MELTON & MOORABOOL
Home » News » Residents called to help fix Blackwood mobile black spot

Residents called to help fix Blackwood mobile black spot

Moorabool council is urging Blackwood residents to lobby for the money to improve the area’s “atrocious” mobile phone coverage.

Mayor Paul Tatchell said that with Easter around the corner and more visitors flocking to the town, it was crucial that Blackwood get money under the federal government’s $100 million mobile coverage program.

Cr Tatchell encouraged residents to contact their telecommunications companies to lobby for Blackwood to receive funding.

“Mobile coverage in Blackwood, which we all know is a high-risk bushfire area, is atrocious and dangerous,” Cr Tatchell said. “We’re asking the community to get behind the push to demand better service.”

Cr Tatchell said Blackwood was a popular year-round tourist spot, with thousands of visitors in peak times such as Easter.

“With all that comes the fact that all these extra people, along with the locals, will not have mobile phone coverage and no one will have access to the FireReady app, online maps, the CFA website and no ability to receive emergency alerts,” he said.

“We want locals and tourists to enjoy this beautiful town without having to worry about their lives being in danger in an emergency.”

Cr Tatchell said he hoped visitors and tourists alike would contact their local members of parliament, as well as “telcos”, to lobby the government on their behalf.

“Telecommunications companies are being asked to submit an expression of interest to the government nominating areas that need funding under this program, so we want the community to make it known to Telstra, Optus or Vodafone Hutchison Australia just how desperately this is needed in Blackwood,” Cr Tatchell said.

“If we can convince the federal government to build some mobile infrastructure in our shire, it becomes feasible for the commercial operators to provide a mobile service in areas they have previously ignored.”

Anyone who wants to help the council’s push can obtain a pro forma letter to send off by contacting 5366 7100.

To hear and answer concerns about the issue or any other issues in Blackwood, Moorabool council representatives will be at a public forum at Blackwood Hall from 6.30 tonight.

Digital Editions


  • Swayzee goes back-to-back

    Swayzee goes back-to-back

    Leap To Fame’s older brother Swayzee upstaged him again in another epic Hunter Cup and denied him a $1 million bonus at Melton last night.…

More News

  • Georgies top flight return

    Georgies top flight return

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 534346 It was a day almost eight years in the making for Caroline Springs George Cross on Saturday. The Georgies made their return to…

  • Burnside on top

    Burnside on top

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 393637 Burnside Springs United couldn’t have asked for much more on day one of its Victorian Turf Cricket Association Russell Pollock Shield clash. with…

  • Additional health test for newborns

    Additional health test for newborns

    Victoria has become the first Australian jurisdiction to include sickle cell disease in its universal newborn health screening program. This expansion brings the total number of rare but serious conditions…

  • Aussie kids salt risk

    Aussie kids salt risk

    Research taken from Deakin University has suggested most Australian children are at risk of developing high blood pressure at a younger age due to eating too much salt. In a…

  • Celebrity alcohol ads slip into teens’ Insta feeds

    Celebrity alcohol ads slip into teens’ Insta feeds

    Celebrities are promoting their own alcohol products on Instagram without clear disclosure of advertising content and almost all posts are visible to underage users, according to new research from La…

  • New toolkit to help women report abuse in sport

    New toolkit to help women report abuse in sport

    Australian women face significant risk when disclosing gender-based violence in sport and often receive inadequate or harmful responses according to new research from La Trobe Univeristy. The research project, supported…

  • Finalists announced for AFL community venue award

    Finalists announced for AFL community venue award

    The 2025 finalists have been announced for the AFL’s Ken Gannon Football Facilities Award, recognising the projects that set the benchmark in best-practice design and development to support the continued…

  • Multicultural health committee expanded

    Multicultural health committee expanded

    Victoria’s Multicultural Health Advisory Committee has been expanded in an effort to make the state’s health system more inclusive and diverse. Health Minister Mary-Anne Thomas unveiled the strengthened and expanded…

  • Forum supports women living with epilepsy across all life stages

    Forum supports women living with epilepsy across all life stages

    Epilepsy Action Australia and Australian Women with Epilepsy are inviting women across the country to take part in a powerful one-day forum designed to uplift, inform and support women living…

  • Funding to improve road safety across Victoria

    Funding to improve road safety across Victoria

    Victorian community organisations and groups will get a total of $600,000 in grants from the Transport Accident Commission (TAC) to develop and implement local road safety projects. The funding, part…