MELTON & MOORABOOL
Home » News » Dirty start for schools

Dirty start for schools

Government schools are going to be ‘dirtier, unhygienic, and ultimately more dangerous’ for students, a union is warning following continuing contract disputes with cleaning companies Serco and Tradeflex.

The United Workers Union (UWU) is warning of the consequences to students, teachers and cleaners, following a new deal that is set to slash contract hours and strip cleaners of up to 60 per cent of their wage.

Serco and Tradeflex contracts run from January 15 to Christmas Day and replace ISS Facility Services, whose contract formally ended on December 22, 2023.

UWU property service organiser Corey Matthews said the state government was unable to solve issues with the contract change going into Christmas.

“It’s been an awful start to the year for Victoria’s school cleaners with many asking the union how to apply for unemployment benefits,” he said. “[With] some having to ask for extensions on their mortgages with the bank.

“What this means for Victorian families is that going into the 2024 school year state government schools are going to be dirtier, unhygienic, and ultimately more dangerous for our kids.”

On December 20, Education Minister Ben Carroll announced “a range of improvements to school cleaning services that will strengthen and enhance workplace conditions for Victorian school cleaners.”

This statement read that from 2025 cleaners in Victoria will receive a five per cent pay rise above the Cleaning Services Award and extended contracts of 52 weeks guaranteed for one quarter of cleaning staff.

Mr Matthews said the situation wouldn’t have happened if Mr Carroll was paying attention.

“It appears that the new deputy premier and education minister is struggling to adjust to his new portfolios and the responsibilities attached,” he said.

“It’s an incredibly bizarre and out of touch announcement when you have on average cleaners suffering a decrease of 35 per cent in wages, with the most extreme examples… losing 60 per cent.

“Currently the new contractors are milking the government purse by receiving the same amount of money whilst cutting service delivery by over a third.”

Mr Matthews said UWU is in the process of taking ISS to the fair work commission on behalf of members for redundancy payments, with more than 30 members not offered jobs with no redundancy payment made yet.

A Department of Education spokesperson, in response to questions put to Mr Carroll, said they are committed to ensuring schools receive consistent, high-quality cleaning services and that cleaners are paid at the correct rate and receive their entitlements.

“There has been no reduction in funding and cleaning service specification as part of the transition from ISS to Serco and Tradeflex for the 2024 school year,” they said.

“In addition, the department has instructed Serco and Tradeflex that there is to be no loss of seniority for employees who were previously employed by ISS and will be undertaking the same tasks.

“We will not tolerate any evidenced breaches of workplace laws and regulations.”

An ISS company spokesperson said they have been working to facilitate a smooth transition for employees to the new service providers in recent months.

“A small number of employees chose not to accept employment with the new providers or did not receive an offer. We have redeployed those cleaners where possible and paid redundancy to eligible employees unable to be redeployed.”

Digital Editions


  • Swayzee goes back-to-back

    Swayzee goes back-to-back

    Leap To Fame’s older brother Swayzee upstaged him again in another epic Hunter Cup and denied him a $1 million bonus at Melton last night.…

More News

  • Georgies top flight return

    Georgies top flight return

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 534346 It was a day almost eight years in the making for Caroline Springs George Cross on Saturday. The Georgies made their return to…

  • Burnside on top

    Burnside on top

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 393637 Burnside Springs United couldn’t have asked for much more on day one of its Victorian Turf Cricket Association Russell Pollock Shield clash. with…

  • Additional health test for newborns

    Additional health test for newborns

    Victoria has become the first Australian jurisdiction to include sickle cell disease in its universal newborn health screening program. This expansion brings the total number of rare but serious conditions…

  • Aussie kids salt risk

    Aussie kids salt risk

    Research taken from Deakin University has suggested most Australian children are at risk of developing high blood pressure at a younger age due to eating too much salt. In a…

  • Celebrity alcohol ads slip into teens’ Insta feeds

    Celebrity alcohol ads slip into teens’ Insta feeds

    Celebrities are promoting their own alcohol products on Instagram without clear disclosure of advertising content and almost all posts are visible to underage users, according to new research from La…

  • New toolkit to help women report abuse in sport

    New toolkit to help women report abuse in sport

    Australian women face significant risk when disclosing gender-based violence in sport and often receive inadequate or harmful responses according to new research from La Trobe Univeristy. The research project, supported…

  • Finalists announced for AFL community venue award

    Finalists announced for AFL community venue award

    The 2025 finalists have been announced for the AFL’s Ken Gannon Football Facilities Award, recognising the projects that set the benchmark in best-practice design and development to support the continued…

  • Multicultural health committee expanded

    Multicultural health committee expanded

    Victoria’s Multicultural Health Advisory Committee has been expanded in an effort to make the state’s health system more inclusive and diverse. Health Minister Mary-Anne Thomas unveiled the strengthened and expanded…

  • Forum supports women living with epilepsy across all life stages

    Forum supports women living with epilepsy across all life stages

    Epilepsy Action Australia and Australian Women with Epilepsy are inviting women across the country to take part in a powerful one-day forum designed to uplift, inform and support women living…

  • Funding to improve road safety across Victoria

    Funding to improve road safety across Victoria

    Victorian community organisations and groups will get a total of $600,000 in grants from the Transport Accident Commission (TAC) to develop and implement local road safety projects. The funding, part…