MELTON & MOORABOOL
Home » News » Bacchus Marsh hospital ‘will only grow’

Bacchus Marsh hospital ‘will only grow’

Maternity services at Bacchus Marsh and Melton Regional Hospital will continue and be expanded as the two towns grow.

The Health Department’s service performance and programs deputy secretary Frances Diver last week quashed rumours that the state government planned to pull the plug on the beleaguered Bacchus Marsh hospital, amid investigations into the deaths of seven newborns in 2013 and 2014.

“There are absolutely no plans to close the hospital in Bacchus Marsh,” Ms Diver said.

“To meet the needs of the broader community growing in Bacchus Marsh and Melton, we need to grow services – both hospital-based and community-based.

“So my expectation is that services will grow across both towns.”

Speaking at last week’s annual meeting of Djerriwarrh Health Services, which runs the hospital, Dr John Ballard “sincerely apologised” to the women and their families who had lost babies in “avoidable” circumstances.

Dr Ballard, who was appointed hospital administrator after its board was sacked last month, sought to reassure people that “necessary provisions” had been put in place to ensure the safety of maternity services.

Djerriwarrh Health Services implemented six of Professor Euan Wallace’s recommendations after his investigation into the hospital’s maternity services earlier this year. Another four recommendations are still being introduced.

Improved governance

Dr Ballard said the health service had new clinical governance systems, extra support and training for staff, and new resources, including centralised fetal monitoring systems as recommended by Professor Wallace.

“Sound clinical governance is the basis for safe, quality care,” Dr Ballard said.

“Deficits in clinical governance are a key contributor to what occurred in maternity services at the hospital here in Bacchus Marsh.

“There is no one person who is the common denominator in all of these cases.

“Blaming anyone or anything will not change the past; we must focus on the future by addressing the systemic issues at Djerriwarrh.”

Djerriwarrh Health Services chief executive Andrew Freeman said patient numbers at the hospital’s maternity ward had decreased, but the hospital was committed to restoring community trust.

“We’ve gone through an awfully, awfully difficult period … and we need to gain the trust of the community again,” he said.

He said, a new quality and safety committee will report back to the board in a bid to “increase accountability and transparency”.

Digital Editions


  • Swayzee goes back-to-back

    Swayzee goes back-to-back

    Leap To Fame’s older brother Swayzee upstaged him again in another epic Hunter Cup and denied him a $1 million bonus at Melton last night.…

More News

  • Georgies top flight return

    Georgies top flight return

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 534346 It was a day almost eight years in the making for Caroline Springs George Cross on Saturday. The Georgies made their return to…

  • Burnside on top

    Burnside on top

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 393637 Burnside Springs United couldn’t have asked for much more on day one of its Victorian Turf Cricket Association Russell Pollock Shield clash. with…

  • Additional health test for newborns

    Additional health test for newborns

    Victoria has become the first Australian jurisdiction to include sickle cell disease in its universal newborn health screening program. This expansion brings the total number of rare but serious conditions…

  • Aussie kids salt risk

    Aussie kids salt risk

    Research taken from Deakin University has suggested most Australian children are at risk of developing high blood pressure at a younger age due to eating too much salt. In a…

  • Celebrity alcohol ads slip into teens’ Insta feeds

    Celebrity alcohol ads slip into teens’ Insta feeds

    Celebrities are promoting their own alcohol products on Instagram without clear disclosure of advertising content and almost all posts are visible to underage users, according to new research from La…

  • New toolkit to help women report abuse in sport

    New toolkit to help women report abuse in sport

    Australian women face significant risk when disclosing gender-based violence in sport and often receive inadequate or harmful responses according to new research from La Trobe Univeristy. The research project, supported…

  • Finalists announced for AFL community venue award

    Finalists announced for AFL community venue award

    The 2025 finalists have been announced for the AFL’s Ken Gannon Football Facilities Award, recognising the projects that set the benchmark in best-practice design and development to support the continued…

  • Multicultural health committee expanded

    Multicultural health committee expanded

    Victoria’s Multicultural Health Advisory Committee has been expanded in an effort to make the state’s health system more inclusive and diverse. Health Minister Mary-Anne Thomas unveiled the strengthened and expanded…

  • Forum supports women living with epilepsy across all life stages

    Forum supports women living with epilepsy across all life stages

    Epilepsy Action Australia and Australian Women with Epilepsy are inviting women across the country to take part in a powerful one-day forum designed to uplift, inform and support women living…

  • Funding to improve road safety across Victoria

    Funding to improve road safety across Victoria

    Victorian community organisations and groups will get a total of $600,000 in grants from the Transport Accident Commission (TAC) to develop and implement local road safety projects. The funding, part…