MELTON & MOORABOOL
Home » News » Appeal denied in Melton fatal case

Appeal denied in Melton fatal case

A man who argued that three-and-a-half years’ jail for his role in a fatal crash at Melton was manifestly excessive has had his application to appeal refused.

David Smith was killed when his car collided with a car driven by James Carroll at the intersection of Coburns and Barries roads in October, 2014.

During a sentencing hearing in December, the court heard Carroll was travelling 27 km/h above the speed limit at the time of the collision in an attempt to get away from another driver he had been seen arguing with moments prior.

In sentencing Carroll, Judge Christopher Ryan said while he accepted Carroll’s fear was “based in fact”, the actual threat he had received “was not the kind he perceived”.

Carroll applied to the Supreme Court to appeal his sentence, arguing it was “manifestly excessive” given the mitigating circumstances.

In his application, Carroll said Judge Ryan “erred in his assessment of the objective gravity … failed to give sufficient weight to [Carroll’s] reduced moral culpability … erred in his assessment of his prospects of rehabilitation, and placed too much weight on his history of drug abuse and criminal record”.

Supreme Court Judge Joseph Santamaria dismissed the application, saying describing a sentence as manifestly excessive was a “stringent ground which is difficult to make good”.

He said the sentencing judge took into account Carroll’s fear, the circumstances of the offending, and merely gave a “straightforward” account of Carroll’s drug and alcohol use.

Carroll will be eligible for parole in two years.

Digital Editions


  • Swayzee goes back-to-back

    Swayzee goes back-to-back

    Leap To Fame’s older brother Swayzee upstaged him again in another epic Hunter Cup and denied him a $1 million bonus at Melton last night.…

More News

  • Georgies top flight return

    Georgies top flight return

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 534346 It was a day almost eight years in the making for Caroline Springs George Cross on Saturday. The Georgies made their return to…

  • Burnside on top

    Burnside on top

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 393637 Burnside Springs United couldn’t have asked for much more on day one of its Victorian Turf Cricket Association Russell Pollock Shield clash. with…

  • Additional health test for newborns

    Additional health test for newborns

    Victoria has become the first Australian jurisdiction to include sickle cell disease in its universal newborn health screening program. This expansion brings the total number of rare but serious conditions…

  • Aussie kids salt risk

    Aussie kids salt risk

    Research taken from Deakin University has suggested most Australian children are at risk of developing high blood pressure at a younger age due to eating too much salt. In a…

  • Celebrity alcohol ads slip into teens’ Insta feeds

    Celebrity alcohol ads slip into teens’ Insta feeds

    Celebrities are promoting their own alcohol products on Instagram without clear disclosure of advertising content and almost all posts are visible to underage users, according to new research from La…

  • New toolkit to help women report abuse in sport

    New toolkit to help women report abuse in sport

    Australian women face significant risk when disclosing gender-based violence in sport and often receive inadequate or harmful responses according to new research from La Trobe Univeristy. The research project, supported…

  • Finalists announced for AFL community venue award

    Finalists announced for AFL community venue award

    The 2025 finalists have been announced for the AFL’s Ken Gannon Football Facilities Award, recognising the projects that set the benchmark in best-practice design and development to support the continued…

  • Multicultural health committee expanded

    Multicultural health committee expanded

    Victoria’s Multicultural Health Advisory Committee has been expanded in an effort to make the state’s health system more inclusive and diverse. Health Minister Mary-Anne Thomas unveiled the strengthened and expanded…

  • Forum supports women living with epilepsy across all life stages

    Forum supports women living with epilepsy across all life stages

    Epilepsy Action Australia and Australian Women with Epilepsy are inviting women across the country to take part in a powerful one-day forum designed to uplift, inform and support women living…

  • Funding to improve road safety across Victoria

    Funding to improve road safety across Victoria

    Victorian community organisations and groups will get a total of $600,000 in grants from the Transport Accident Commission (TAC) to develop and implement local road safety projects. The funding, part…