MELTON & MOORABOOL
Home » News » Burnside owner shaken by attacks

Burnside owner shaken by attacks

A Burnside mini mart owner whose business has been broken into three times in the past four months is considering leaving the country after the string of violent robberies.

Thieves armed with a hammer smashed through the front doors of the milk bar on March 3 – the third attack on the business since November.

The business owner, who asked not to be named, has joined a chorus of calls by residents asking for more police in nearby Caroline Springs.

“I’m tired and exhausted and I haven’t slept and I can’t eat,” the milk bar owner told

Star Weekly last week. “My family is in Pakistan and they can’t help me when this happens.

“I came to Melbourne to make a life for me and my family and I opened my business in July … but four months after opening, thieves started breaking into my home and my shop.

“This is not life, I tried to find a good life but I haven’t found it so I want to leave.”

Police believe the car used in the robbery, which was captured on camera, was one of two vehicles stolen in a violent home invasion in Kings Park on March 2.

“These thieves are very strong and I was nearly crying I was so scared,” the business owner said.

He said he lost $9000 in cash and cigarettes in the first attack on the Burnside store, on November 22.

The store was also hit on February 4 when a man smashed through the front doors with a crowbar.

Burnside resident Derek Milligan said aggravated burglaries were becoming a weekly occurrence in the Caroline Springs area.

“I can’t even buy a decent car without the fear of putting a target on my home to get robbed these days,” Mr Milligan said.

He said he was disappointed to see so few officers stationed in the area.

Last Tuesday, Victoria Police announced the deployment of 825 additional officers across the state over the next year, starting in May. The Melton service area will get four officers and another seven will be deployed to Caroline Springs in family violence specialist roles.

A total of 300 police are being allocated to areas with the highest need including Wyndham, Melton, Hume and Cardinia while another 93 will take on specialist policing roles and 208 dedicated family violence police.

Chief Commissioner Graham Ashton said Victoria Police was focused on keeping people safe.

“To do that we need to be the best policing service we can be – agile and responsive to the needs of communities, on the front foot, preventing crime and locking up offenders,” Mr Ashton said.

Digital Editions


  • Swayzee goes back-to-back

    Swayzee goes back-to-back

    Leap To Fame’s older brother Swayzee upstaged him again in another epic Hunter Cup and denied him a $1 million bonus at Melton last night.…

More News

  • Georgies top flight return

    Georgies top flight return

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 534346 It was a day almost eight years in the making for Caroline Springs George Cross on Saturday. The Georgies made their return to…

  • Burnside on top

    Burnside on top

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 393637 Burnside Springs United couldn’t have asked for much more on day one of its Victorian Turf Cricket Association Russell Pollock Shield clash. with…

  • Additional health test for newborns

    Additional health test for newborns

    Victoria has become the first Australian jurisdiction to include sickle cell disease in its universal newborn health screening program. This expansion brings the total number of rare but serious conditions…

  • Aussie kids salt risk

    Aussie kids salt risk

    Research taken from Deakin University has suggested most Australian children are at risk of developing high blood pressure at a younger age due to eating too much salt. In a…

  • Celebrity alcohol ads slip into teens’ Insta feeds

    Celebrity alcohol ads slip into teens’ Insta feeds

    Celebrities are promoting their own alcohol products on Instagram without clear disclosure of advertising content and almost all posts are visible to underage users, according to new research from La…

  • New toolkit to help women report abuse in sport

    New toolkit to help women report abuse in sport

    Australian women face significant risk when disclosing gender-based violence in sport and often receive inadequate or harmful responses according to new research from La Trobe Univeristy. The research project, supported…

  • Finalists announced for AFL community venue award

    Finalists announced for AFL community venue award

    The 2025 finalists have been announced for the AFL’s Ken Gannon Football Facilities Award, recognising the projects that set the benchmark in best-practice design and development to support the continued…

  • Multicultural health committee expanded

    Multicultural health committee expanded

    Victoria’s Multicultural Health Advisory Committee has been expanded in an effort to make the state’s health system more inclusive and diverse. Health Minister Mary-Anne Thomas unveiled the strengthened and expanded…

  • Forum supports women living with epilepsy across all life stages

    Forum supports women living with epilepsy across all life stages

    Epilepsy Action Australia and Australian Women with Epilepsy are inviting women across the country to take part in a powerful one-day forum designed to uplift, inform and support women living…

  • Funding to improve road safety across Victoria

    Funding to improve road safety across Victoria

    Victorian community organisations and groups will get a total of $600,000 in grants from the Transport Accident Commission (TAC) to develop and implement local road safety projects. The funding, part…