MELTON & MOORABOOL
Home » Sport » Football » Ballarat League triumphs in the dying minutes

Ballarat League triumphs in the dying minutes

Ballarat Football League finished on top against arch rival Bendigo Football League in a thrilling AFL Victoria WorkSafe Country Championships game.

Both sides put on a show and the final result wasn’t sealed until the final minutes.

Ballarat conceded the lead early in the last quarter, when Bendigo kicked three quick goals. but fought back with four of the last five goals sealing a 16.9 (105)-14.10 (94) victory and bragging rights.

Ballarat was in front for much of the game, but coach Shaun O’Loughlin said it was never comfortable.

“It was a great game and [a] really exciting game for those watching,” he said.

“We kept a three-goal buffer for much of the match, but couldn’t break it open.

“When they hit the front in the last quarter, we had to fight back to get back in front.

“We got a couple of late goals to get back in front. We stood up well in some big contests and finished really well.

“We happened to be the side in front at the end.”

Darley’s Brian Graham was awarded the best on ground medal for Ballarat. Bacchus Marsh’s Scott Sherlock was dangerous, as was Nathan Horbury and Christopher Giampaolo.

Nathan Pring kicked four goals for Ballarat, in what O’Loughlin said was an even team performance.

For Bendigo, Matt Thornton kicked four goals and Andrew Collins was named best on ground.

The win means Ballarat will move up from ninth to eighth in state rankings. Bendigo slips to 11th.

It’s O’Loughlin’s first win as interleague coach, he was in charge last season when the league lost a thriller to the Western Region Football League.

“It was a bit disappointing last year,” he said.

“We put in a really good effort, but couldn’t get the win.

“It’s good for the league to showcase itself on a bigger stage. The BFL is becoming stronger and it’s such an even competition.”

He said the decision to name a final squad early on, instead of a big initial squad, would be something they would consider continuing.

“We found last year we spent the first few training sessions looking at which players we were going to cut.

“We decided it would be better to have some really good quality training sessions right from the start. The players really appreciated knowing that they were in the team from the start. It might be a good recipe going forward.”

It was the only win of the day for Ballarat, Bendigo won the under-18 football, under-17 netball and senior netball.

 

Digital Editions


  • Eagles big scalp

    Eagles big scalp

    Eynesbury Eagles pulled off one of the upsets of the Gisborne and District Cricket Association Johnstone Shield season on Saturday. With just one win of…

More News

  • Lions’ fall short

    Lions’ fall short

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 389722 Melton almost pulled off a win in a low scoring affair against Williamstown in the Victorian Sub-District Cricket Association east-west on the weekend.…

  • From the archives

    From the archives

    30 years ago 21 February 1996 A 200-metre section of High Street, Melton, would be closed and covered under a radical Melton Business Association proposal. 20 years go 21 February…

  • Ambulance response times up

    Ambulance response times up

    Ambulance response times across both Melton and Moorabool have improved slightly over the last quarter, according to the latest data released by Ambulance Victoria (AV). Paramedics in Melton responded to…

  • Coaches replace evening trains

    Coaches replace evening trains

    Evening train services on the Ballarat line will be replaced by coaches over three nights next month due to maintenance works. Coaches will replace evening trains for the entire journey…

  • A slippery problem

    A slippery problem

    Multiple snake sightings have been made at Burnside Heights Recreation Reserve, prompting safety concerns from Burnside Springs United Cricket Club and renewed calls for assistance from authorities. A snake was…

  • Total fire ban declared

    Total fire ban declared

    Residents across Melton and Moorabool are being urged to remain vigilant today, with a total fire ban declared for Victoria’s Central District amid hot, dry and winy conditions. Authorities have…

  • Peter Carey award returns

    Peter Carey award returns

    Submissions are now open for Moorabool’s tenth annual Peter Carey short story award. Moorabool Libraries and local writers Jem Tyler-Miller and Wayne Marshall will be celebrating the award for its…

  • Grass fire in Fiskville

    Grass fire in Fiskville

    Grassfire advice has been issued for the Ballan district. An advice message has been issued for Ballan, Fiskville, Mount Wallace and Yaloak as firefighters respond to a grassfire in Fiskville.…

  • Swayzee goes back-to-back

    Swayzee goes back-to-back

    Leap To Fame’s older brother Swayzee upstaged him again in another epic Hunter Cup and denied him a $1 million bonus at Melton last night. Just as he did last…

  • Get kinder ready

    Get kinder ready

    Melton council is gearing up for Kindergarten Readiness Month, with a series of free information sessions set to help families prepare for three- and-four-year old kindergarten. Parents and carers can…