MELTON & MOORABOOL
Home » News » Dance dads banned from rehearsals

Dance dads banned from rehearsals

A blanket ban on fathers attending dress rehearsals at their daughters’ calisthenics club has hit a sour note with some parents.

Melton Calisthenics Club posted signs last week asking fathers not to attend the rehearsals because of a lack of changing facilities at its hired venue.

The club, which operates from a converted factory in Reserve Road, confirmed fathers were not allowed to attend rehearsals because costume changes were done “in the open” in the auditorium.

But the father of one young dancer, who asked not to be named, said a ban on dads was not the solution.

“I understand why fathers wouldn’t be allowed into dressing rooms and I’m not disputing that,” he told Star Weekly.

“I just think the kids need to be using changing rooms. I guarantee that not everyone, women included, would feel comfortable dressing in front of each other out in the open.

“My daughter enjoys it when I come to support her at rehearsals. The kids just want to show their parents what they’ve been working on.”

Another parent said she was angry her partner was being discriminated against.

“I fully support protecting the dignity and privacy of women and children, but this is discrimination,” she said.

“Not every man is a predator. My daughter loves her dad attending her dancing performances.

“What about single dads who have no choice but to take their daughters? I’m so disappointed they have made this decision.”

She said the club was not prepared to pay extra to hire screens or dressing rooms for rehearsals.

A spokeswoman for the club refused to be drawn on the issue but asked that concerned parents speak to her directly.

Calisthenics Victoria states that all dancers, boys and girls, should wear body suits to avoid incidents of unwanted attention.

The association also acknowledges on its website that fathers share an equal interest in supporting their children.

Melton dad Paul Falzon’s son, Aiden, attends DanceSport Westside.

“All the dads are made to feel welcome here and there are a lot of us,” he said. “It’s important to us as dads to be able to support our children in what they’re learning.”

Wolfgang Wessner’s four children all dance at DanceSport Westside.

“Why shouldn’t dads be allowed to come to rehearsals?” he said.

“These are our children and some fathers don’t have a choice.

“Dads are in the changing rooms after footy training and kids get changed in the carpark after games.

“Should we ban mums from footy grounds? What’s the difference at dancing?”

Digital Editions


  • Swayzee goes back-to-back

    Swayzee goes back-to-back

    Leap To Fame’s older brother Swayzee upstaged him again in another epic Hunter Cup and denied him a $1 million bonus at Melton last night.…

More News

  • Georgies top flight return

    Georgies top flight return

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 534346 It was a day almost eight years in the making for Caroline Springs George Cross on Saturday. The Georgies made their return to…

  • Burnside on top

    Burnside on top

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 393637 Burnside Springs United couldn’t have asked for much more on day one of its Victorian Turf Cricket Association Russell Pollock Shield clash. with…

  • Additional health test for newborns

    Additional health test for newborns

    Victoria has become the first Australian jurisdiction to include sickle cell disease in its universal newborn health screening program. This expansion brings the total number of rare but serious conditions…

  • Aussie kids salt risk

    Aussie kids salt risk

    Research taken from Deakin University has suggested most Australian children are at risk of developing high blood pressure at a younger age due to eating too much salt. In a…

  • Celebrity alcohol ads slip into teens’ Insta feeds

    Celebrity alcohol ads slip into teens’ Insta feeds

    Celebrities are promoting their own alcohol products on Instagram without clear disclosure of advertising content and almost all posts are visible to underage users, according to new research from La…

  • New toolkit to help women report abuse in sport

    New toolkit to help women report abuse in sport

    Australian women face significant risk when disclosing gender-based violence in sport and often receive inadequate or harmful responses according to new research from La Trobe Univeristy. The research project, supported…

  • Finalists announced for AFL community venue award

    Finalists announced for AFL community venue award

    The 2025 finalists have been announced for the AFL’s Ken Gannon Football Facilities Award, recognising the projects that set the benchmark in best-practice design and development to support the continued…

  • Multicultural health committee expanded

    Multicultural health committee expanded

    Victoria’s Multicultural Health Advisory Committee has been expanded in an effort to make the state’s health system more inclusive and diverse. Health Minister Mary-Anne Thomas unveiled the strengthened and expanded…

  • Forum supports women living with epilepsy across all life stages

    Forum supports women living with epilepsy across all life stages

    Epilepsy Action Australia and Australian Women with Epilepsy are inviting women across the country to take part in a powerful one-day forum designed to uplift, inform and support women living…

  • Funding to improve road safety across Victoria

    Funding to improve road safety across Victoria

    Victorian community organisations and groups will get a total of $600,000 in grants from the Transport Accident Commission (TAC) to develop and implement local road safety projects. The funding, part…