MELTON & MOORABOOL
Home » News » No decision on Diggers Rest off-leash park

No decision on Diggers Rest off-leash park

Melton councillors have stalled on approving funds for an off-leash dog park at Diggers Rest, opting for it to be reviewed as part of the Diggers Rest Recreation Reserve masterplan.

More than 35 residents petitioned the council asking for councillors to approve $87,500 in funding for a 4000-square metre dog park at the Diggers Rest Recreation Reserve in this year’s budget. Funding the park in this year’s budget was one of three options put forward by council officers.

But at last week’s council meeting, councillors voted to refer the request to be reviewed as part of the recreation reserve masterplan, with Cr Sophie Ramsey suggesting the halving of the park and a reduction in cost to $50,000.

This was despite a council officer recommendation that 4000-square-metres should be regarded as a minimum area for off-leash dog parks.

The officer’s report was presented at last week’s council meeting in response to a request by Cr Michelle Mendes in December to investigate options for an off-leash dog park at Diggers Rest.

She told last week’s meeting she agreed to slashing the size of the park in half, but wanted her community to be consulted on the location.

Speaking with Star Weekly, Cr Mendes said it was important to look at the size and population of Diggers Rest before approving a 4000-square-metre off-leash dog park.

“We don’t want to provide something that’s too big,” she said. “But I do realise it’s a growing community.”

Diggers Rest resident Karen Brewer, who lobbied for a dog park, said she believed a 2000-square-metre park would be adequate for the area, but she wanted councillors to approve funding the park in this year’s budget.

“We need somewhere to take our dogs where they can interact with each other and we can have a chat with other residents,” Ms Brewer said. “Dog parks are a great way for people to meet and socialise.”

Consultation for the next phase of the Diggers Rest Recreation Reserve masterplan is expected to start within four weeks.

When asked why she didn’t support the petition, Cr Mendes told Star Weekly she had received the petition on the night of the council meeting and hadn’t had time to read it.

“You can’t hand a petition on a Monday night and expect things to go a particular way.”

Digital Editions


  • From the archives

    From the archives

    30 years ago 21 February 1996 A 200-metre section of High Street, Melton, would be closed and covered under a radical Melton Business Association proposal.…

More News

  • Peter Carey award returns

    Peter Carey award returns

    Submissions are now open for Moorabool’s tenth annual Peter Carey short story award. Moorabool Libraries and local writers Jem Tyler-Miller and Wayne Marshall will be celebrating the award for its…

  • Grass fire in Fiskville

    Grass fire in Fiskville

    Grassfire advice has been issued for the Ballan district. An advice message has been issued for Ballan, Fiskville, Mount Wallace and Yaloak as firefighters respond to a grassfire in Fiskville.…

  • Swayzee goes back-to-back

    Swayzee goes back-to-back

    Leap To Fame’s older brother Swayzee upstaged him again in another epic Hunter Cup and denied him a $1 million bonus at Melton last night. Just as he did last…

  • Get kinder ready

    Get kinder ready

    Melton council is gearing up for Kindergarten Readiness Month, with a series of free information sessions set to help families prepare for three- and-four-year old kindergarten. Parents and carers can…

  • Extended pool hours

    Extended pool hours

    Residents across Moorabool can cool off over the next three days with the Bacchus Marsh and Ballan pools set to open for extended hours. With the Bureau of Meteorology predicting…

  • Faces of the west

    Faces of the west

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 532074 Each week Star Weekly photographers are out and about capturing events and people across the west.

  • Mandatory training, mounting costs

    Mandatory training, mounting costs

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 323327 Moorabool Council is calling on the state government and peak local government bodies to boost professional development opportunities for councillors amid concerns ratepayers…

  • Georgies top flight return

    Georgies top flight return

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 534346 It was a day almost eight years in the making for Caroline Springs George Cross on Saturday. The Georgies made their return to…

  • Burnside on top

    Burnside on top

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 393637 Burnside Springs United couldn’t have asked for much more on day one of its Victorian Turf Cricket Association Russell Pollock Shield clash. with…

  • Additional health test for newborns

    Additional health test for newborns

    Victoria has become the first Australian jurisdiction to include sickle cell disease in its universal newborn health screening program. This expansion brings the total number of rare but serious conditions…