MELTON & MOORABOOL
Home » News » High alert as record fire toll mounts across Melton

High alert as record fire toll mounts across Melton

The Country Fire Authority is urging residents to be more vigilant after a record number of fire investigations last year.

Investigators attended 50 fire scenes in District 14, which includes Melton, to discover the origin and cause of each fire.

The scenes were a combination of 35 structure fires (properties, sheds, factories, buildings and garages) and 15 bushfires, making it the CFA’s sixth-worst district for suspicious fires.

Investigators attend scenes when there has been a fatality, serious injury or significant damage, when the origin or cause of the fire cannot be determined, when a fire is deemed suspicious or when CFA property is involved.

District 14 fire investigation co-ordinator Geoff Ranzenhofer said many fires could be prevented if people were more careful.

“Firefighters spend a lot of time at fires that shouldn’t have occurred,” Mr Ranzenhofer said.

“I would estimate that at least 40-50 per cent of fire attendances may not have been needed if people had extinguishers on hand or were not doing tasks on high-risk days.”

Meanwhile, in District 15, which stretches from Moorabool to Ballarat, investigators attended 46 scenes (35 structure, nine bush and two vehicle fires). This was a significant jump from 28 investigations in 2013.

Mr Ranzenhofer said people were unaware how fast fires can travel and how much damage they can cause.

“They’re not aware of what can potentially occur and they’re unaware of how fast a fire can spread from something so small,” he said.

Many homes in Melton are without fire blankets, extinguishers and working smoke alarms, which are vital to saving lives and containing the blazes, Mr Ranzenhofer said.

“You’re looking at only $25 for an extinguisher, and smoke alarms are the number one thing that’s going to save someone’s life,” he said.

“The initial action of using a fire extinguisher reduces the impact of the fire.”

Be alert for arsonists

The state government is reminding Victorians to be on high alert for arson activity. Since December, the CFA has responded to more than 170 suspicious fires across the state.

“While it has been a relatively mild summer compared to previous years, Victoria is one of the worst bushfire risk areas in the world so people need to remain vigilant,” Emergency Services Minister Jane Garrett said.

“Arson is a cowardly act that can have devastating repercussions on the public and the environment.”

The Australian Institute of Criminology estimates about half of all bushfires are due to arson.

Anyone with information is urged to contact CrimeStoppers on 1800 333 000.

Digital Editions


  • Swayzee goes back-to-back

    Swayzee goes back-to-back

    Leap To Fame’s older brother Swayzee upstaged him again in another epic Hunter Cup and denied him a $1 million bonus at Melton last night.…

More News

  • Georgies top flight return

    Georgies top flight return

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 534346 It was a day almost eight years in the making for Caroline Springs George Cross on Saturday. The Georgies made their return to…

  • Burnside on top

    Burnside on top

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 393637 Burnside Springs United couldn’t have asked for much more on day one of its Victorian Turf Cricket Association Russell Pollock Shield clash. with…

  • Additional health test for newborns

    Additional health test for newborns

    Victoria has become the first Australian jurisdiction to include sickle cell disease in its universal newborn health screening program. This expansion brings the total number of rare but serious conditions…

  • Aussie kids salt risk

    Aussie kids salt risk

    Research taken from Deakin University has suggested most Australian children are at risk of developing high blood pressure at a younger age due to eating too much salt. In a…

  • Celebrity alcohol ads slip into teens’ Insta feeds

    Celebrity alcohol ads slip into teens’ Insta feeds

    Celebrities are promoting their own alcohol products on Instagram without clear disclosure of advertising content and almost all posts are visible to underage users, according to new research from La…

  • New toolkit to help women report abuse in sport

    New toolkit to help women report abuse in sport

    Australian women face significant risk when disclosing gender-based violence in sport and often receive inadequate or harmful responses according to new research from La Trobe Univeristy. The research project, supported…

  • Finalists announced for AFL community venue award

    Finalists announced for AFL community venue award

    The 2025 finalists have been announced for the AFL’s Ken Gannon Football Facilities Award, recognising the projects that set the benchmark in best-practice design and development to support the continued…

  • Multicultural health committee expanded

    Multicultural health committee expanded

    Victoria’s Multicultural Health Advisory Committee has been expanded in an effort to make the state’s health system more inclusive and diverse. Health Minister Mary-Anne Thomas unveiled the strengthened and expanded…

  • Forum supports women living with epilepsy across all life stages

    Forum supports women living with epilepsy across all life stages

    Epilepsy Action Australia and Australian Women with Epilepsy are inviting women across the country to take part in a powerful one-day forum designed to uplift, inform and support women living…

  • Funding to improve road safety across Victoria

    Funding to improve road safety across Victoria

    Victorian community organisations and groups will get a total of $600,000 in grants from the Transport Accident Commission (TAC) to develop and implement local road safety projects. The funding, part…