MELTON & MOORABOOL
Home » News » Manslaughter query if camper killer faces fresh trial

Manslaughter query if camper killer faces fresh trial

Appeal judges have asked prosecutors whether they will pursue ex-pilot Greg Lynn for manslaughter over the death of a camper after being cleared of his murder.

Lawyers for Lynn, 59, on Thursday 6 November argued his 32-year maximum jail sentence for the murder of Carol Clay was manifestly excessive in Victoria’s Court of Appeal.

In a split verdict in June 2024, a jury found Lynn guilty of 73-year-old Mrs Clay’s murder at a remote campsite but not guilty of the murder of her secret lover Russell Hill, 74.

Lynn, who maintains his innocence, admitted he moved and burned the two bodies but claimed their deaths in 2020 were both accidental.

His barrister, Dermot Dann KC, previously said the jury’s guilty verdict was unsafe and made on “unsatisfactory grounds” as he claimed the prosecution had conducted an unfair trial.

The appeal was opposed by Director of Public Prosecutions Brendan Kissane, who said the trial was not unfair and defence should have applied to discharge the jury if they believed it was.

Mr Kissane did not appear at the court on Thursday for Lynn’s challenge of his prison term because he had another commitment, prosecutor Kathryn Hamill said.

Appeal court justices Phillip Priest and Peter Kidd asked Ms Hamill to speak to the director about several questions in the event Lynn faces a retrial, but stressed the court had not yet come to any conclusions on Lynn’s appeal prospects.

The questions included whether the prosecution would offer manslaughter as an alternative offence over the death of both Mr Hill and Ms Clay in the event of a retrial.

Justice Kidd asked Ms Hamill whether the prosecution would rely on a motive for Ms Clay’s killing, if there were a retrial, which Ms Hamill also took on notice.

On Lynn’s sentence appeal, Mr Dann argued his client’s 32-year term, with a non-parole period of 24 years, for Ms Clay’s murder was “manifestly excessive”.

He claimed Lynn’s sentence was “in the highest echelon of sentences in the standard sentence era, for a single murder committed without pre-meditation”.

The appeal judges reserved their decision on Lynn’s appeals and will return at a later date.

Digital Editions


  • Swayzee goes back-to-back

    Swayzee goes back-to-back

    Leap To Fame’s older brother Swayzee upstaged him again in another epic Hunter Cup and denied him a $1 million bonus at Melton last night.…

More News

  • Georgies top flight return

    Georgies top flight return

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 534346 It was a day almost eight years in the making for Caroline Springs George Cross on Saturday. The Georgies made their return to…

  • Burnside on top

    Burnside on top

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 393637 Burnside Springs United couldn’t have asked for much more on day one of its Victorian Turf Cricket Association Russell Pollock Shield clash. with…

  • Additional health test for newborns

    Additional health test for newborns

    Victoria has become the first Australian jurisdiction to include sickle cell disease in its universal newborn health screening program. This expansion brings the total number of rare but serious conditions…

  • Aussie kids salt risk

    Aussie kids salt risk

    Research taken from Deakin University has suggested most Australian children are at risk of developing high blood pressure at a younger age due to eating too much salt. In a…

  • Celebrity alcohol ads slip into teens’ Insta feeds

    Celebrity alcohol ads slip into teens’ Insta feeds

    Celebrities are promoting their own alcohol products on Instagram without clear disclosure of advertising content and almost all posts are visible to underage users, according to new research from La…

  • New toolkit to help women report abuse in sport

    New toolkit to help women report abuse in sport

    Australian women face significant risk when disclosing gender-based violence in sport and often receive inadequate or harmful responses according to new research from La Trobe Univeristy. The research project, supported…

  • Finalists announced for AFL community venue award

    Finalists announced for AFL community venue award

    The 2025 finalists have been announced for the AFL’s Ken Gannon Football Facilities Award, recognising the projects that set the benchmark in best-practice design and development to support the continued…

  • Multicultural health committee expanded

    Multicultural health committee expanded

    Victoria’s Multicultural Health Advisory Committee has been expanded in an effort to make the state’s health system more inclusive and diverse. Health Minister Mary-Anne Thomas unveiled the strengthened and expanded…

  • Forum supports women living with epilepsy across all life stages

    Forum supports women living with epilepsy across all life stages

    Epilepsy Action Australia and Australian Women with Epilepsy are inviting women across the country to take part in a powerful one-day forum designed to uplift, inform and support women living…

  • Funding to improve road safety across Victoria

    Funding to improve road safety across Victoria

    Victorian community organisations and groups will get a total of $600,000 in grants from the Transport Accident Commission (TAC) to develop and implement local road safety projects. The funding, part…