MELTON & MOORABOOL
Home » News » Push to give youth a more affordable ride

Push to give youth a more affordable ride

Low-income school students from Melton could be cut some slack as the state government considers overhauling public transport fares.

Public transport minister Jacinta Allan announced a shake-up of fines in response to a report, launched on March 22, which urged the government to reform the fines it hands out to young people.

“Current concession fares significantly reduce the cost of travelling for students, but we recognise that, for the most disadvantaged, even a small fare can have a big impact,” Ms Allan said.

“We are currently reviewing the ticketing enforcement regime to ensure it is fair for all, particularly for those kids who have the least and need public transport the most.”

Melton’s students, aged between 10 and 19, represent nearly 14 per cent of the local population which also has the highest youth unemployment in the state.

The new report, Fare Go: Myki, transport poverty and access to education in Melbourne’s west, was a joint venture by Victoria University and the WEstjustice Sunshine Youth office.

It calls on the government to give children whose families are on Centrelink free public transport. It also calls for student cards to be proof of entitlement to a concession ticket and wants the fines system for people aged under 18 to be abolished.

Myki versus breakfast

The report indicates that in disadvantaged suburbs, particularly in the west, Myki fares compete with a kid’s ability to buy breakfast or school books.

“Given that the focus for young people in secondary school is their education, the government’s policy means that many young people do not have a source of income outside the home. Young people are very unlikely to have their own funds to pay the fines.”

There were 7000 warrants issued to young Victorians for not paying fines during 2014-15.

“If you go to a free public school and have to use public transport to get there, it will cost you $7500 over your 12 years of school just to get to and from school,” high-profile barrister Julian Burnside said last week.

“Many families can’t afford the initial payment for Myki.”

– with The Age

Digital Editions


  • Eagles big scalp

    Eagles big scalp

    Eynesbury Eagles pulled off one of the upsets of the Gisborne and District Cricket Association Johnstone Shield season on Saturday. With just one win of…

More News

  • Lions’ fall short

    Lions’ fall short

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 389722 Melton almost pulled off a win in a low scoring affair against Williamstown in the Victorian Sub-District Cricket Association east-west on the weekend.…

  • From the archives

    From the archives

    30 years ago 21 February 1996 A 200-metre section of High Street, Melton, would be closed and covered under a radical Melton Business Association proposal. 20 years go 21 February…

  • Ambulance response times up

    Ambulance response times up

    Ambulance response times across both Melton and Moorabool have improved slightly over the last quarter, according to the latest data released by Ambulance Victoria (AV). Paramedics in Melton responded to…

  • Coaches replace evening trains

    Coaches replace evening trains

    Evening train services on the Ballarat line will be replaced by coaches over three nights next month due to maintenance works. Coaches will replace evening trains for the entire journey…

  • A slippery problem

    A slippery problem

    Multiple snake sightings have been made at Burnside Heights Recreation Reserve, prompting safety concerns from Burnside Springs United Cricket Club and renewed calls for assistance from authorities. A snake was…

  • Total fire ban declared

    Total fire ban declared

    Residents across Melton and Moorabool are being urged to remain vigilant today, with a total fire ban declared for Victoria’s Central District amid hot, dry and winy conditions. Authorities have…

  • Peter Carey award returns

    Peter Carey award returns

    Submissions are now open for Moorabool’s tenth annual Peter Carey short story award. Moorabool Libraries and local writers Jem Tyler-Miller and Wayne Marshall will be celebrating the award for its…

  • Grass fire in Fiskville

    Grass fire in Fiskville

    Grassfire advice has been issued for the Ballan district. An advice message has been issued for Ballan, Fiskville, Mount Wallace and Yaloak as firefighters respond to a grassfire in Fiskville.…

  • Swayzee goes back-to-back

    Swayzee goes back-to-back

    Leap To Fame’s older brother Swayzee upstaged him again in another epic Hunter Cup and denied him a $1 million bonus at Melton last night. Just as he did last…

  • Get kinder ready

    Get kinder ready

    Melton council is gearing up for Kindergarten Readiness Month, with a series of free information sessions set to help families prepare for three- and-four-year old kindergarten. Parents and carers can…