MELTON & MOORABOOL
Home » Sport » Other Sports » Bacchus Marsh lad packs a punch

Bacchus Marsh lad packs a punch

He may only be in the early stages of his career, but Mitchell Clark has already shown just how hard he is willing to push himself to win.

The rising star was in the biggest bout of his young career last year fighting for the Victorian Super Middleweight title.

In the third round of the fight, the 22-year-old suffered a serious hand injury, leaving him barely able to fire a shot with that side of his body.

He refused to quit, though, seeing out the remaining rounds against opponent Jade Mitchell before losing on a points decision.

Far from being deterred by the experience, the Bacchus Marsh resident left the fight more determined than ever.

“I burst the blood vessel in my tendon on my middle knuckle,” Clark says. “I was talking to the hand specialist and he said I might as well have broken the hand. It would have been just as much pain.

“I fought my heart out though and ended up losing on points. Jade fought a fantastic fight and he deserved to win.

“I felt a lot more determined to get my hand right and have another crack at it. I wanted to push even harder and get that title belt around me.”

Clark didn’t have to wait long for his second chance. Once he returned to full fitness, he fought Darren Allison for the same title late last year.

His previous experience proved a fantastic lead-in, with Clark going on to defeat the champion via a knockout in the seventh round.

“I was speechless,” Clark said. “There were a few people I forgot to thank on the night because it was just so overwhelming. To think, from where I started to where I am now with the Victorian title … it has just been fantastic.”

Originally from Horsham, Clark’s career has exploded since he moved to Bacchus Marsh to turn professional.

He now has eight wins from his nine fights under the training of Danny Kay.

Clark also trains with IBO world title holder Zac Dunn.

“It has all been one big effort,” he said of his progress. “I still have a lot to do with my coach down in the country, Ray McIntosh. He has been great for me.

“Moving to Bacchus Marsh and turning professional was the next step I had to take in my career.

“Getting to train with Zac every day and being in the environment I am now, it has all come together and it has been fantastic.”

Clark’s next fight will be at the end of this month when he takes on Peter Orlik. Flying out from Hungary, the 22-year-old Orlik has 14 wins from his 16 fights.

“He has been in a lot of high-up fights in the world,” Clark said of his opponent. “He is only three weeks older than me, so it will be the first time I will get to fight someone close to my age.

“He has had a lot more fights than me and is very experienced. I am really looking forward to it though. It should be a great fight.”

The bout will take place at the Melbourne Pavilion on Friday, February 26.

Digital Editions


  • Swayzee goes back-to-back

    Swayzee goes back-to-back

    Leap To Fame’s older brother Swayzee upstaged him again in another epic Hunter Cup and denied him a $1 million bonus at Melton last night.…

More News

  • Georgies top flight return

    Georgies top flight return

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 534346 It was a day almost eight years in the making for Caroline Springs George Cross on Saturday. The Georgies made their return to…

  • Burnside on top

    Burnside on top

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 393637 Burnside Springs United couldn’t have asked for much more on day one of its Victorian Turf Cricket Association Russell Pollock Shield clash. with…

  • Additional health test for newborns

    Additional health test for newborns

    Victoria has become the first Australian jurisdiction to include sickle cell disease in its universal newborn health screening program. This expansion brings the total number of rare but serious conditions…

  • Aussie kids salt risk

    Aussie kids salt risk

    Research taken from Deakin University has suggested most Australian children are at risk of developing high blood pressure at a younger age due to eating too much salt. In a…

  • Celebrity alcohol ads slip into teens’ Insta feeds

    Celebrity alcohol ads slip into teens’ Insta feeds

    Celebrities are promoting their own alcohol products on Instagram without clear disclosure of advertising content and almost all posts are visible to underage users, according to new research from La…

  • New toolkit to help women report abuse in sport

    New toolkit to help women report abuse in sport

    Australian women face significant risk when disclosing gender-based violence in sport and often receive inadequate or harmful responses according to new research from La Trobe Univeristy. The research project, supported…

  • Finalists announced for AFL community venue award

    Finalists announced for AFL community venue award

    The 2025 finalists have been announced for the AFL’s Ken Gannon Football Facilities Award, recognising the projects that set the benchmark in best-practice design and development to support the continued…

  • Multicultural health committee expanded

    Multicultural health committee expanded

    Victoria’s Multicultural Health Advisory Committee has been expanded in an effort to make the state’s health system more inclusive and diverse. Health Minister Mary-Anne Thomas unveiled the strengthened and expanded…

  • Forum supports women living with epilepsy across all life stages

    Forum supports women living with epilepsy across all life stages

    Epilepsy Action Australia and Australian Women with Epilepsy are inviting women across the country to take part in a powerful one-day forum designed to uplift, inform and support women living…

  • Funding to improve road safety across Victoria

    Funding to improve road safety across Victoria

    Victorian community organisations and groups will get a total of $600,000 in grants from the Transport Accident Commission (TAC) to develop and implement local road safety projects. The funding, part…