MELTON & MOORABOOL
Home » News » Concerns brushed aside before stillbirth

Concerns brushed aside before stillbirth

In her heart, Julie McIntosh knew her baby boy had already died. She hadn’t felt Xavier move all night and all morning.

In a panic, the Melton South mother raced to Bacchus Marsh and Melton Regional Hospital on a Saturday in March, 2010, where midwives attempted to find a heartbeat using a monitor known as a Doppler.

“They couldn’t find a heartbeat, so they told me to wait until Monday morning and go to the ultrasound place in Melton … because the hospital didn’t have the equipment.”

At a subsequent ultrasound, staff could not find a heartbeat. Ms McIntosh was referred back to the hospital and was unsuccessfully induced several times over the next three days.

By the Wednesday, Ms McIntosh, who desperately wanted to have a caesarean, gave birth to Xavier. She cradled her long-awaited son, stillborn at 37 weeks.

‘Messing with my head’

When the grieving mother asked for an autopsy to determine the cause of his death, she says the midwives and nurses “played on her emotions”.

“They said he’s deteriorated so quickly; we don’t recommend it … you don’t know how they’re [the coroner] going to treat his organs; – he looks so perfect,” Ms McIntosh said.

“They were just messing with my head.”

Reluctantly, she chose not to go ahead with an autopsy but, deep down, she always believed poor care from hospital staff may have contributed to her son’s death.

RELATED: Minster orders hospital to be compassionate

At the time of her pregnancy, Ms McIntosh weighed 103 kilograms and was on a controlled diet for gestational diabetes.

However, Ms McIntosh said the hospital rarely monitored her insulin levels, she was seldom sent for extra ultrasounds, and she claims her concerns about her pregnancy were almost always dismissed.

At 36 weeks, when she called the hospital to say her insulin levels were higher than they had been during her pregnancy, she said midwives told her not to worry and wait for her next appointment.

She claims her concerns were brushed aside, time and again.

But just a week after that call to the hospital, Ms McIntosh was holding her dead baby son.

“As a mother, you don’t want to go through anything like that.

“Now I’m having another boy and my anxiety levels are so high, it’s scary. Am I going to come home with a child this time?”

Ms McIntosh is one of a number of women who have approached law firm Maurice Blackburn for help after revelations the deaths of up to seven babies born at the Bacchus Marsh hospital between 2013 and 2014 may have been avoided.

A spokesman for the hospital said they could not comment on individual cases or individual claims.

Digital Editions


  • Eagles big scalp

    Eagles big scalp

    Eynesbury Eagles pulled off one of the upsets of the Gisborne and District Cricket Association Johnstone Shield season on Saturday. With just one win of…

More News

  • Lions’ fall short

    Lions’ fall short

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 389722 Melton almost pulled off a win in a low scoring affair against Williamstown in the Victorian Sub-District Cricket Association east-west on the weekend.…

  • From the archives

    From the archives

    30 years ago 21 February 1996 A 200-metre section of High Street, Melton, would be closed and covered under a radical Melton Business Association proposal. 20 years go 21 February…

  • Ambulance response times up

    Ambulance response times up

    Ambulance response times across both Melton and Moorabool have improved slightly over the last quarter, according to the latest data released by Ambulance Victoria (AV). Paramedics in Melton responded to…

  • Coaches replace evening trains

    Coaches replace evening trains

    Evening train services on the Ballarat line will be replaced by coaches over three nights next month due to maintenance works. Coaches will replace evening trains for the entire journey…

  • A slippery problem

    A slippery problem

    Multiple snake sightings have been made at Burnside Heights Recreation Reserve, prompting safety concerns from Burnside Springs United Cricket Club and renewed calls for assistance from authorities. A snake was…

  • Total fire ban declared

    Total fire ban declared

    Residents across Melton and Moorabool are being urged to remain vigilant today, with a total fire ban declared for Victoria’s Central District amid hot, dry and winy conditions. Authorities have…

  • Peter Carey award returns

    Peter Carey award returns

    Submissions are now open for Moorabool’s tenth annual Peter Carey short story award. Moorabool Libraries and local writers Jem Tyler-Miller and Wayne Marshall will be celebrating the award for its…

  • Grass fire in Fiskville

    Grass fire in Fiskville

    Grassfire advice has been issued for the Ballan district. An advice message has been issued for Ballan, Fiskville, Mount Wallace and Yaloak as firefighters respond to a grassfire in Fiskville.…

  • Swayzee goes back-to-back

    Swayzee goes back-to-back

    Leap To Fame’s older brother Swayzee upstaged him again in another epic Hunter Cup and denied him a $1 million bonus at Melton last night. Just as he did last…

  • Get kinder ready

    Get kinder ready

    Melton council is gearing up for Kindergarten Readiness Month, with a series of free information sessions set to help families prepare for three- and-four-year old kindergarten. Parents and carers can…