MELTON & MOORABOOL
Home » News » Space centre to refund bus crash families

Space centre to refund bus crash families

The US space centre that was due to welcome a group of Victorian high school students has fully refunded the trip after a bus carrying 27 of the group crashed on its way to the airport.

Several students from Ballarat’s Loreto College were injured when their bus crashed down an embankment on the Western Highway at Bacchus Marsh in the early hours of Wednesday after it was hit from behind by a truck.

The pupils from years nine to 11 were travelling to Melbourne Airport for a flight to visit the US Space and Rocket Centre’s Space Camp.

The rocket centre’s chief executive, Kimberly Robinson, told AAP the facility was distressed and saddened to hear of the terrible accident.

“Our thoughts and prayers are with these students and teachers and their families during this difficult time,” she said.

The centre said all families had been provided full refunds and it would work with the school to rebook the trip when students were ready.

Loreto College principal Michelle Brodrick said the school would stay open on Thursday despite the national day of mourning for Queen Elizabeth II to allow students, families and carers to access counselling.

Police described the students’ escape from the crashed vehicle as “miraculous”.

“I think it was fairly harrowing for everyone involved – how anyone wasn’t more seriously injured is incredible,” Victoria Police acting Superintendent Jason Templar told reporters on Wednesday.

Speed limits at the time of crash had been reduced following a collision the previous night.

Three teenage girls at the Royal Children’s Hospital are in a stable condition.

A woman in her 40s and a man in his 50s remain in Royal Melbourne Hospital in a stable condition.

Kangaroo Transport Industries chief executive Steve Buck said the 60-year-old driver was a sub-contractor “who has been safely driving road trains for more than 30 years” and neede d surgery after being trapped in the cab.

The o ther 25 students on the bus and four adults were taken to hospital for observation after the incident, police said.

Grampians Health’s Ballarat Base Hospital treated 16 patients from the crash, with 13 of them discharged on Wednesday afternoon.

Premier Daniel Andrews offered support to the school after speaking to the principal on Wednesday.

The Melbourne-bound lanes of the Western Freeway between Ballan and Bacchus Marsh have since re-opened, but the eastbound Bacchus Marsh Road exit ramp remains closed.

Major collision unit detectives are investigating the exact circumstances of the crash.

AAP

Digital Editions


  • Eagles big scalp

    Eagles big scalp

    Eynesbury Eagles pulled off one of the upsets of the Gisborne and District Cricket Association Johnstone Shield season on Saturday. With just one win of…

More News

  • Lions’ fall short

    Lions’ fall short

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 389722 Melton almost pulled off a win in a low scoring affair against Williamstown in the Victorian Sub-District Cricket Association east-west on the weekend.…

  • From the archives

    From the archives

    30 years ago 21 February 1996 A 200-metre section of High Street, Melton, would be closed and covered under a radical Melton Business Association proposal. 20 years go 21 February…

  • Ambulance response times up

    Ambulance response times up

    Ambulance response times across both Melton and Moorabool have improved slightly over the last quarter, according to the latest data released by Ambulance Victoria (AV). Paramedics in Melton responded to…

  • Coaches replace evening trains

    Coaches replace evening trains

    Evening train services on the Ballarat line will be replaced by coaches over three nights next month due to maintenance works. Coaches will replace evening trains for the entire journey…

  • A slippery problem

    A slippery problem

    Multiple snake sightings have been made at Burnside Heights Recreation Reserve, prompting safety concerns from Burnside Springs United Cricket Club and renewed calls for assistance from authorities. A snake was…

  • Total fire ban declared

    Total fire ban declared

    Residents across Melton and Moorabool are being urged to remain vigilant today, with a total fire ban declared for Victoria’s Central District amid hot, dry and winy conditions. Authorities have…

  • Peter Carey award returns

    Peter Carey award returns

    Submissions are now open for Moorabool’s tenth annual Peter Carey short story award. Moorabool Libraries and local writers Jem Tyler-Miller and Wayne Marshall will be celebrating the award for its…

  • Grass fire in Fiskville

    Grass fire in Fiskville

    Grassfire advice has been issued for the Ballan district. An advice message has been issued for Ballan, Fiskville, Mount Wallace and Yaloak as firefighters respond to a grassfire in Fiskville.…

  • Swayzee goes back-to-back

    Swayzee goes back-to-back

    Leap To Fame’s older brother Swayzee upstaged him again in another epic Hunter Cup and denied him a $1 million bonus at Melton last night. Just as he did last…

  • Get kinder ready

    Get kinder ready

    Melton council is gearing up for Kindergarten Readiness Month, with a series of free information sessions set to help families prepare for three- and-four-year old kindergarten. Parents and carers can…