East Point’s Keisha Darroch in second spot.

Digital Editions


  • Eagles big scalp

    Eagles big scalp

    Eynesbury Eagles pulled off one of the upsets of the Gisborne and District Cricket Association Johnstone Shield season on Saturday. With just one win of…

More News

  • Lions’ fall short

    Lions’ fall short

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 389722 Melton almost pulled off a win in a low scoring affair against Williamstown in the Victorian Sub-District Cricket Association east-west on the weekend.…

  • From the archives

    From the archives

    30 years ago 21 February 1996 A 200-metre section of High Street, Melton, would be closed and covered under a radical Melton Business Association proposal. 20 years go 21 February…

  • Ambulance response times up

    Ambulance response times up

    Ambulance response times across both Melton and Moorabool have improved slightly over the last quarter, according to the latest data released by Ambulance Victoria (AV). Paramedics in Melton responded to…

  • Coaches replace evening trains

    Coaches replace evening trains

    Evening train services on the Ballarat line will be replaced by coaches over three nights next month due to maintenance works. Coaches will replace evening trains for the entire journey…

  • A slippery problem

    A slippery problem

    Multiple snake sightings have been made at Burnside Heights Recreation Reserve, prompting safety concerns from Burnside Springs United Cricket Club and renewed calls for assistance from authorities. A snake was…

  • Total fire ban declared

    Total fire ban declared

    Residents across Melton and Moorabool are being urged to remain vigilant today, with a total fire ban declared for Victoria’s Central District amid hot, dry and winy conditions. Authorities have…

  • Peter Carey award returns

    Peter Carey award returns

    Submissions are now open for Moorabool’s tenth annual Peter Carey short story award. Moorabool Libraries and local writers Jem Tyler-Miller and Wayne Marshall will be celebrating the award for its…

  • Grass fire in Fiskville

    Grass fire in Fiskville

    Grassfire advice has been issued for the Ballan district. An advice message has been issued for Ballan, Fiskville, Mount Wallace and Yaloak as firefighters respond to a grassfire in Fiskville.…

  • Swayzee goes back-to-back

    Swayzee goes back-to-back

    Leap To Fame’s older brother Swayzee upstaged him again in another epic Hunter Cup and denied him a $1 million bonus at Melton last night. Just as he did last…

  • Get kinder ready

    Get kinder ready

    Melton council is gearing up for Kindergarten Readiness Month, with a series of free information sessions set to help families prepare for three- and-four-year old kindergarten. Parents and carers can…