MELTON & MOORABOOL
Home » News » Council Palestine clash

Council Palestine clash

A dramatic verbal clash at the Melton Civic Centre has left one resident fuming.

Adam Duggan, who is a founding member of the Melton Council Palestinian Solidarity Group, submitted two questions and a petition for a council meeting on Monday August 26.

The first question was accepted by council, but the second question and the petition were ignored.

Following the conclusion of public question time, Mr Duggan, who attended the meeting, protested the overlooking of his concerns.

Star Weekly can reveal that the second question submitted to council by Mr Duggan was: ‘(With the exception of Steve Abboushi), Melton councillors and council staff continually fail to acknowledge emails and phone calls from residents. Why is this, and how does the council propose to rectify this shortcoming?’

A Melton council spokesperson said the second query was inappropriate for public question time.

“Under Council’s Governance Rules there are a number of reasons why a question may be disallowed,” they said.

“In this instance, the public question was disallowed as it was determined that it related to a matter which should be dealt with through Council’s Complaint Management Process.”

During the altercation, Melton mayor Kathy Majdlik cited governance rules 62.7.4 and 62.7.9 as reasons why the question was unanswered.

Rule 62.7.9, which was adopted in 2020, states ‘A question may be disallowed by the chair or the chief executive officer if it relates to confidential, personal or sensitive information’.

Mr Duggan said the council hid behind the rules to avoid further interrogation.

“Why didn’t they answer that second question? [Because] I think it would lead to further questions,” he said.

The petition requests Melton councillors to “stand firmly in solidarity with the people of Palestine” by raising a motion to “call for an immediate and permanent ceasefire” and “condemn the violence of Israeli forces.”

It was started in December last year and has 2000 signatures.

Mr Duggan said he was bewildered that the petition was not accepted considering the number of people who support it.

“It’s on change.org, which is globally the biggest [petition site]… they are being ridiculous,” he said.

“That many signatures is a lot of people.”

The two petitions tabled during the meeting received 26 and 471 signatories respectively.

Council did not answer Star Weekly’s question about why the petition was not accepted.

Digital Editions


More News

  • Hillside man arrested

    Hillside man arrested

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 206998 Police arrested a 19-year old Hillside man and seized drugs and cash following a crash in Port Melbourne on Thursday 19 February. Officers…

  • Memories go under the hammer

    Memories go under the hammer

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 535487 An original 1962 Jeep Willys four-by-four wagon which sits at the heart of fond family memories is just one of many vintage cars…

  • Ballan Autumn Festival’s landmark event

    Ballan Autumn Festival’s landmark event

    Ballan’s favourite community festival is set to return for its 50th annual event on Sunday 15 March, celebrating local culture, creativity, and community. The Ballan Autumn Festival is one of…

  • Teeing up for a cause in Caroline Springs

    Teeing up for a cause in Caroline Springs

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 535462 Caroline Springs Rotary Club is preparing to tee off for its major community fundraiser, with its inaugural charity golf day set for next…

  • Mustang juniors thrive

    Mustang juniors thrive

    Melton’s next generation turned their attention to indoor hockey over the summer breaks. The Mustangs had three sides play in the Hockey Victoria junior indoor challenge. President Matthew Simpson said…

  • Williamstown cold case mystery

    Williamstown cold case mystery

    Thirty-two years ago, 79-year-old Leah Buck was attacked and robbed in Williamstown in broad daylight. The severe injuries she sustained would result in her death the following day. Her attacker…

  • Dog park breaks ground

    Dog park breaks ground

    There’s good news for Moorabool residents with a furry friend, as ground has broken on a brand new off-leash dog park in Maddingley. Site works have begun on the off-leash…

  • Paw-sitive impact

    Paw-sitive impact

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 534816 Meet Bunji, the wellbeing superstar who’s turning heads at Melton Specialist School and showing the important role therapy dogs can play in school…

  • More extended pool hours

    More extended pool hours

    Residents looking to cool off this week can head to the Bacchus Marsh and Ballan outdoor pools, which are set to open on Thursday 19 February, through to Saturday 21…

  • Mission completed by Keayang Zahara

    Mission completed by Keayang Zahara

    There was as much relief as excitement when Keayang Zahara romped home and banked a $500,000 bonus in the Group 1 Great Southern Star. Co-trainer Paddy Lee conceded it had…