Bloods clear on top

Jordan Kight (Ljubica Vrankovic) 338083_03

Tara Murray

Melton sits a game clear at the top of the Ballarat Football League ladder after a big win and results fell its way on Saturday.

The Bloods had little trouble against Ballarat on Saturday, controlling the game throughout the day.

The Bloods led by 19 points at quarter time and the game was all but over at half time with the Bloods leading by 64 points.

The second half was much of the same, with the Bloods kicking five goals in each quarter to seal a 22.15 (147)-3.8 (26) win.

Ryan Carter and Brenton Payne kicked four goals each for the Bloods, while Ryan Davis, Luke Heaney and Braedan Kight kicked three goals apiece.

The Bloods didn’t name any best players.

The result has the Bloods sitting 8-1 and on top of the ladder, a game clear of Sebastopol, North Ballarat and Darley. North Ballarat is the only team not to have the bye yet.

Meanwhile in other games, Darley slipped to a second straight loss, this time to Redan.

Playing at home for the first time this season, the Devils trailed all day in the 15.7 (97)-11.13 (79) shock loss.

The second and the fourth quarters were where the damage was done.

Will Johnson kicked four goals for the Devils, while Brett Bewley was named their best.

The Devils now slip to fourth on the top having been the only undefeated team not long ago.

Bacchus Marsh was outplayed in the second half in its loss against East Point.

The Kangaroos led by five points at half time before kicking 11 goals to five after the break to get the 14.14 (98)-8.7 (55) win.

Bryce Kerney kicked three goals for the Cobras, while Luke Goetz was named their best.

The Cobras sit ninth on the ladder with two wins.

Melton South had the bye.

In the netball, Ballarat was too strong for Melton winning 57-35. The Swans built the lead throughout the match.

Ashlee Vaughan shot 15 goals for the Bloods.

Melton sits in ninth spot with two wins for the year.

Darley remains undefeated after a big win against Redan.

The Devils trailed at quarter time before a big second quarter saw them open up a 12 goal lead at half time.

They went on with it in the second half, winning 54-32.

Rebecca Hicks shot 27 goals for the Devils.

There is a competition wide bye this weekend due to football interleague.