MELTON & MOORABOOL
Home » News » 700 drunk and drug drivers caught during road operation

700 drunk and drug drivers caught during road operation

More than 700 drunk and drug drivers were caught by Victoria Police during a major road safety effort across the Easter and Anzac Day period.

Police target impaired drivers from 17–27 April as part of an operation.

There were 375 drink driving offences detected from 214,355 preliminary breath tests.

A total of 371 drivers returned a positive roadside drug test.

This equates to one in every 21 drivers tested for drugs.

About 4800 speeding offences were detected, with three quarters of speeding drivers travelling between 10 and 25 kilometres an hour over the posted limit.

More than 850 drivers who should not have been on the road at all – because they were either unlicensed, disqualified or suspended from driving – were caught during the operation.

Police also issued 687 infringements to motorists for disobeying traffic signs or signals, 544 for mobile offences, and 187 for seatbelt noncompliance.

The total of11,758 traffic offences detected during the operation included:

• 4801 speeding offences

• 687 disobeying signs or signals offences

• 506 unlicensed drivers

• 544 mobile phone offences

• 345 disqualified or suspended drivers

• 187 seatbelt offences

• 234 vehicle impounds

• 1137 unregistered vehicles

• 371 drug driving offences from 8051 roadside drug tests and;

• 375 drink driving offences from 214,355 preliminary breath tests.

There were nine fatal collisions across the state during the operation.

The most recent led to a male driver killed when his car crashed at Warragul on Sunday, April 27.

There have been 95 lives lost on the roads so far this year, up from 92 at the same time last year.

Victoria Police road policing assistant commissioner Glenn Weir said that “the fact so many people are making bad choices during what we know is a high-risk period on our roads is extremely concerning.”

“The number of drivers detected drug and alcohol affected is completely unacceptable … these drivers are a risk not only to themselves but to all road users,” Mr Weir said.

“What’s particularly concerning is the 850 people who were detected driving while unlicensed, disqualified or suspended … unauthorised drivers are over-represented in road trauma, and we saw that to be the case during this operation, because around half of drivers involved in fatal collisions shouldn’t have been on the road in the first place,” he said.

“We are also seeing people fail to take simple precautions to keep themselves safe like wearing a seatbelt … to see that almost 200 people failed to buckle up is truly baffling … we will continue to have zero tolerance for those who blatantly disregard safety on our roads.”

Digital Editions


  • Falcons primed for finals

    Falcons primed for finals

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 517356 Caroline Springs locked in top spot while the Victorian Turf Cricket Association club made history on Saturday. The…

More News

  • Crack down on dodgy drivers

    Crack down on dodgy drivers

    New reforms are being introduced to protect Victorian taxi or ride-share passengers from being ripped off. The reforms, which come into effect on Sunday 1 March, will make it easier…

  • Police appeal for information on the disappearance of Brendan Breen

    Police appeal for information on the disappearance of Brendan Breen

    Police are appealing for information as part of their investigation into the suspicious disappearance of Brendan Breen 14 years ago. The then 55-year-old was last seen in Melbourne on 12…

  • Australia gears up for its biggest cuppa yet!

    Australia gears up for its biggest cuppa yet!

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 497716 Cancer Council is calling on Aussies to rally their family, friends, and especially their workmates, for Australia’s Biggest Morning Tea, the nation’s iconic…

  • Australia Post ramps up the horse-power for Lunar New Year

    Australia Post ramps up the horse-power for Lunar New Year

    Australia Post is celebrating the Year of the Horse with the release of its Lunar New Year stamp issue, and its first ever ‘DigiStamp’. The traditional Lunar New Year stamp…

  • More cameras coming to Victoria’s roads

    More cameras coming to Victoria’s roads

    The state government will roll out 35 new fixed cameras, two point-to-point networks and tougher distracted-driving and seatbelt enforcement as part of its Road Safety Action Plan. The state government…

  • New treatment options for anaphylaxis

    New treatment options for anaphylaxis

    Two new emergency treatment options will become available in Victorian schools to support students at risk of anaphylaxis. Education Minister Ben Carroll announced the two new services will soon become…

  • Di Filippo headed west

    Di Filippo headed west

    The Western Warriors have suffered a blow with midcourter Simona Di Filippo headed across the country to continue her netball career. Di Filippo, an inaugural player at the Warriors, was…

  • The sport of kings in Werribee

    The sport of kings in Werribee

    What many call the sport of kings will be on full display at Werribee Park as the historic Urquhart Cup polo tournament gallops into town on Sunday 1 March. More…

  • Hillside man arrested

    Hillside man arrested

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 206998 Police arrested a 19-year old Hillside man and seized drugs and cash following a crash in Port Melbourne on Thursday 19 February. Officers…

  • Memories go under the hammer

    Memories go under the hammer

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 535487 An original 1962 Jeep Willys four-by-four wagon which sits at the heart of fond family memories is just one of many vintage cars…