MELTON & MOORABOOL
Home » News » Record ambulance investment breaks ‘triangle of death’

Record ambulance investment breaks ‘triangle of death’

A multi-million package for a new ambulance station, vehicles and extra staff is aimed at wiping out the region’s “triangle of death” status among paramedics.

Paramedics have previously described Melton, Bacchus Marsh and Sunbury as a “triangle of death” because there’s at least a 20 minute call-out wait on new jobs when staff are tied up with patients or en route to hospitals.

The state government last week announced Melton would get a new ambulance station and vehicle, and an extra 14 full-time equivalent paramedics.

Bacchus Marsh will also get another ambulance, plus 14 full-time equivalent staff.

The state government earlier this year announced $2.5 million to build a new state-of-the-art ambulance station at Bacchus Marsh. The current station, built almost 50 years ago, responds to about 250 call-outs per month.

The latest announcement is part of a $500 million investment over five years to employ 450 more paramedics, buy new vehicles and build new stations around the state.

The new Melton station will feature a drive-in, drive-out garage bay for ambulances, rest areas, training rooms, modern amenities and a kitchen. It will complement the McKenzie Street station that was built three years ago.

Ambulance Employees Union Victorian branch secretary Steve McGhie said the additional paramedics would ensure an extra day shift and a night shift at Melton and Bacchus Marsh.

He hopes this will ensure at least some resources remain in the area while paramedics transport patients to hospitals, sometimes as far as Royal Melbourne Hospital in the CBD.

“I think this will go a long way to assist paramedics,” Mr McGhie said.

“I don’t know if we can ever fix it 100 per cent … because you’ll need to put in that many additional resources, it would be ridiculous.

“This may mean that further support needs to be put in Caroline Springs, so it can tap into the Melbourne side of Melton.”

Ambulance Services Minister Jill Hennessy said while ambulance response times were improving, there is still more work to do.

“In a medical emergency, every second saves lives,” she said. “That’s why we’re ensuring people in Melton and Bacchus Marsh get the right emergency care quickly, when they need it.”

Melton MP Don Nardella said the new ambulance stations would make a “huge difference” to the towns’ hardworking paramedics.

The funding includes six ‘super response centres’ to be built across Melbourne, including in the west, outer north-west and north.

Digital Editions


  • Eagles big scalp

    Eagles big scalp

    Eynesbury Eagles pulled off one of the upsets of the Gisborne and District Cricket Association Johnstone Shield season on Saturday. With just one win of…

More News

  • Lions’ fall short

    Lions’ fall short

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 389722 Melton almost pulled off a win in a low scoring affair against Williamstown in the Victorian Sub-District Cricket Association east-west on the weekend.…

  • From the archives

    From the archives

    30 years ago 21 February 1996 A 200-metre section of High Street, Melton, would be closed and covered under a radical Melton Business Association proposal. 20 years go 21 February…

  • Ambulance response times up

    Ambulance response times up

    Ambulance response times across both Melton and Moorabool have improved slightly over the last quarter, according to the latest data released by Ambulance Victoria (AV). Paramedics in Melton responded to…

  • Coaches replace evening trains

    Coaches replace evening trains

    Evening train services on the Ballarat line will be replaced by coaches over three nights next month due to maintenance works. Coaches will replace evening trains for the entire journey…

  • A slippery problem

    A slippery problem

    Multiple snake sightings have been made at Burnside Heights Recreation Reserve, prompting safety concerns from Burnside Springs United Cricket Club and renewed calls for assistance from authorities. A snake was…

  • Total fire ban declared

    Total fire ban declared

    Residents across Melton and Moorabool are being urged to remain vigilant today, with a total fire ban declared for Victoria’s Central District amid hot, dry and winy conditions. Authorities have…

  • Peter Carey award returns

    Peter Carey award returns

    Submissions are now open for Moorabool’s tenth annual Peter Carey short story award. Moorabool Libraries and local writers Jem Tyler-Miller and Wayne Marshall will be celebrating the award for its…

  • Grass fire in Fiskville

    Grass fire in Fiskville

    Grassfire advice has been issued for the Ballan district. An advice message has been issued for Ballan, Fiskville, Mount Wallace and Yaloak as firefighters respond to a grassfire in Fiskville.…

  • Swayzee goes back-to-back

    Swayzee goes back-to-back

    Leap To Fame’s older brother Swayzee upstaged him again in another epic Hunter Cup and denied him a $1 million bonus at Melton last night. Just as he did last…

  • Get kinder ready

    Get kinder ready

    Melton council is gearing up for Kindergarten Readiness Month, with a series of free information sessions set to help families prepare for three- and-four-year old kindergarten. Parents and carers can…