MELTON & MOORABOOL
Home » News » Uproar over plans to rezone park

Uproar over plans to rezone park

A proposal to re-zone a section of open parkland in Melton South to allow for community care accommodation is set to come to a head at next week’s council meeting.

Melton council earlier this year received a request from the Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS) to rezone roughly one-third of the parkland at 3–13 McDonald Street, Melton South, to allow for the accommodation, with a final decision to made following community consultation.

The park is currently used as open recreation space, with a playground on the site removed several years ago.

A concerned resident, who did not wish to be named, said the nearby residents were in uproar over the proposal.

“Nobody here wants this land to go,” they said. “The land was vested to the council over 40 years ago, and now they’re looking at selling it for a profit.

“My kids played in that park, my grand kids play in that park, I can see kids playing in it now, so to say it doesn’t get used is just wrong.”

Council chief executive Kelvin Tori said 13 community submissions had been received about the proposal, and would help inform council’s decision.

“The proposal is to change about one third of the park from reserve status,” Mr Tori said.

“This is the first stage in a statutory process required for a development proposed by the DHHS. Any changes to the planning zone or consideration of a development proposal are subject to a separate process under the Planning and Environment Act.

“The wide-ranging needs of Melton’s diverse community are very important to council and are a constant consideration in council’s decision-making.”

While several community members asked for the decision to be delayed until the August council meeting in Melton, the matter will be on the agenda for the July 22 meeting at Burnside Community Centre.

Digital Editions


  • From the archives

    From the archives

    30 years ago 21 February 1996 A 200-metre section of High Street, Melton, would be closed and covered under a radical Melton Business Association proposal.…

More News

  • Peter Carey award returns

    Peter Carey award returns

    Submissions are now open for Moorabool’s tenth annual Peter Carey short story award. Moorabool Libraries and local writers Jem Tyler-Miller and Wayne Marshall will be celebrating the award for its…

  • Grass fire in Fiskville

    Grass fire in Fiskville

    Grassfire advice has been issued for the Ballan district. An advice message has been issued for Ballan, Fiskville, Mount Wallace and Yaloak as firefighters respond to a grassfire in Fiskville.…

  • Swayzee goes back-to-back

    Swayzee goes back-to-back

    Leap To Fame’s older brother Swayzee upstaged him again in another epic Hunter Cup and denied him a $1 million bonus at Melton last night. Just as he did last…

  • Get kinder ready

    Get kinder ready

    Melton council is gearing up for Kindergarten Readiness Month, with a series of free information sessions set to help families prepare for three- and-four-year old kindergarten. Parents and carers can…

  • Extended pool hours

    Extended pool hours

    Residents across Moorabool can cool off over the next three days with the Bacchus Marsh and Ballan pools set to open for extended hours. With the Bureau of Meteorology predicting…

  • Faces of the west

    Faces of the west

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 532074 Each week Star Weekly photographers are out and about capturing events and people across the west.

  • Mandatory training, mounting costs

    Mandatory training, mounting costs

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 323327 Moorabool Council is calling on the state government and peak local government bodies to boost professional development opportunities for councillors amid concerns ratepayers…

  • Georgies top flight return

    Georgies top flight return

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 534346 It was a day almost eight years in the making for Caroline Springs George Cross on Saturday. The Georgies made their return to…

  • Burnside on top

    Burnside on top

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 393637 Burnside Springs United couldn’t have asked for much more on day one of its Victorian Turf Cricket Association Russell Pollock Shield clash. with…

  • Additional health test for newborns

    Additional health test for newborns

    Victoria has become the first Australian jurisdiction to include sickle cell disease in its universal newborn health screening program. This expansion brings the total number of rare but serious conditions…