MELTON & MOORABOOL
Home » News » CFA hoses down fears for future

CFA hoses down fears for future

It will be business as usual for Country Fire Authority staff and volunteers in Melton and Caroline Springs despite uncertainty about their future.

The state government this month released a plan that, if approved by Parliament, would see the CFA split in two.

The proposal would make the CFA a volunteer-only organisation, while a new agency, Fire Rescue Victoria (FRV), would be established to cover career firefighters who work in Melbourne and major regional areas.

CFA volunteers serving at the state’s 35 integrated stations with career firefighters, such as Melton and Caroline Springs, would be able to stay put but would come under the supervision of the FRV.

CFA chief officer Steve Warrington said that, at this stage, the organisation would remain “largely the same”.

He assured the community that the service will continue to be provided now and into the future.

“Our focus needs to be on supporting our service people … and providing our communities with the confidence that we’ll be there,” Mr Warrington said.

“It’s a big announcement and there are a lot of questions that we all have and we need to work through that over a period of time – but the priority is that we continue to support our staff and volunteers particularly at our integrated stations.”

Western Victoria MP Simon Ramsay said breaking up the CFA was effectively handing over control to the United Firefighters Union.

“Enormous power over the management and operational responsibilities of this new service [will now be with the union],” Mr Ramsay said.

“Volunteers will slowly be marginalised and pushed out of previously integrated stations and as the union-controlled Fire Rescue Victoria extends its boundaries, with population growth, the future role of the CFA volunteer will become less clear.”

The state government has pledged a package of more than $100 million to help the CFA with training, equipment and facilities if the reforms go ahead.

The package will include a $56.2 million CFA Support Fund to strengthen volunteer recruitment, retention and training options, expand brigade support and develop leadership.

A government statement said these reforms were “expected to take a number of years” to implement.

“Volunteers will remain integral to Victoria’s response to fires and other emergencies, particularly in campaign and surge events,” the statement said.

Digital Editions


  • Eagles big scalp

    Eagles big scalp

    Eynesbury Eagles pulled off one of the upsets of the Gisborne and District Cricket Association Johnstone Shield season on Saturday. With just one win of…

More News

  • Lions’ fall short

    Lions’ fall short

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 389722 Melton almost pulled off a win in a low scoring affair against Williamstown in the Victorian Sub-District Cricket Association east-west on the weekend.…

  • From the archives

    From the archives

    30 years ago 21 February 1996 A 200-metre section of High Street, Melton, would be closed and covered under a radical Melton Business Association proposal. 20 years go 21 February…

  • Ambulance response times up

    Ambulance response times up

    Ambulance response times across both Melton and Moorabool have improved slightly over the last quarter, according to the latest data released by Ambulance Victoria (AV). Paramedics in Melton responded to…

  • Coaches replace evening trains

    Coaches replace evening trains

    Evening train services on the Ballarat line will be replaced by coaches over three nights next month due to maintenance works. Coaches will replace evening trains for the entire journey…

  • A slippery problem

    A slippery problem

    Multiple snake sightings have been made at Burnside Heights Recreation Reserve, prompting safety concerns from Burnside Springs United Cricket Club and renewed calls for assistance from authorities. A snake was…

  • Total fire ban declared

    Total fire ban declared

    Residents across Melton and Moorabool are being urged to remain vigilant today, with a total fire ban declared for Victoria’s Central District amid hot, dry and winy conditions. Authorities have…

  • Peter Carey award returns

    Peter Carey award returns

    Submissions are now open for Moorabool’s tenth annual Peter Carey short story award. Moorabool Libraries and local writers Jem Tyler-Miller and Wayne Marshall will be celebrating the award for its…

  • Grass fire in Fiskville

    Grass fire in Fiskville

    Grassfire advice has been issued for the Ballan district. An advice message has been issued for Ballan, Fiskville, Mount Wallace and Yaloak as firefighters respond to a grassfire in Fiskville.…

  • Swayzee goes back-to-back

    Swayzee goes back-to-back

    Leap To Fame’s older brother Swayzee upstaged him again in another epic Hunter Cup and denied him a $1 million bonus at Melton last night. Just as he did last…

  • Get kinder ready

    Get kinder ready

    Melton council is gearing up for Kindergarten Readiness Month, with a series of free information sessions set to help families prepare for three- and-four-year old kindergarten. Parents and carers can…