MELTON & MOORABOOL
Home » News » Police call safety forum

Police call safety forum

Police have called a community safety forum in response to a spate of violent crimes in Melton in recent weeks.

Residents have been on higher alert as police put the call out for information regarding four home invasions this month, all within days of each other.

Shots being fired at a truck in High Street and the alleged assault of two teenagers outside a shopping centre have heightened resident’s safety fears.

“As the local inspector, I know all too well these types of crimes are terribly frightening for the victims,” Melton Inspector Kathryn Rudkins said.

“Our number one priority is and will always be the safety and security of the entire Melton community.

“We’ll continue to conduct regular, intelligence-led patrols to detect, deter and disrupt criminal or antisocial behaviour.

“But we need the community to help.”

On the Caroline Springs Residents Facebook page, many locals have been calling for the state and local government to do something about the crime wave.

Residents said they felt “helpless”.

“Residents haven’t slept soundly for over a year,” one post said.

“We live with fear of any noise, or helicopter outside … we want action, a preventative strategy. How many victims are needed before something is done?”

At the community safety forum Melton Police will discuss ways for residents to reduce the risks of becoming burglary victims.

Inspector Rudkins said detectives had made arrests in some of the recent cases and more were expected.

She is urging residents to report anything suspicious to police, to ensure that vehicles are parked in garages where possible and that external property doors are locked.

Crime in Melton South increased 11 per cent overall between 2015 and 2016, according to the latest data from the Crime Statistics Agency.

Home invasions in the area have steadily increased since 2013, jumping by 20 per cent between 2015 and 2016.

The safety forum will be held at the Taylors Hill Youth and Community Centre on May 31 from 6.30pm.

 

Quick look:

May 16, Hillside: Two Melton men have been charged over a home invasion about 11am.

May 17, Melton South: A group of about eight men armed with metal poles broke into a Gillespie Drive house just after 7pm.

May 21, Rockbank: A 16-year-old boy has been charged after an alleged aggravated robbery and assault at a Rockbank house.

May 21, Coburns shopping centre: Two Melbourne teenagers reported they had been ambushed by a group of older teens near the corner of High Street and Coburns Road.

May 22, Brookfield: Police say a family of four were asleep in their home when five men entered the house about 1.20am.

May 25, Melton West: Police investigate gunshots being fired at a truck in High Street.

Digital Editions


  • Ballan Autumn Festival’s landmark event

    Ballan Autumn Festival’s landmark event

    Ballan’s favourite community festival is set to return for its 50th annual event on Sunday 15 March, celebrating local culture, creativity, and community. The Ballan…

More News

  • Paw-sitive impact

    Paw-sitive impact

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 534816 Meet Bunji, the wellbeing superstar who’s turning heads at Melton Specialist School and showing the important role therapy dogs can play in school…

  • More extended pool hours

    More extended pool hours

    Residents looking to cool off this week can head to the Bacchus Marsh and Ballan outdoor pools, which are set to open on Thursday 19 February, through to Saturday 21…

  • Mission completed by Keayang Zahara

    Mission completed by Keayang Zahara

    There was as much relief as excitement when Keayang Zahara romped home and banked a $500,000 bonus in the Group 1 Great Southern Star. Co-trainer Paddy Lee conceded it had…

  • Disappointment for Frigo

    Disappointment for Frigo

    It was disappointment for Melton’s Airleigh Frigo at the Winter Olympics on Wednesday. Making her Olympic debut, Frigo wasn’t able to make it through the qualifying rounds of the women’s…

  • Grass fire in Bullengarook

    Grass fire in Bullengarook

    An out-of-control grassfire is burning at the intersection of Gisborne and Bacchus Marsh roads in Bullengarook, prompting an advice message for residents in Bullengarook, Coimadai, Gisborne and Lerderderg. The alert…

  • Five arrested following Deanside pursuit and crash

    Five arrested following Deanside pursuit and crash

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 206998 Police have arrested five teenagers after an incident where a male was allegedly assaulted and dragged into a vehicle before being involved in…

  • Eagles big scalp

    Eagles big scalp

    Eynesbury Eagles pulled off one of the upsets of the Gisborne and District Cricket Association Johnstone Shield season on Saturday. With just one win of the season, the Eagles put…

  • Driving for greatness

    Driving for greatness

    Djerriwarrh Community and Education Services is welcoming new volunteers to join itdsL2P program, helping learner drivers reach their supervised driving goals and get going on the road with confidence. Since…

  • My Place

    My Place

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 533986 Kate Newitt is the principal of the recently de-merged Hillside Primary School. She spoke to Sam Porter about her role and her connection…

  • What to look forward to in Moorabool

    What to look forward to in Moorabool

    Moorabool council is set to host an abundance of music and literature events across Bacchus marsh, Ballan and Blackwood this year, pairing with local artists and visiting talent. Council was…