MELTON & MOORABOOL
Home » News » Local business claims unfair treatment by Melton council

Local business claims unfair treatment by Melton council

A small-business owner claims his business is being “destroyed” by a $13 million project that’s closed off a busy Melton thoroughfare.

Michael Kirby, of XO Accounting, told Star Weekly his business had been “completely shut off from the world” as Melton council carried out works for stage two of the Pride of Melton project, which includes upgrades to the streetscape in Palmerston Street, renovation of the amphitheatre and footpath installation.

Works started last month and are expected to be finished by the end of the year.

Mr Kirby said this was the busiest time for his business, but he had made two staff redundant and he expected to lose at least $70,000 in income as a result of the works.

“I understand council wants to beautify the area and I applaud them, but … I can’t see why they needed to do this during this period of [tax] time,” Mr Kirby said.

“It’s stung a little bit because I’m trying to employ local people. We’re a fixture of the community and I think we’ve been treated unfairly. You try to do the right thing, support the council and bring business to Melton, and this is the way we’ve been treated.”

Mr Kirby said this year’s blow to business followed a similar experience last year when Palmerston Street was partially blocked off for construction of nearby taxi ranks.

He said clients were having trouble finding the entrance to his business, and would-be clients weren’t aware of XO Accounting’s presence.

“We’d like to say we’re still open for business and any support we can get from the community would be much appreciated,” he said.

Melton council’s acting operations manager, Les Stokes, said the council had held one-on-one or small group information sessions and public drop-in sessions before the works started.

“The timing of the delivery of works was primarily dictated by the funding requirements of the Australian and Victorian governments, who are providing funding that accounts for two-thirds of the Melton Town Centre redevelopment project costs,” Mr Stokes said.

“Another factor in scheduling the works is that it’s anticipated the current stage of redevelopment will be completed in time for the Christmas and New Year festive season, and will allow residents to enjoy the new outdoor space in finer weather.”

 

 

Digital Editions


More News

  • Hillside man arrested

    Hillside man arrested

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 206998 Police arrested a 19-year old Hillside man and seized drugs and cash following a crash in Port Melbourne on Thursday 19 February. Officers…

  • Memories go under the hammer

    Memories go under the hammer

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 535487 An original 1962 Jeep Willys four-by-four wagon which sits at the heart of fond family memories is just one of many vintage cars…

  • Ballan Autumn Festival’s landmark event

    Ballan Autumn Festival’s landmark event

    Ballan’s favourite community festival is set to return for its 50th annual event on Sunday 15 March, celebrating local culture, creativity, and community. The Ballan Autumn Festival is one of…

  • Teeing up for a cause in Caroline Springs

    Teeing up for a cause in Caroline Springs

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 535462 Caroline Springs Rotary Club is preparing to tee off for its major community fundraiser, with its inaugural charity golf day set for next…

  • Mustang juniors thrive

    Mustang juniors thrive

    Melton’s next generation turned their attention to indoor hockey over the summer breaks. The Mustangs had three sides play in the Hockey Victoria junior indoor challenge. President Matthew Simpson said…

  • Williamstown cold case mystery

    Williamstown cold case mystery

    Thirty-two years ago, 79-year-old Leah Buck was attacked and robbed in Williamstown in broad daylight. The severe injuries she sustained would result in her death the following day. Her attacker…

  • Dog park breaks ground

    Dog park breaks ground

    There’s good news for Moorabool residents with a furry friend, as ground has broken on a brand new off-leash dog park in Maddingley. Site works have begun on the off-leash…

  • Paw-sitive impact

    Paw-sitive impact

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 534816 Meet Bunji, the wellbeing superstar who’s turning heads at Melton Specialist School and showing the important role therapy dogs can play in school…

  • More extended pool hours

    More extended pool hours

    Residents looking to cool off this week can head to the Bacchus Marsh and Ballan outdoor pools, which are set to open on Thursday 19 February, through to Saturday 21…

  • Mission completed by Keayang Zahara

    Mission completed by Keayang Zahara

    There was as much relief as excitement when Keayang Zahara romped home and banked a $500,000 bonus in the Group 1 Great Southern Star. Co-trainer Paddy Lee conceded it had…