MELTON & MOORABOOL
Home » News » Extended support for tutors

Extended support for tutors

The state government has allocated an extra $258.4 million to extend the Tutor Learning Initiative into 2023, which will allow Victorian schools to retain the tutors who gave such profound support to students, including those in Melton and Moorabool, throughout 2021 and 2022.

More than 99,500 students in government schools have already received tutoring support so far this year, with more than 2000 schools participating and government schools employing more than 5150 tutors.

First announced for the 2021 school year, the initiative was launched in response to the period of remote and flexible learning in 2020 and was continued again last year after feedback that it not only supported students to catch up on schoolwork but provided the critical boost to confidence many kids needed.

The tutor program has called on pre-service teachers, teachers on leave, retired teachers and casual relief teachers to get back in the classroom – with at least one tutor in all government schools, including in Maribyrnong and Hobsons Bay.

Over the past two years, tutors have worked both in the classroom and remotely to identify and support the students who needed extra help.

Education Minister Natalie Hutchins said tutors were an important part of the education system during 2020 and 2021.

“Our tutors play an integral role in ensuring that Victorian students can get the best education – that’s why we are extending the program to ensure these learning supports continue to be available,” she said.

Digital Editions


  • Eagles big scalp

    Eagles big scalp

    Eynesbury Eagles pulled off one of the upsets of the Gisborne and District Cricket Association Johnstone Shield season on Saturday. With just one win of…

More News

  • Lions’ fall short

    Lions’ fall short

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 389722 Melton almost pulled off a win in a low scoring affair against Williamstown in the Victorian Sub-District Cricket Association east-west on the weekend.…

  • From the archives

    From the archives

    30 years ago 21 February 1996 A 200-metre section of High Street, Melton, would be closed and covered under a radical Melton Business Association proposal. 20 years go 21 February…

  • Ambulance response times up

    Ambulance response times up

    Ambulance response times across both Melton and Moorabool have improved slightly over the last quarter, according to the latest data released by Ambulance Victoria (AV). Paramedics in Melton responded to…

  • Coaches replace evening trains

    Coaches replace evening trains

    Evening train services on the Ballarat line will be replaced by coaches over three nights next month due to maintenance works. Coaches will replace evening trains for the entire journey…

  • A slippery problem

    A slippery problem

    Multiple snake sightings have been made at Burnside Heights Recreation Reserve, prompting safety concerns from Burnside Springs United Cricket Club and renewed calls for assistance from authorities. A snake was…

  • Total fire ban declared

    Total fire ban declared

    Residents across Melton and Moorabool are being urged to remain vigilant today, with a total fire ban declared for Victoria’s Central District amid hot, dry and winy conditions. Authorities have…

  • Peter Carey award returns

    Peter Carey award returns

    Submissions are now open for Moorabool’s tenth annual Peter Carey short story award. Moorabool Libraries and local writers Jem Tyler-Miller and Wayne Marshall will be celebrating the award for its…

  • Grass fire in Fiskville

    Grass fire in Fiskville

    Grassfire advice has been issued for the Ballan district. An advice message has been issued for Ballan, Fiskville, Mount Wallace and Yaloak as firefighters respond to a grassfire in Fiskville.…

  • Swayzee goes back-to-back

    Swayzee goes back-to-back

    Leap To Fame’s older brother Swayzee upstaged him again in another epic Hunter Cup and denied him a $1 million bonus at Melton last night. Just as he did last…

  • Get kinder ready

    Get kinder ready

    Melton council is gearing up for Kindergarten Readiness Month, with a series of free information sessions set to help families prepare for three- and-four-year old kindergarten. Parents and carers can…