MELTON & MOORABOOL
Home » News » Action needed on ’nasty’ road

Action needed on ’nasty’ road

Brimbank council will advocate for the safety of Taylors Road to be managed by the state goverment to avoid further accidents and fatalities.

Council will write to Road Safety Minister Melissa Horne asking that she declare Taylors Road between Kings Road and Westwood Drive a state-managed arterial road and provide additional lanes and supporting active transport infrastructure to match demand.

Councillor Maria Kerr is extremely passionate about finding a resolution, saying after another fatality on the ‘risky’ road, enough is enough.

“Taylors Road is an extremely busy and dangerous thoroughfare,” she said.

“We need the state government to listen to our concerns and declare this road state managed to avoid further accidents.

“There have been enough deaths and serious injuries. On behalf of the Brimbank community please help us fix this nasty, dangerous bottleneck.

“Not only are residents stuck in daily traffic jams, they’re also losing their lives.”

Local Aintree resident Kelly said the situation on Taylors Road has caused her family to consider moving away from the area completely.

“All of us who reside in the Taylors Road corridor are having patience tested on a daily basis,” she said.

“I’m not sure how much more we can stand. The commute to Taylors Lakes at 7:45am should not have me arriving at my destination after 9am.

“Daily, I am forced to join a five and an eight kilometre traffic jam and that is just to get my child to school and me to work.”

She said the road desperately needs to be duplicated to ease congestion for commuters.

Melton council has previously announced planned works, including a duplication of lanes between Sinclairs Road and Plumpton Road with a timeline of five to 10 years, and a duplication of lanes between City Vista Court and Sinclairs Road with a timeline of up to five years.

To improve safety, there is a signallised intersection planned between Taylors Road and Plumpton Road with an estimated completion of July, 2025.

A spokesperson for Minister Horne said “We’re monitoring the significant growth in Melbourne’s west and identifying ways to ease pressure on the transport network. The Department of Transport and Planning will work closely with Brimbank City Council to ensure the safety and efficiency of Taylors Rd, and its surrounding roads.”

Digital Editions


  • Eagles big scalp

    Eagles big scalp

    Eynesbury Eagles pulled off one of the upsets of the Gisborne and District Cricket Association Johnstone Shield season on Saturday. With just one win of…

More News

  • Lions’ fall short

    Lions’ fall short

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 389722 Melton almost pulled off a win in a low scoring affair against Williamstown in the Victorian Sub-District Cricket Association east-west on the weekend.…

  • From the archives

    From the archives

    30 years ago 21 February 1996 A 200-metre section of High Street, Melton, would be closed and covered under a radical Melton Business Association proposal. 20 years go 21 February…

  • Ambulance response times up

    Ambulance response times up

    Ambulance response times across both Melton and Moorabool have improved slightly over the last quarter, according to the latest data released by Ambulance Victoria (AV). Paramedics in Melton responded to…

  • Coaches replace evening trains

    Coaches replace evening trains

    Evening train services on the Ballarat line will be replaced by coaches over three nights next month due to maintenance works. Coaches will replace evening trains for the entire journey…

  • A slippery problem

    A slippery problem

    Multiple snake sightings have been made at Burnside Heights Recreation Reserve, prompting safety concerns from Burnside Springs United Cricket Club and renewed calls for assistance from authorities. A snake was…

  • Total fire ban declared

    Total fire ban declared

    Residents across Melton and Moorabool are being urged to remain vigilant today, with a total fire ban declared for Victoria’s Central District amid hot, dry and winy conditions. Authorities have…

  • Peter Carey award returns

    Peter Carey award returns

    Submissions are now open for Moorabool’s tenth annual Peter Carey short story award. Moorabool Libraries and local writers Jem Tyler-Miller and Wayne Marshall will be celebrating the award for its…

  • Grass fire in Fiskville

    Grass fire in Fiskville

    Grassfire advice has been issued for the Ballan district. An advice message has been issued for Ballan, Fiskville, Mount Wallace and Yaloak as firefighters respond to a grassfire in Fiskville.…

  • Swayzee goes back-to-back

    Swayzee goes back-to-back

    Leap To Fame’s older brother Swayzee upstaged him again in another epic Hunter Cup and denied him a $1 million bonus at Melton last night. Just as he did last…

  • Get kinder ready

    Get kinder ready

    Melton council is gearing up for Kindergarten Readiness Month, with a series of free information sessions set to help families prepare for three- and-four-year old kindergarten. Parents and carers can…