MELTON & MOORABOOL
Home » Sport » Burras set an early standard

Burras set an early standard

Diggers Rest Bulla has won its first three games for the first time the 2013 Gisborne and District Cricket Association season.

The Burras have got off to a hot start in the Johnstone Shield competition, one of two undefeated teams after three rounds.

Captain-coach Evan Long can’t complain about the start to his time in charge at the club.

He said it was the first time they’d won the first two games since 2019 and had now extended it to its best start in more than 10 years.

“We’re really happy with that,” he said. “It’s a really good confidence building start for us.

“I could not ask for any more and hopefully we’ll build on that the rest of the year.”

Long said coming into a new club and competition, he didn’t set any expectations.

He said he didn’t know what he was up for and wanted to see the side in action and go from there.

The side didn’t play finals last year and were inconsistent.

“We want to be building for something each year,” he said. “Last year they won four games for the season, we’ve already won three games.

“We’ve been in games for longer. If things aren’t going our way, we peg it back and get it on our terms.”

Long said each of their wins so far had been character building and not as easy as it looks on paper.

Against Kilmore on Saturday, the Burras had them in trouble at 5-47.

Kilmore wouldn’t lose another wicket, finishing 8-150.

Charlie Hammond-Collins and Daniel Rodger took two wickets each for the Burras.

Long said they would have liked to have restricted Kilmore to less after the start they had, but the two batters showed some good form.

He thought that total was a 50-50 one in terms of being able to chase it down.

“We lost early wickets,” he said. “Jordan McDonald was exceptional in the way he batted and the partnership with me was the game breaker.”

Long said it got a bit closer than they would have liked but a couple of boundaries to Jacob Grant late made sure they would get the job done.

The Burras finished 4-181, getting the runs in the 43rd over.

McDonald finished with 64, while Long was 58 not out.

The Burras now face Lancefield in round four.

Long said they would love to make it four wins in a row to start the season.

“We’ll keep on rolling on”

In other matches, East Sunbury was skittled for just 69 against Eastern Hill, well short of Eastern Hill’s 141.

Eastern Hill is the only other undefeated side.

The Sunbury Kangaroos beat Harkness made it two in a row, while Lancefield opened its account against Eynesbury.

Digital Editions


  • Merzbow to bring noise to Newport

    Merzbow to bring noise to Newport

    For almost five decades now, Tokyo-based artist Merzbow has held an undisputed position as the iconic forefather of noise music. It’s said his work, which…

More News

  • Australia gears up for its biggest cuppa yet!

    Australia gears up for its biggest cuppa yet!

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 497716 Cancer Council is calling on Aussies to rally their family, friends, and especially their workmates, for Australia’s Biggest Morning Tea, the nation’s iconic…

  • Australia Post ramps up the horse-power for Lunar New Year

    Australia Post ramps up the horse-power for Lunar New Year

    Australia Post is celebrating the Year of the Horse with the release of its Lunar New Year stamp issue, and its first ever ‘DigiStamp’. The traditional Lunar New Year stamp…

  • More cameras coming to Victoria’s roads

    More cameras coming to Victoria’s roads

    The state government will roll out 35 new fixed cameras, two point-to-point networks and tougher distracted-driving and seatbelt enforcement as part of its Road Safety Action Plan. The state government…

  • New treatment options for anaphylaxis

    New treatment options for anaphylaxis

    Two new emergency treatment options will become available in Victorian schools to support students at risk of anaphylaxis. Education Minister Ben Carroll announced the two new services will soon become…

  • Di Filippo headed west

    Di Filippo headed west

    The Western Warriors have suffered a blow with midcourter Simona Di Filippo headed across the country to continue her netball career. Di Filippo, an inaugural player at the Warriors, was…

  • The sport of kings in Werribee

    The sport of kings in Werribee

    What many call the sport of kings will be on full display at Werribee Park as the historic Urquhart Cup polo tournament gallops into town on Sunday 1 March. More…

  • Hillside man arrested

    Hillside man arrested

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 206998 Police arrested a 19-year old Hillside man and seized drugs and cash following a crash in Port Melbourne on Thursday 19 February. Officers…

  • Memories go under the hammer

    Memories go under the hammer

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 535487 An original 1962 Jeep Willys four-by-four wagon which sits at the heart of fond family memories is just one of many vintage cars…

  • Ballan Autumn Festival’s landmark event

    Ballan Autumn Festival’s landmark event

    Ballan’s favourite community festival is set to return for its 50th annual event on Sunday 15 March, celebrating local culture, creativity, and community. The Ballan Autumn Festival is one of…

  • Teeing up for a cause in Caroline Springs

    Teeing up for a cause in Caroline Springs

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 535462 Caroline Springs Rotary Club is preparing to tee off for its major community fundraiser, with its inaugural charity golf day set for next…