MELTON & MOORABOOL
Home » News » Growth suburbs feel price slump

Growth suburbs feel price slump

By Melissa Heagney/Domain

 

Land prices in Melbourne’s growth belts have fallen over the March quarter, with pre-election jitters and tighter credit conditions taking their toll.

Even though the more affordable regions on Melbourne’s outskirts have been in demand, median lot prices across seven key local government areas dropped by 2.7 per cent to a median of $325,000, according to Oliver Hume’s Quarterly Market Insights report.

Melton experienced the fifth highest drop in median lot prices, with a 1.7 per cent drop in the March quarter to a new median of $295,000. Nearby Wyndham fell by the same rate to a median of $325,000.

Casey experienced the biggest drop in Melbourne, falling by 5.8 per cent in the March quarter.

The fall followed the overall trend of Melbourne’s cooling market, where house price medians also dropped by 2.4 per cent in the first three months of this year.

Developers have also been offering incentives such as low-cost builds in select areas or the chance to buy with a small deposit amid the weak market.

Oliver Hume national head of research George Bougias said it was taking longer for transactions to complete in the slowing housing market.

But Melbourne’s growing population meant there was still demand for house and land packages.

He said the average time on the market had jumped from record lows of 20 days early last year to an average of 90 days in the March quarter, bringing the days on the market back to typical historical averages.

He also said volumes of sales in the March quarter were the lowest since early 2013, but he expected the market to improve from here.

“We consider sales volumes have probably now bottomed out and should gradually increase over the short-term as lending conditions continue to ease and buyer confidence improves,” he said.

“The underlying strength of the Victorian economy and a growing population also provide reasons to be more positive about the future.”

Digital Editions


  • Swayzee goes back-to-back

    Swayzee goes back-to-back

    Leap To Fame’s older brother Swayzee upstaged him again in another epic Hunter Cup and denied him a $1 million bonus at Melton last night.…

More News

  • Georgies top flight return

    Georgies top flight return

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 534346 It was a day almost eight years in the making for Caroline Springs George Cross on Saturday. The Georgies made their return to…

  • Burnside on top

    Burnside on top

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 393637 Burnside Springs United couldn’t have asked for much more on day one of its Victorian Turf Cricket Association Russell Pollock Shield clash. with…

  • Additional health test for newborns

    Additional health test for newborns

    Victoria has become the first Australian jurisdiction to include sickle cell disease in its universal newborn health screening program. This expansion brings the total number of rare but serious conditions…

  • Aussie kids salt risk

    Aussie kids salt risk

    Research taken from Deakin University has suggested most Australian children are at risk of developing high blood pressure at a younger age due to eating too much salt. In a…

  • Celebrity alcohol ads slip into teens’ Insta feeds

    Celebrity alcohol ads slip into teens’ Insta feeds

    Celebrities are promoting their own alcohol products on Instagram without clear disclosure of advertising content and almost all posts are visible to underage users, according to new research from La…

  • New toolkit to help women report abuse in sport

    New toolkit to help women report abuse in sport

    Australian women face significant risk when disclosing gender-based violence in sport and often receive inadequate or harmful responses according to new research from La Trobe Univeristy. The research project, supported…

  • Finalists announced for AFL community venue award

    Finalists announced for AFL community venue award

    The 2025 finalists have been announced for the AFL’s Ken Gannon Football Facilities Award, recognising the projects that set the benchmark in best-practice design and development to support the continued…

  • Multicultural health committee expanded

    Multicultural health committee expanded

    Victoria’s Multicultural Health Advisory Committee has been expanded in an effort to make the state’s health system more inclusive and diverse. Health Minister Mary-Anne Thomas unveiled the strengthened and expanded…

  • Forum supports women living with epilepsy across all life stages

    Forum supports women living with epilepsy across all life stages

    Epilepsy Action Australia and Australian Women with Epilepsy are inviting women across the country to take part in a powerful one-day forum designed to uplift, inform and support women living…

  • Funding to improve road safety across Victoria

    Funding to improve road safety across Victoria

    Victorian community organisations and groups will get a total of $600,000 in grants from the Transport Accident Commission (TAC) to develop and implement local road safety projects. The funding, part…