MELTON & MOORABOOL
Home » News » Nowhere to hide for family violence offenders

Nowhere to hide for family violence offenders

The state’s most dangerous family violence perpetrators have been warned there’s nowhere to hide as a Victoria Police crackdown leads to a record number of offenders being arrested and brought before the courts each day.

Victoria Police said frontline police and specialised teams – including Family Violence Investigation Units and the Family Violence Command Taskforce – are proactively targeting and apprehending offenders for family violence crimes to ensure the safety of victim-survivors.

Crime Statistics Agency figures show 29,233 family violence offenders were either arrested or summonsed to court last year. It equates to an average of 80 arrests or summons to court each day.

The figures are up slightly on the prior year when an average 79 arrests or summons were made each day.

That’s one person arrested or brought before the courts for family violence offending every 18 minutes.

The vast majority of offenders were arrested for serious family violence crimes, as well as actively avoiding police detection, outstanding warrants or unserved family violence intervention orders (IVO), stalking and making threats.

Family Violence Command Assistant Commissioner Lauren Callaway said these figures highlight Victoria Police’s continual efforts in tracking down family violence offenders, some of the worst in the state.

“Family violence is completely unacceptable and there is never an excuse or justification for the crime,” she said.

“We have thousands of police officers across Victoria working tirelessly to apprehend family violence perpetrators and bring them before the courts to ensure the safety of victim-survivors.

“We need family violence perpetrators to stop and really think of the damage they are doing to their partners and children.

“Some go to great lengths to avoid apprehension – including blackmailing victim-survivors or using friends to keep them in hiding – but they’re always in the sights of police.

“Our message to family violence perpetrators is clear: closed doors will not protect you from being tracked down and held to account.”

If you are concerned about your own or someone else’s behaviour support services are available. No to Violence runs a Men’s Referral Service which helps men who use violence to change their behaviour and can be contacted on 1300 766 491.

If you or someone close to you discloses they are a victim of family violence, please believe them and encourage them to contact police or a support service.

Support is available 24 hours a day through Safe Steps by calling 1800 015 188 or emailing safesteps@safesteps.org.au

In an emergency call Triple-0 (000). If you can’t get to a phone, ask someone else to do it for you.

Digital Editions


  • Eagles big scalp

    Eagles big scalp

    Eynesbury Eagles pulled off one of the upsets of the Gisborne and District Cricket Association Johnstone Shield season on Saturday. With just one win of…

More News

  • Lions’ fall short

    Lions’ fall short

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 389722 Melton almost pulled off a win in a low scoring affair against Williamstown in the Victorian Sub-District Cricket Association east-west on the weekend.…

  • From the archives

    From the archives

    30 years ago 21 February 1996 A 200-metre section of High Street, Melton, would be closed and covered under a radical Melton Business Association proposal. 20 years go 21 February…

  • Ambulance response times up

    Ambulance response times up

    Ambulance response times across both Melton and Moorabool have improved slightly over the last quarter, according to the latest data released by Ambulance Victoria (AV). Paramedics in Melton responded to…

  • Coaches replace evening trains

    Coaches replace evening trains

    Evening train services on the Ballarat line will be replaced by coaches over three nights next month due to maintenance works. Coaches will replace evening trains for the entire journey…

  • A slippery problem

    A slippery problem

    Multiple snake sightings have been made at Burnside Heights Recreation Reserve, prompting safety concerns from Burnside Springs United Cricket Club and renewed calls for assistance from authorities. A snake was…

  • Total fire ban declared

    Total fire ban declared

    Residents across Melton and Moorabool are being urged to remain vigilant today, with a total fire ban declared for Victoria’s Central District amid hot, dry and winy conditions. Authorities have…

  • Peter Carey award returns

    Peter Carey award returns

    Submissions are now open for Moorabool’s tenth annual Peter Carey short story award. Moorabool Libraries and local writers Jem Tyler-Miller and Wayne Marshall will be celebrating the award for its…

  • Grass fire in Fiskville

    Grass fire in Fiskville

    Grassfire advice has been issued for the Ballan district. An advice message has been issued for Ballan, Fiskville, Mount Wallace and Yaloak as firefighters respond to a grassfire in Fiskville.…

  • Swayzee goes back-to-back

    Swayzee goes back-to-back

    Leap To Fame’s older brother Swayzee upstaged him again in another epic Hunter Cup and denied him a $1 million bonus at Melton last night. Just as he did last…

  • Get kinder ready

    Get kinder ready

    Melton council is gearing up for Kindergarten Readiness Month, with a series of free information sessions set to help families prepare for three- and-four-year old kindergarten. Parents and carers can…