MELTON & MOORABOOL
Home » News » Seven arrested following Cobblebank deaths

Seven arrested following Cobblebank deaths

Police arrested seven people as part of its investigation into the deaths of two children in Cobblebank earlier this month.

From 6am On Friday, September 19, warrants were executed at properties in Melton South, Thornhill Park, Caroline Springs, Sunbury, Wollert, Hillside and Sydenham.

Those arrested include a 19-year-old Thornhill Park man, a 19-year-old Caroline Springs man, an 18-year-old Wollert man, three 16-year-old boys, and a 15-year-old boy, all from the north-west suburbs of Melbourne.

All seven will now be interviewed by police.

The arrests follow two incidents in Cobblebank on Saturday, September 6 that resulted in the deaths of 15-year-old Dau Akueng and 12-year-old Chol Achiek.

Emergency services were initially called shortly before 8pm that night following reports two children were fatally injured.

Chol was found on Marble Drive while Dau was found on Cobble Street.

Both of the boys were assisted by members of the public before they died at the scene.

Victoria Police crime command assistant commissioner Martin O’Brien said “the word senseless has been used so many times already in relation to the deaths of Dau Akueng and Chol Achiek, because the reality is that it doesn’t make sense”.

“Two children walking home after playing sport, who should have had decades of their lives ahead of them … instead, their devastated families are grieving their loss and all the things they will never get to see two children grow up to achieve and experience,” Mr O’Brien said.

He said the criminal investigation has been exhaustive and complex.

“Today’s arrests are the result of diligent, thorough policework – much of it performed behind-the-scenes and through building sound, reliable evidence,” he said.

“Any incident that is so significantly violent that it results in the loss of a life is a concern for police. The impacts of these deaths, in particular Dau and Chol’s, are felt right through our communities – from the families who have lost their loved one, through to the loss of safety that many people feel as a result, even when they don’t know those involved.”

Mr O’Brien said that locally, police will have increased patrols in the area and are “working closely with community groups”.

Digital Editions


  • Merzbow to bring noise to Newport

    Merzbow to bring noise to Newport

    For almost five decades now, Tokyo-based artist Merzbow has held an undisputed position as the iconic forefather of noise music. It’s said his work, which…

More News

  • Australia gears up for its biggest cuppa yet!

    Australia gears up for its biggest cuppa yet!

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 497716 Cancer Council is calling on Aussies to rally their family, friends, and especially their workmates, for Australia’s Biggest Morning Tea, the nation’s iconic…

  • Australia Post ramps up the horse-power for Lunar New Year

    Australia Post ramps up the horse-power for Lunar New Year

    Australia Post is celebrating the Year of the Horse with the release of its Lunar New Year stamp issue, and its first ever ‘DigiStamp’. The traditional Lunar New Year stamp…

  • More cameras coming to Victoria’s roads

    More cameras coming to Victoria’s roads

    The state government will roll out 35 new fixed cameras, two point-to-point networks and tougher distracted-driving and seatbelt enforcement as part of its Road Safety Action Plan. The state government…

  • New treatment options for anaphylaxis

    New treatment options for anaphylaxis

    Two new emergency treatment options will become available in Victorian schools to support students at risk of anaphylaxis. Education Minister Ben Carroll announced the two new services will soon become…

  • Di Filippo headed west

    Di Filippo headed west

    The Western Warriors have suffered a blow with midcourter Simona Di Filippo headed across the country to continue her netball career. Di Filippo, an inaugural player at the Warriors, was…

  • The sport of kings in Werribee

    The sport of kings in Werribee

    What many call the sport of kings will be on full display at Werribee Park as the historic Urquhart Cup polo tournament gallops into town on Sunday 1 March. More…

  • Hillside man arrested

    Hillside man arrested

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 206998 Police arrested a 19-year old Hillside man and seized drugs and cash following a crash in Port Melbourne on Thursday 19 February. Officers…

  • Memories go under the hammer

    Memories go under the hammer

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 535487 An original 1962 Jeep Willys four-by-four wagon which sits at the heart of fond family memories is just one of many vintage cars…

  • Ballan Autumn Festival’s landmark event

    Ballan Autumn Festival’s landmark event

    Ballan’s favourite community festival is set to return for its 50th annual event on Sunday 15 March, celebrating local culture, creativity, and community. The Ballan Autumn Festival is one of…

  • Teeing up for a cause in Caroline Springs

    Teeing up for a cause in Caroline Springs

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 535462 Caroline Springs Rotary Club is preparing to tee off for its major community fundraiser, with its inaugural charity golf day set for next…