MELTON & MOORABOOL
Home » News » Melton MP Don Nardella calls it quits

Melton MP Don Nardella calls it quits

EXCLUSIVE

Embattled Melton MP Don Nardella will retire from politics at the next state election.

Speaking with Star Weekly on Tuesday, Mr Nardella said the recent backlash over claims he made for a second residence allowance had taken a significant toll on his emotional wellbeing and influenced his decision to call it quits.

“I think it’s probably time that Melton had somebody new,” he said. “But the difficult time that I’ve had has influenced that decision.

“Every term you think about these things, but these circumstances [brought] this up as a catalyst.”

The long-time parliamentarian has come under fire this week for claiming $113,000 in second residence allowance for about three years while living in Ocean Grove. The allowance was designed for regional MPs who required a second residence while attending Parliament.

Mr Nardella quit his deputy speaker role at the weekend, hours after Tarneit MP and speaker Telmo Languiller apologised for also claiming $40,000 in second residence allowance. Mr Languiller promised to pay back the money and announced he’ll be moving to the backbench.

Mr Nardella says he won’t be apologising or paying back the money because either implies he had done something illegal, rorted the system or lied to the public about his claims.

Mr Nardella has represented the seat of Melton since 1999. He says he’s very proud of his achievements for the “good people of Melton”.

When asked what his proudest achievements of his political career had so far been, Mr Nardella said: “Virtually every street, every major street, every community centre, community health centre, youth centre, the roundabout at the front of my office, the Western BACE.

“There’s been a number of [changes to my] electoral boundaries, [but] I’ve been trying to do my best to look after the good people of Melton.”

MORE TO COME.

 

Digital Editions


  • My Place

    My Place

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 533986 Kate Newitt is the principal of the recently de-merged Hillside Primary School. She spoke to Sam Porter about…

More News

  • Ambulance response times up

    Ambulance response times up

    Ambulance response times across both Melton and Moorabool have improved slightly over the last quarter, according to the latest data released by Ambulance Victoria (AV). Paramedics in Melton responded to…

  • Coaches replace evening trains

    Coaches replace evening trains

    Evening train services on the Ballarat line will be replaced by coaches over three nights next month due to maintenance works. Coaches will replace evening trains for the entire journey…

  • A slippery problem

    A slippery problem

    Multiple snake sightings have been made at Burnside Heights Recreation Reserve, prompting safety concerns from Burnside Springs United Cricket Club and renewed calls for assistance from authorities. A snake was…

  • Total fire ban declared

    Total fire ban declared

    Residents across Melton and Moorabool are being urged to remain vigilant today, with a total fire ban declared for Victoria’s Central District amid hot, dry and winy conditions. Authorities have…

  • Peter Carey award returns

    Peter Carey award returns

    Submissions are now open for Moorabool’s tenth annual Peter Carey short story award. Moorabool Libraries and local writers Jem Tyler-Miller and Wayne Marshall will be celebrating the award for its…

  • Grass fire in Fiskville

    Grass fire in Fiskville

    Grassfire advice has been issued for the Ballan district. An advice message has been issued for Ballan, Fiskville, Mount Wallace and Yaloak as firefighters respond to a grassfire in Fiskville.…

  • Swayzee goes back-to-back

    Swayzee goes back-to-back

    Leap To Fame’s older brother Swayzee upstaged him again in another epic Hunter Cup and denied him a $1 million bonus at Melton last night. Just as he did last…

  • Get kinder ready

    Get kinder ready

    Melton council is gearing up for Kindergarten Readiness Month, with a series of free information sessions set to help families prepare for three- and-four-year old kindergarten. Parents and carers can…

  • Extended pool hours

    Extended pool hours

    Residents across Moorabool can cool off over the next three days with the Bacchus Marsh and Ballan pools set to open for extended hours. With the Bureau of Meteorology predicting…

  • Faces of the west

    Faces of the west

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 532074 Each week Star Weekly photographers are out and about capturing events and people across the west.